Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old    bdogg            06-03-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
Okay, this might open a can of worms, but what does everyone prefer?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       06-03-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
V-drive... More room, easier to load down with extra weight, better seating arrangements.

-Blake
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
Pros and cons to both but what blake said,that about sums it up!Tho in the d-drive,it handles better and it's easier to put on the trailer but that's about it.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-03-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
V-drive
Old    supertahoe27            06-03-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
v-drive for sure if you are wakeboarding because you want more weight in the backend. direct drive for sking because you want the boat to plain better and not put out much of a wake.
Old    rmarion            06-03-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
Tige 22i, best of both worlds..............
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-04-2005, 2:57 AM Reply   
It was just a matter of time.
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-04-2005, 6:16 AM Reply   
I've never wakeboarded behind a V-drive but I hear that they are better. But I tell ya the wake behind my Tige 21i is pretty awesome!!!!!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
V- Drive moves more weight to the back... approximately 400lbs more when gas tanks are full. Nicer storage layout and passengers ride together, but everything seems to get wet. More difficult to service.

D-drive, passengers that was to stay dry are further away from riders getting in and out of the boat. easier to service. when the gas tank is full... since it is at the back... there is only about 300-400lb difference than a V-Drive.

Wake comes down to hull design and where the weight is placed. Not whether it is a V-Drive or D-Drive.

Manufacturers are making 90% V-Drives and 10% d-Drives... consumer demand... and going after the runabout i/o market too...

I have a v-drive... but if i plan on keeping a boat for a long long long time.. i will go back to a d-drive... something like the Svafara 696 or Tige 22i Type R.

I just think those will be easier to work on when they are 10-15 yrs old....

Just my opinion though.

In a V-Drive your gas tank get moved to the middle of the boat... so the weight is shifted to the middle... but the motor goes to the back so some weight is moved to the back.... d-drive.. you get the motor weight in the middle but the gas tank weight to the back.... so it is not a huge difference in weight.. maybe the equivalent of a fat sack!!!

Good thing right now.. those looking for d-drives.. prices have come down on the used market!
Old    ag4ever            06-04-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
I have a V drive, and want a D drive.

Or a 211
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-06-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
That Tige 22i is a pretty sweet ride!!!!!! I would love to have one of those instead of the 21i just b/c of the cool layout. But my lake has restrictions......so 21ft. is the most you can get plus they don't even allow V-drives!!!!!! Yeah I know it is stupid so I won't even get started!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
I agree with Kyle. Doesn't make a single bit of difference in wake. It is all about how you weight your boat. I try to balance my boat front to rear to get good wake shape and efficient acceleration. I just sold my DLX Sanger which is the same hull as a V210. We used to ride behind both boats on a regular basis and had the wakes nearly identical.

That said. You can't beat the storage and seating of a V-drive. When you have a bunch of people and gear on the boat that could very well be the most imporant factor for me.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2005, 5:47 AM Reply   
On the smaller boats 20 and 21 I like the V
( More room )
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-07-2005, 6:37 AM Reply   
if you had a d drive you could put more weight in the back than you would in a v drive and less weight in the center. it would be about the same i think
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
I agree CIE. I have a D-Drive and Storage sucks. I cant put a sac in the back trunk because the gas tank on my BU is caving in. So I have to put sacs on every side of the engine and in the bow to get a good wake. But I also don't have internal ballast either, so all my sacs are in everyone's way. If I put all 4 sacs in, I can barely fit 3 people.
Old     (rynron1722)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-08-2005, 6:21 AM Reply   
my .02 If you do all day lake trips with tons of gear and people V drive no comparison. If you live on the lake and are able to take the bags in and out and don't take everyone out on the boat then DD with a good hull should do fine.

Of course I would love to have a X star or a SANTE but with what I can afford my hope is to get a Mobius LS, 800# hidden ballast plus throw in my 2 fat sacs 1300# ( maybe ) my parents live on the lake so for me DD hits both world slalom and wakeboard.

again just an opinion
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-08-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
I ride behind an x-star (v-drive)and a pro air (d-drive. As far as being comfortable and having room, the air doesn't compare to the x-star. Also there is more room to weight the v-drive. As far as the wake shape, you can weight your boat however you want.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
i would say a v-drive, tons more room, and more comfortable for everyone..
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-09-2005, 2:49 AM Reply   
The only reason you would not buy a v-drive is money.

(Message edited by bwood on June 09, 2005)