Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       11-06-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
So whats the concensus/experiences on the best glove to use for winter riding? We've typically used an old pair of slalom Masterline gloves, keeps the wind off the hands, but thats about as far as it goes. I've heard of guys using neoprene gloves, like the surf gloves by Oneill, but some have commented that the feel of the handle is greatly reduced. Any recommendations?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-06-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
I wear some 1mm neoprene gloves. They definitely help take away the bite of cold water. The problem with gloves is that they make you have to squeeze harder to hold the handle and this causes arm fatigue. 1mm gloves seem to be a good balance between warmth and less fatigue. Any thicker and the fatigue increases because you'll have to squeeze harder to compensate for the thicker glove. I found my 1mm gloves at a local dive shop for about $15.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-06-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
I use a pair of Oneill Psycho gloves when it gets really cold. They are 1.5mm. Like Richard said, it does make your arms get tired faster even when they're thin, so I only wear them if I really can't stand the temperature that day.

Last edited by ferral; 11-06-2010 at 8:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-06-2010, 8:59 PM Reply   
Oneill Psycho 1.5mm's are the best glove I've tried. I don't find myself re-gripping at all. No arm fatige whatsoever, and no freezing hands.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-06-2010, 10:41 PM Reply   
http://www.clinchergloves.com/ultg.htm
If your worried about losing your grip. Grab a pair of these!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
I have some ONeill's also - not Psycho model but similar (thin and sealed seams). I try and keep my gloves dry for as long as I can when I use them - once they are wet your hands will eventually get cold. All gloves will limit your flexibility and increase fatigue, but once the air is 50 or below you basically have to have them to ride for any decent mount of time.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-07-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
^^^My hands don't get cold even when my Psycho gloves get wet. And no, not "all gloves" will limit your flexibility and increase fatige, IMHO.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-09-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
some rubber dishwasher gloves, add some hot water (inside the gloves), duct tape around wrists (not to the skin). Works for a while, until the water in the gloves get cold.

We used to do this when we rode (ride) during the winter in IL/WI.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-09-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
^^^ i've heard other people doing this as well under a drysuit to keeps hands warm. As long as your hands stay dry you don't really need the insulation, just the protection from the wind.
Old     (paulvette)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-10-2010, 5:19 AM Reply   
neoprene gloves definitely make you lose some of the feel for the handle and grabs but that said I have just bought Xcel 3mm drylock gloves, they are lined with bamboo charcoal and have the wind barrier material on the outside of the hand, I wore them this weekend with air temp below 50 degrees and my hands stayed warm and dry (yes, actually dry) for a full set - would definitely recommend them, very expensive but money well spent - was using the oneill 3mm gloves before these but wouldn't go back now......
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-10-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Me and my crew ride all winter and we wear the oniell phsyco 1.5mm gloves. You will notice your hands get slightly more fatigued faster but you will get used to it after a month or so. And your hands will not be cold at all. I picked mine up for $25 on amazon last year