Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-31-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Was just notified that a local private lake that we ride on is trying to ban wakeboarding,skiing,tubing after 7pm is the proposal. The pontoon crowd feels they "can't enjoy the lake" with all the disturbance ect.. Wondering if anyone has run into similar situations and what if anything can be done. It's a private community lake and a vote is to be taken at a mtg. on the 9th. Word is out to others thanks to a fellow boarder but don't know how we are to get the word to all who may ride at the lake. They already have a ballast rule thet says "wakes can not be enhanced to a dangerous size" so everyone has to be careful about wake size, now we have this crap to deal with. $$ sure goes to some peoples heads as lake front homes are big $$$ and they complain alot about music,wakes ect... Any advise is appreciated.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
Find a new lake? Doesnt sound like that one is worth the trouble imo.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-01-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
the private lake I occasionallly ride has a similar rule. 7:30p during the week and 8 on weekends. really blows when the lake is glassy and you have to head in. I guess you have until Aug 9th to get as many ppl involved as you can. Do you have to be a property owner to vote? But, you're probably the minority and by a long shot. I would try come up with some compromise. like ride until dark on Tues/Thurs. Or something...

and I love how they left the "dangerous size" language in the ballast rule. lets Johnny Security Guard use his discretion/interpretation
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
we can't ride before 8:00am on ours, kind of similar but on the flip side of the day. It sucks and they enforce it.

10MPH, from sunset til 8:00am
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-01-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
the lake I grew up riding and skiing on, Lake roesiger in washington, has a 9-5 rule. I guess the fishermen have been there longer so they were the ones to establish the rules there.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-01-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
Brooke -sunset? that would be awesome. at least you can catch the glass.

Tell them make one part of the lake 5 MPH/ no wake from 7 till dark. this is bull shiat. Hate to see it happen to another lake.

Its the same as saying nobody but wakeboarders can be on the lake from 6pm to dark. it wouldn't happen, so why can't we use the lake like everyone else? Because 80 yr olds like to cruise the lake at idle speed right before dark. BULL SHIAT!
Old     (danadog)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-01-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
They tried to pass a no wake from 7 pm to 11 am on my old lake back in Michigan.
I started getting signatures from every skier/boarder/tuber on the lake and surrounding area.
Then we went to the board meeting and fought it.
We spoke of respect for every boater on the lake and the joys of living on a all sports lake.
We also mentioned that I would be selling our house the day the new law went into effect along with others.
The lake I had been on with that type of law were nuts come 11am. There would be 20- 30 skiers in the water with handle in hand at 10:55 every Saturday and Sunday. As soon as the clock hit 11:00 the lake went nuts.
Good luck and get out there and fight them!
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-01-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
We're just going through the same phase that snowboarders and skaters went through-years ago.
Are you a paid member of this private puddle?
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
i usually go out at like 6:00 anyway so it wouldnt bother me.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-01-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
10mph until 8AM? Sounds like an early morning SURF session to me!!
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
All of Thurston County, in Washington State is 11am-8pm. We always watch the glass disappear around 10:45am. I tend to ingnore the 8pm rule since that went into effect in like 2004.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
I live on the same lake...and I was the whistleblower. The lake iis no wake until 9am every day and the rule is no wake 1/2 hour before dusk. Near cincinnati in the summer, that can be 8:45-9pm. What seems to be fair, is if we carve out a niche for some, carve out a niche for all. Also, there are many of us who work every day and don't get home until 6pm. How can anyone be expected to get out and ride by 7pm and be done. Brian, I think we need to know how many boats are registered and what percentage are runabouts. I would think if you pulled your kids on a tube behind your pontoon you would be pissed if someone told you you couldn't do it during the week anymore.

On another note, the property owners don't get to vote, the board does that. I think if they hear enough people saying they don't want this we will be ok. We were telling everyone we saw on Saturday after being pulled over for a dangerous wake!!!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-01-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
fight it, fight it, fight it, If you dont and this catches on it will really suck for wakeboarding. You have to do whatever you can to win because you have the same rights as anyone.If this BS happened to me I would fight.It really p's me off just hearing about it.Freakin old geezers.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
Also be smart. Are riders riding until dark or first thing in the am with tower speakers full blast? Huge wakes crashing into docks? Sliding on private docks? Cursing and being loud and obnoxoius? The reason I ask is some riders are everyone's worst enemy. You can have 50 boats that ride on a lake but one who does the above ruins it for all. That's the one people remember and will get fired up about. Boats cruising the lake with tower speakers blairing are another way to get the locals against you.

Be pro active. First, make sure none of the above is happening and educate any one who is causing the problem. Second, befriend the locals. Introduce yourself, be active in the community, throw an event such "clean the beach day" or "learn to ride day".

