Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old    bocephus            06-03-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Hey All,
Does anyone else have any details about the proposed waterpark in Mesa on the old Riverview Golf Course??

AZ Waveyard Watersports Park
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
ya its suppost to be the biggest water park in the usa. bunch of tree huggers are tryin to fight it cause its taking down a golf course.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
There is some information on their website http://www.waveyard.com/

Hopefully the Mesa voters don't screw this one up! So far city council is all for it and it will bring in a bunch of much needed money for the city. Plus it means a cable park less than 10 miles from my house!!
Old    alanp            06-03-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
make room on the couch chris
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-03-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
When is it voted on? How long will it take to build?
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-03-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
DUDE THAT IS SO AWESOME!
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-03-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
check this out

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/stories/20060923_01.shtml

(Message edited by wakeboardlasvegas on June 03, 2007)
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
The city council still has to vote on it, if everything goes well there (3/4 vote needed) then it will go before the public in November. They plan to break ground early in 2008 and open part of the complex in 2010. It is supposed to be more than just a giant waterpark and will have retail, condo's and a resort.

There are some people that are opposed to it b/c it means losing one 9 hole golf course and 4 baseball diamonds. I'm hoping that it isn't enough to stop the development.
Old    bocephus            06-04-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
The same people are trying to save Shalimar Golf Course in Tempe. The two groups have many of the same members...
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
What's going on with Shalimar? I love playing that course. I am horrible at golf and never feel bad for playing bad there
Old    bocephus            06-04-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
A developer bought it and is trying to develop the land. In the '70's one of the Phoenix Five lived in one of the custom homes backing the course and wrote some very good covenants and deed restrictions that have proved almost unbeatable so it will most likely stay unless something strange happens.
Old     (b_rad_b)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
I don't think there will be any problem getting this thing going. I emailed every member of the city council and they all responded positively. They all seems to be on board and willing to move the ball fields and do whatever else needs to be done for this to happen because they know the city needs it in a bad way. Also there is no major opposition, at least not like there was against the Riverview project. I have seen it written and heard that there would be wakeboarding facilities there (i.e., cable park). I hope it is true, but suspect that it is the result of an uninformed person adding it to the list of available activities because it is a watersport, not realizing it is a separate sport that needs its own space and equipment. I called the attorney who is representing the developers to see if there would be a cable park. He wasn't sure and said he would call me back and let me know. He never did.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
I looked over their website very carefully and they did specifically mention wakeboarding and a cable park. Since they have it on *their* website I can't imagine that it would be false or a product of uninformed people. Here's the link so you can read for yourself.

http://www.waveyard.com/wakeboarding.html

Bocephus - Thanks for the info on Shalimar.

(Message edited by cece on June 04, 2007)
Old     (b_rad_b)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the link Chris. I'm so glad to see that there will be a cable park. I've never been so glad to be wrong!
Old    bocephus            06-04-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Sure...check out

http://www.shalimarassociation.org/

I found at least three of the members (Board of Directors) on the same committee to stop the waveyard park...
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
Bring on the waveyard. It will be the best thing that happened to Mesa in a long time. Cable Parks are a ton of fun and I would love to have sliders and kickers available to session all day long. This park would definately help Mesa b/c I never go there unless I am going to Century Marine.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-04-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
It looks like I'll be looking for a job in phoenix in about a year and a half.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-04-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
There's an article about it in the AZ Republic today (Monday). Not a great deal of info in it other than if it goes ahead it'll be open in 2010. It'll have a lot of different activities/attractions.
Old    bocephus            06-04-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   

quote:

By Chris Watson (watsoc) on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:11 pm:

Bring on the waveyard. It will be the best thing that happened to Mesa in a long time. Cable Parks are a ton of fun and I would love to have sliders and kickers available to session all day long. This park would definately help Mesa b/c I never go there unless I am going to Century Marine.

That's where my boat is right now! Getting a 200 hour service. I haven't even had it a year yet either...
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
Ryan - good seeing you out this weekend. Sorry we couldn't talk more but we were trying to surf at the end of the day and we had to leave in about 1/2 hr. Do you want to join us at Apache the weekend of the 15-17th for some camping. I am getting pumped for the trip.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
hijack on

Ron, check out this link for the Vegas area

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/stories/20060923_01.shtml
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
or www.lasvegaswet.com
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 11:36 PM Reply   
That would be freakin awesome! My gma and gpa live in Mesa. Give me another reason to go down there! how long till they get it up if they get it approved?
Old    bocephus            06-05-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
What were he vote results yesterday, anyone know?
Old    bocephus            06-05-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
I still can't find the vote results from last night, but here is some good reading on the park...

AZ CENTRAL ON WAVEYARD...
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
It's up to the voters now!!

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/0605mr-waveyard0605-ON.html
Old    bocephus            06-06-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
I just hope it opens soon, maybe we can get some of the yahoos off ****icaca...