Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-24-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
I am at a loss and I'm sure you guys can help me on this. We have a Nautique 216V, I know it's not a super air but we like to ski some too so we chose the crossover, and need some help on shaping the surf wave. I can get it big, tall and clean but it seems to stay long and never make that turn so it's running perpendicular to the boat. So it is real hard, if not impossible to stay in the pocket. It literally pushes you out so you spend all your time and energy just trying to stay in the pocket so you don't lose the push that you can even think about trying any tricks or truely surfing. Have I spent too much time putting weight in the front of the boat our of fear of have a wave wall that I've now made it too long? Would moving weight out of the front and to the surf corner help?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-24-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Pics might help. Also a description of where you have the weight.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-24-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
This is the only one I have right now, but you can get the idea from it. In this photo we had the rear port filled - 300 lbs and a 750 lb in the wlk through. Two 155 lb bricks in the bow and center ballast about half full or 125 lbs and just me in the boat driving.
Attached Images

Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-25-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
That wave looks pretty decent. Just re-read the original post and you said you thought the wave should be more perpindicular to the boat. You don't want the wave to be more perpindicular to the boat. My guess is that you are either too heavy for the board or you need more weight to get a bigger wave. Based on the looks of how you have the weight, adding more weight may not be possible. If you are too big for the board, try moving your feet up a couple inches towards the nose of the board, that should help you stay in the pocket easier.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-25-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Try slowing the boat down. You'll get a smaller pocket and more push.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-25-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
Wave is not the problem,get a better board.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-25-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
I guess these are all good answers and an easy fix. This is not me in the picture, but a much smaller friend. I am 6'-2 and 210, what kind of board should we get that would surf me as well as smaller people? The board in the photo is also not mine, but his. We have a long board which I am sure is not helping any. We have an old Ronix Stage. Is there a good board for people of most sizes or do we need to buy multiple boards?

I can always add more weight, if we did, pile it in the back or keep evenly distributing along the surf side all the way down that side of the boat?

Thanks for the help, I am sure you guys are tired of answering rookie questions from people who are trying to surf behind a boat not specifically made for surfing.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-25-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
Inland Surfer and Shred Stixx have a couple that will work.Blue Lake from Inland Surfer or Shred Stixx Piranha.
Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-25-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
I consider lake depth to be an important factor when surfing. When surfing anything less than 10' my wake loses push and size. As i go to deeper water the wake improves. However, the lake i ride is only 45' at the deepest point and this is when i feel my wake is the best. I am thinking if i was in 60' it would be even better. What I'm curious to know, is at what depth does the wave stop improving?
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-26-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
Check out Calmarinesports.com or towanza.com They both have a bunch of boards and knowledgable staff. If you are hesitant to spend a bunch of money on your first board, Triple X boards are cheap and people seem to really like them.

As far as multiple boards goes, it depends on the weight range. Don't want to make any assumptions, but you and you're wife probably can't share a board, but you and your buddy probably could.

As far as adding more weight, you'll have to mess around with where to add it. Weighting is very boat specific, meaning some boats get better waves with all weight in rear, some need a bunch up front, some need more than others, etc.

Slowing down will make the wave steeper but shorten the pocket. Most people run aroun 10-12mph depending on boat.

As far as lake depth, you generally need at least 10'. My lake goes to 200'+ deep in some areas, but I don't really see a difference in wave between 20' and 200'.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-26-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
Yes, fortunately my wife and I are not close to the same size so I guess we cannot share the same board. I'll check out the websites mentioned and see what I can come up with. I'll try to get a bunch of people weight on the boat since it's the easiest to move around and see if that does any good and where the weight makes the most difference.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
"This is the only one I have right now, but you can get the idea from it. In this photo we had the rear port filled - 300 lbs and a 750 lb in the wlk through. Two 155 lb bricks in the bow and center ballast about half full or 125 lbs and just me in the boat driving. "

based on that ^^^ you got great weight but you need to move it to the side a little more. If im reading it right you only 300 lbs maybe 650 depending on where the bricks are on the surf side of the boat. but you have 875lbs in the center. try putting that 750 on the seats or in the floor on the surf side. it should really kick up the wake and give it more push. that looks a little washed out and a little staight like you said.

id play with the weight before i started saying it was the board. if you can surf, you can surf doesnt matter what you are on.