I live on the lake and fill my boat up with 3000 lbs ballist. Yet even I get initially disturbed when I am on my dock and a boat comes by and throws a huge wake which makes a huge wake and rocks my world. Throw in some music with the fu.. word blasting onto shore with my little kids there and you have a recipe for disaster. I quickly recover but it makes me realize what other lake front people must think who don't ride. We have to be ahead of the game and endear ourselves to the people or we all will be riding somewhere different.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
As Eric mention the board votes on the matter. As for obnoxious boats/boarders have not heard many complaints and everyone is fairly considerate. IE turn down music after rider falls, not overly loud, ect... we have been property owners 30 years and it has been gettin worse thru the years, first they ruined the fishing with too much chemical weed treatments and the more house on the lake, the more complainers. Mostly the pontooners. I just hope we can work out a reasonable solution. As our lake partrol guy Paul puts it, "some people have seemingly nothing better to do than watch to see if someone breaks a rule, call him and bitch so they feel better". Problem is also our area does not have alot of good ridin water close by so having this private lake right here is nice, it' clean and has some fun very nice people on it. Except for the bitchers. Thanks for the input and support. We will fight it.
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-03-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
one of the lakes I go to kicks jet skis of at 7 p.m. because of noise, IT'S AWESOME, all the jet skis are gone when the butter hits.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-03-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Here is the best arguement:

A lake that put in rules restricting watersports to certain times saw a drop in lot prices from $3,500 per waterfront foot to $600 per waterfront foot. While the pontoon crowd may have the votes, the property values will plummet when the high-income wage earners will not buy on the lake anymore and they are stuck marketing to retirees who won't pay the bucks for their property.

Now, that owner's association is being sued by some of its members for "taking" of value. They will probably win and the association will either have to change the rule back or buy the property at the former value - and tax everyone else in the process. It is a real mess.

The pontoon crowd likes to have their way as long as other people's money is involved. When they have to shell out, in this case, about $20,000 per property, they don't see it as fun anymore.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Roger put it very well. I believe the key is respect... remember that your wakeboard specific wake is probably bigger than the average boat (pontoon ,runabout, etc) especially when loaded down with ballast. I think the bigger issue would be the music. Trust me i like loud music just as much as the next guy however there is a time and a place for everything. Expanding upon this is the loud music with the cursing, foul language, inappropriate subject matter. This is probably a bigger issue with the "pontoon folk". Mom, Pops, Gramps and Grammy typically don't want to hear that type of music. Especially if there are kids around. I would venture to say they have a lot more time, inclination, money and effort to ban something/anything on the lake. Keep in mind i am not a proponent of a ban, i am gently reminding everyone of the world outside of wakeboarders.

Don't be that rider/boater that complains that "so-and-so signed a ban against us" and didn't do anything about it. Go to the meetings, get involved, help out, express your concerns AND your rights. Can you hand out flyers? Send out mailers? Are there stores or marinas in the area that will allow you to display literature. Are you a member of the local business association, Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, etc?
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-03-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
The private community is very political. And yes many of us are very aware of the music volume and image. Eric and I can't speak for all wake boats but I am not aware of any major issues. We have had the lake patrol guy Paul ask us to turn down the music before but as he says, "just play some Stones and I will leave u alone" It's just some people on the lake bitch about everything and want all to cater to them. We all pay property and owner assoc. dues and rules like 7pm no wake are just plain BS. We will probably sell out if the rules go through.Too many people ski and board there and I would be amazed if it went thru, but I've been amazed before. As I said in opening post, I'm lookin for suggestions or others who have fought crap like this. We will be at the meeting to fight this crap.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-04-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
My friends parents had a house on a lake. It use to be so cool. Lots of young families, good people and fun. It use to be a kind of weekend getaway. The area is so beautiful that people started to retire and live out their lives. The "Newbies" started to complain about everything became board members (because they have the most time on their hands)and the young families started to move out because of all the restrictions and complaints. Kids could no longer ride their bikes on the streets (unless they were going from one house to another) dogs were no longer allowed on grassy areas, etc. Now it is a lake community for the retired home owners. They love it and they make the rules now.

My advice is get in their and fight for your rights otherwise you will have a community of bitching and complaining and no wakeboarding.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-07-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
I was at the lake Friday and the word is out. Should have a pretty good turn out of boarders and skiers to fight this. Will post the results of the meeting Wed. evening so others can see whats on the horizon.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-08-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
My sense from talking to the lake patrol and from hearing from a board member of another board is that there isn't a sentiment on the lake committee to shut down the lake from 7pm on. I would say that the ski club among others will be there in support of keeping the lake at speed until 1 half hour till dusk as it has always been. I think strong turnout will show that there is a good contingent of people who want to use the lake. Hopefully everyone behaves themselves during the meeting.

One caution is not to turn from this into the ballast/dangerous wake issue. They have already passed that rule and are enforcing it. We need them to peel that back which is going to be a much longer campaign.

Eric