Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Well, iam looking to get a pylon. I dont have the funds to get a tower installed. So i found this pylon company that uses a "no holes drilled" type of installation. And i was wondering if anyone has used one of these? They have a reccomended wieght limit of 250lb and iam 245......The guy called me and said i shouldnt have a problem, unless i get really aggressive with it and i will pull the boat over?

So, if anyone has any insite that would be great.

This is the site- http://www.insanitypylons.com/

Thanks-

Or should just say screw it and save for a tower later down the road? I get plenty of pop now, i just want extra hangtime.....So idk if that pylon wuld help me or not.

(Message edited by ethan31 on July 07, 2007)
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
I made one of those back in the day for $100. for the prices those guys are charging you could almost get a tower.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
I would get a tower, but i dont want to install it myself, and i cant find a local person to do it...

Maybe if the boat was 10+years old i would...
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Then i would make one. I made mine with steel pipe. I drilled it and installed eye hooks much the same way that is shown on the insanity website. i then used plastic covered cable attached to carribeaners sp? and on the 2 rear cables i attached ratcheting tiedowns. The pylon had a pylon base which just sat on the floor. One layer of the base was a 1/2 peice of plywood. then i cut a hole in the other peice of plywood so the pylon would fit snug inside. I then screwed the two pieces together. I attached the support cables to the 4 cleats on our boat. And for a final touch i got a pipe cap that threaded onto the pipe that i used for the pylon. I drilled the top portion of the cap and installed a ball hitch.

It took me an afternoon to make and the cool part was that i could use it on my buddies boat as well. In fact i landed my first invert on my buddies boat with it. My brother and i also rode doubles with it so i know it was pretty strong.
I was able to do it without having to drill or make any modifications to the boat at all.
email me if you have any questions. I would hate for you to spend $500 plus on a product you could make for a fraction of the cost.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-07-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
$600 for that? Are you kidding. You think they would be using CNC aluminum for all the hardware, but no, they are just using cheap SS fasteners.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
Ask around, I know people that have pylons setting around from back in the day. I gave mine away two years ago just to get rid of it. Lot's of people with newer boats, or people who have upgraded to towers still have the pylons sitting in the garage