Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    nor_cal_01super            07-26-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
General questions for you all as this is the first year (out of 3) that I have had any motor probs and it is getting annoying!
CHeck engine light came on at the end of last year in the middle of a session at the end of a long day of riding. After 3 attempts with a mechanic over winter and a diagnostic tool it ended up being a oil pressure switch. I hear this is common for our motor, have you had to change yours yet?
SO that was a long drawn process but in the end I was happy as had my boat back. Now recently similar "limp Mode" issues have bene happening in the middle of a session, check engine light pops on motor cuts back to 2500 rpms, I let off, get back in neutral, light goes off and I can take off again no probs. I am not stoaked on that by any means but since it goes away I just deal with it. If you have had this prob and have a suggestion for solution please post.
Now on my last run my temp gauge was dead, does not move a mm, have any of you had any of these issues, I only have 120hrs on an 01 GT-40 and feel that i am having alot of small things happen and want to know if anyone else with this motor has some pointers and some proactive ways to keep this motor charging strong as it is the most BADA$$ ride out there!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
I would post your GT-40 problems over at www.planetnautique.com. Lots of other GT-40 Guru's over there that can help[ you with this problem. good luck sorry I cant help.
Old    nor_cal_01super            07-26-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Thanks Bling, will do...
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
First make sure:
1. Impeller/strainer/pickup is clear
2. Fuel filter is clear/new
3. Plugs/wires good/new

If it is actually in limp mode you should have the dealer diagnose it. A clogged fuel filter can cause it to bog though.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
Also make sure air filter/spark arrestor is clear
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
Check all senders as well, oil pressure and temperature sender malfunctions can cause limp mode.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Hey Emoney,

We are having similar limp mode issues with our motor, but am positive it is one of the sensors. Just not sure which one yet. The oil one will not check at all, so we think it may be that one. Gotta get some time to mess with it though.

At least you have a "check engine light", ours is on a stand that we broke it in on, so no check engine light means I am grasping for explanations. I may bring it into a shop to have them plug into it to see whats up. We'll see though.
Old    nor_cal_01super            07-26-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for the posts.
I will pull it out tonight and double check Raw Water Strainer, fuel filter and plugs and wires.

FLux, how am I checking my senders? I have been told to unbolt my lead wire the goes to the thermostat and ground it and see if that turns the light on, is that what you mean for me to do on all of my sensors???
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-27-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
E Money,

I had the same temp guage issues you have last weekend. I got home and lifted the whole dash pod...the spade connectors had come apart on the back of the gauge.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-28-2006, 12:26 AM Reply   
I know this may sound stupid, but make sure you check your vdrive and engine oil levels. Engine oil is an obvious one, but sometimes people forget to check the vdrive. I know the light will come on if you are low.