Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    mrstark1            07-27-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone has any insight. We have an 02 xstar with PP from the factory, so I'm not real familiar with the install.

We were out this weekend and the boat all of a sudden wouldn't start after picking up a boarder. Never had a problem with the boat before. The only thing I noticed that was weird is the little knob that mounts to the PP servo was spinning freely (the set screw wasn't grabbing).

I'm taking it to the dealer this week, but was curious if anyone knows if that would stop the boat from starting?
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-28-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
I don't know about the PP servo - I never noticed if mine spins or not. However, does it turn over repeatedly but just never fire? If so, take out a spark plug, ground it against the manifold, and see if you have a spark. If not, it may be your "ignition control module". Mine went out July 4th weekend - the dealer said he has seen this a few times. For some reason, these things just die - along with the boat. Pretty simple to fix (it seemed) - and covered under warranty.
Old    mrstark1            07-28-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Keith. Yeah, same symptoms, just turns over and over and never catches. Good idea about the spark plug, I'll try that when I get home.

It definitely seems like it's not getting spark. Unfortunately my boat is out of warranty, so I guess I'll eat it. My freaking ballast system STILL isn't working right. They've replaced the impellers, which didn't work, then rewired with thicker wire, which now has 2 of the 3 filling. I guess I'll be doing a lot of wake surfing since the boat sits at an angle
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-28-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
Check the leash kill switch. Someone was setting in the drivers seat and accidentally bumped the switch just enough that the little button was not pressed all the way in. I about crapped when my boat wouldn’t start it took me five min to figure out
Old    mrstark1            07-28-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Matt, I called the dealer from the water and he had me by pass the safety switch by holding a screwdriver between two terminals on the transmission. He called it the neutral safety switch though, so we might be talking about 2 different things. I tried pushing the lanyard button in with my thumb, thinking it might not be going in far enough, but it still wouldn't start
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
Neutral safety switch will usually prevent the starter from turning over at all, not just kill spark.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-28-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
I had the exact same problem with my x-5, and called the dealer from the lake. The culprit was a loose wire connection on the engine. I can't tell you the exact location, but it was toward the rear of the block, 2 yellow wires held to a connection by a screw. One screw was loose. It was related to the neutral safety terminal so it would not turn over. Look in the engine and tighten all the wires and see if that solves it. Could save you from a trip to the dealer
Old    mrstark1            07-28-2003, 3:35 PM Reply   
Andrew, ours is turning over, but not starting. Did yours turn over at all? I'll go out and check the block right now. Thanks
Old    mrstark1            07-31-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
Took it to the dealer which is 3 hours away, he tried to fix it while we were there but couldn't. He said it had fuel pressure, but no spark. I asked him if it could be the ignition control module that Keith referenced and he said he's only seen 2 of those go out in his whole career. I told him I'd probably make that number 3.

I'll post up what the final solution is. On a side note, our '02 Xstar has not lived up to it's reliability and quality reputation, especially for 50k. Being stranded on the lake with your 50k boat being pulled by a 5HP houseboat isn't a very good advertisement. Don't even get me started about the ballast.
Old    jkava            07-31-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Mike,
I have an '02 Wakesetter and the ignition control module went out a few weeks ago. It's very simple to replace and it fixed the problem immediately. My dealer says he has replaced 3 of them this season alone. Maybe there was a bad batch of them from GM?
Old    mrstark1            07-31-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
That's what I expected it to be, but they just called and said everything was done.

The engine problem was due to the main engine wiring harness being corroded. He said he put (dylectric) grease on it and the boat starts fine now. He said the right rear ballast pump wasn't working because one of the wires wasn't crimped hard enough when they replaced all the wiring.

I have no idea how we corroded the main harness. The boat is only a year old and we spray the engine bay down with CRC every time out. Never seen salt water either. Oh well, I'm happy, it runs again, thanks for everyone's help!