Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone has had the experience with these two different wedges? I am trying to figure out if we should order the boat with the power wedge or the new free floating wedge for 2007. I hear that the free floating wedge is probably a better because one its 7 hundo cheaper and it adjusts its self. The power wedge is more $$ and you have the change of motor burning out or having problems after time? Any input or ideas
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-07-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
honestly, i dont know very many people that use it. we have one but took it off. it makes that top of the wake uneven.

power wedge might be different, honestly you cant go wrong with adding WEIGHT
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
Clay Has the power wedge on his Bu. I have played with it and I think its super cool. I mean you dont need it but what the hell $700 I would say no doubt that its worth $700. I bet it will help you on re-sale as well so just go for it
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-07-2006, 10:57 PM Reply   
You are already spending big bucks on the boat - might as well go with the power wedge. One advantage over the manual one is that you can adjust (trim) it. The manual one is either up or down. I know that during wakesurfing and wakeboarding, many riders put it half way, etc. At least you have that option. There is always your waranty as far as motor problems, but there have been very few issues with that as far as I know. Better for resale also.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-09-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
do the power wedge and you will never regret it.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-12-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
power wedge is great

If you don't like a typical wedge wake shape, just flip the switch and change it up a bit.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-13-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
Which boat are you considering? If you're looking at a VLX, or LSV, it probably makes sense to go with the Power Wedge. If you're thinking about a vRide or something along those lines, the manual Wedge may make more sense.

The main difference between the two is that the free-floating Wedge is going to adjust itself to the conditions (boat speed, ballast placement etc.) while the Power Wedge will allow you adjust it's position. The Manual Wedge gives you a great wake at any speed, but you don't have the control to make the wake steeper like a 210 at wakeboarding speeds, or bring the nose down at surfing speeds to make the pocket longer.

I guess unless you're looking at one of the entry boats in Malibu's line, or you're getting a boat that will be used for skiing a lot, with just a little wakeboarding, I would go with the Power Wedge. The adjustability, resale value and cool factor are probably worth it.

Jason
www.extremewakesports.com
Old     (vec)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-13-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
We have the Power wedge on our VLX, but we never adjust it. We have it all the way up, or all the way down.
The good news is that all you need to do is to flip a switch...

Wouldn´t get a new boat without it!
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-13-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
is ther an upgrade for 05's from manual to auto? or any for that matter?
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-13-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
David there is no upgrade available. You could technically ad the new free floating manual wedge but it would require an new wedge, bracket, and also assuming glass work to fill in the old holes for the old wedge bracket.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-13-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
I have an 06' with power wedge and have no complaints except its hard to determine where the wedge sits by the dash gauge. I've heard the floating wedge is actually better from the few peeps I know with an 07' and here it works even better for surfing