Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2004, 10:55 PM Reply   
First off, I have been lurking on here for nearly a year but never posted, so this is going to be my first.

I wanted to ask the group's opinion about an idea I had while driving today. Let me know what you think, and we'll take it from there.

Lake Osoyoos, near Oroville, WA, which is north of the Omak/Chelan/Wenatchee region, is home to the Can-Am Apple Cup Boat Races each year on the 4th of July weekend. These boat races are part of the American Power Boat Association, and have grown each year. They usually draw a pretty good crowd. In an effort to boost tourism and increase awareness of North Central Washington as a recreation/vacation spot, I would like to put on a wakeboarding competition/get-together in conjunction with the races. Now, I haven't talked to anyone involved with the boats, so am not sure exactly what format this might be. It could range anywhere from a small exhibition type event to a full fledged competion giving out money and prizes. There are 10-15 local riders that would be interested in an exhibition-type event, in between boat races, competing for say equipment or $$. However, having enough riders to support it as an individual event would be fine too, and with sponsors we could make the prizes pretty sweet. Of course, you would also get the rest of the time camping in a scenic area with a gorgeous lake for your use.

I personally think there might be a market for an event a bit bigger than just the local boys out showing off their stuff. Judging from the "Seattle scene" thread and the continued interest in Pateros as a wakeboarding destination, I believe there are quite a few of you or people you know that would be interested in heading a couple hours further north for an event/competition. I would like to know how many of you might be interested in coming to an event like this. Also, I would like just some general ideas on how best to set up an event like this in areas such as judging, entry fees, ect. While I enjoy wakeboarding with my friends, I don't konw that much about the competion side.

Lake Osoyoos would be a great place to host something like this. It is about a 10 mile long lake, roughly 4-5 miles in the US, and about 5-6 in Canada. 95% of the time, you can count the number of boats on the lake on one hand. On many evenings, we are the only boat on the lake. Temps are warm, hotels are cheap, and boat launching is easy. The area should be ideal for an event like this.

Ok, enough rambling. Let me know what you think. Are there other smaller competitions like this? Let me hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance
Bobby

(Message edited by wkbrdindmax on July 08, 2004)