Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (OneMoreSet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-07-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Starting to look for a new boat (likely in the '03-'08 range) and wondered what are some of the better models are for wakeboarding specifically - wake wise.

There seem to be so many different models even within manufacturers lines - I couldnt possibly get a chance to ride behind all of them to know which throw the best wakes for wakeboarding. I was looking at Centurion and got a headache when I saw all the different models listed... No clue as to what the best of each brand are?

Looking at all different brands from Moomba/Centurion/Supra/Tige/Sanger/MB/Epic... Have a good handle on the Malibu, mastercraft and correct craft.

Thanks for your help!
Cheers
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-07-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
any idea what size you are looking for?
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-07-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing's top boats--

Centurion -
Enzo 230, 240, 230+, 240+, Avalanche

Tige - RZ2, RZ4, 24V, 24VE

Sanger - V215, V237

Supreme - V226

MB - B52 TWB, Tomcat 23, Tomcat 21

Epic - Probably the bigger one, but heard the wakesurf wake isn't that awesome, more of a wakeboarding boat

Supra - ?

Moomba - ?

Not an all inclusive type list, but enough to get you started.
Old     (OneMoreSet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-07-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Looking at the 21-22' range, but can be flexible, dont need a bigger 23 or 24 for my crew size.
And more specificially looking for the best wakeboarding wake - Not wakesurfing.

Cheers.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-07-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
also should of asked what a general price range is?

I really like the main brands you already said you have a line on:
Malibu: VTX, VLX
Nautique:SAN210
Mastercraft:X15, Xstar

I am not the biggest fan of Moomba/Supra and I have heard they are a little more weight sensative then other brands but I think you can get a lot of boat for the money in these:
Supra 21V, 22ssv
Moomba LSV, XLV

Centurions seem to be more identified with wakesurfing and if you ask here they aren't very highly thought of for wakeboarding. That being said I think the Avalanche is a little under appreciated and doesn't need much weight to make a really nice wakeboard wake. It is weight sensitive like the supra's I believe.

I don't know much about the Tige's but teh Z1 and RZ2 are both really nice boats from the looks and comments. Not sure on their wakeboard potential.

A couple boats I think you should look at and can probably get new for about the price of a 2 or 3 year old Malibu, Nautique, Mastercraft are Axis and MB. You should be able to get an Axis A20 or A22 loaded for 50-60. With the plug and play coupled with the wedge they throw an awesome wake according to people on wakeworld. I am sure Chatt can shime in on that.

As for MB they seem to be making the best all around boat for the price right now. Probably more finished and nice then the Axis. The 21TWB and Tomcat21 should be able to be had for low 50's loaded I think. They have 1800# of under the floor quick fill ballast and are suppose to throw awesome wakes.

you are in a really good spot where you can find a ton of really nice top level used boats as well as some up and coming awesome new boats.

i would lean towards a nice used VLX or SAN210 or a new A22 or one of the 21' MB's if wakeboarding was my main goal.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
I have an 07' Moomba LSV. It throws a descent wake. The surf wake is epic. With the standard 400lbs in the rear lock and another 400lbs on top of that, I can get a sick surf wake. Other than the Hull types and designs, another big difference is that the Moomba and the Supra use ballast bags. The other manufactures have built in hard tanks.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-07-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
Brett, you forgot about Sanger...lol

V210 - easily one of the best wakes for wakeboarding available (which is why they haven't changed it)

V215 - Also an incredible wake for wakeboarding.

They are also one of the better built boats out there, as their loyal following will attest.

(you'll notice that David won't buy one. Being that he is the type of guy that gets new boats every year, even he knows that once he gets a Sanger, he won't be wanting anything else...lol!)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-07-2011, 4:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Brett, you forgot about Sanger...lol

V210 - easily one of the best wakes for wakeboarding available (which is why they haven't changed it)

V215 - Also an incredible wake for wakeboarding.

They are also one of the better built boats out there, as their loyal following will attest.

(you'll notice that David won't buy one. Being that he is the type of guy that gets new boats every year, even he knows that once he gets a Sanger, he won't be wanting anything else...lol!)
I did forgot sanger. I should of put the V215 on that list. Sometimes I don't list it because it is 99% a west coast boat and I wasn't sure if the OP was a west coaster. But yes, the V215 is an awesome boat and should be able to be had for far less then the other boats I mentioned. You could probably find a loaded 07-09 for 35k or so. The V210 would be an awesome boat as well if the OP doesn't need much room and just cares about wakeboard wake. It doesn't need a ton of weight, is very fuel efficient, etc.....

Too many choices when 03-08 is mentioned.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-07-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3069 View Post
I have an 07' Moomba LSV. It throws a descent wake. The surf wake is epic. With the standard 400lbs in the rear lock and another 400lbs on top of that, I can get a sick surf wake. Other than the Hull types and designs, another big difference is that the Moomba and the Supra use ballast bags. The other manufactures have built in hard tanks.
Epic wave with 800# huh? Gotta see this.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-07-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Too many choices when 03-08 is mentioned.
Nah Bill, no such thing as too many choices, it's nice to be able to have them. Sifting through all the options can sometimes be daunting, but fun.
Old     (2008moomba)      Join Date: May 2011       09-07-2011, 8:02 PM Reply   
What speed and length do you ride at?

What is your budget?

Do you prefer a ramppy wake or a lippy wake?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-07-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
Seriously?

You will not be able to beat the x2.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
All you are going to get on WakeWorld is lots of opinions based on our personal preferences. With that said, here are my favorite 21 footers:
  • MB F21 or TWB (I've had them both... same hull, different bow, best bang for your buck)
  • Supra 21V (I just about bought one last spring... just a very sexy, clean looking shape, particularly like the towers and Z5 racks)
  • Malibu VLX (awesome interior, love the 2009+ hull design)
  • Mastercraft X15 (probably the best all around boat in the MC line-up, and the only remaining MC wakeboat with a traditional bow)
I'm a big believer that a good post has pictures. So, I give you a prime example of each boat I listed above. Each of these are currently listed on Onlyinboards... so I picked boats you can actually buy. Well... almost all of them. One of them is not for sale... yet.

Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-08-2011, 5:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Epic wave with 800# huh? Gotta see this.
We had 6 adults and 3 kids in the boat. Two adults and one child sat in the Bow, and the rest were in the back. I also had the 400lb center locker filled. The wake plate was up 100%. It was the best wave for surfing that I have seen yet out of my boat. It even had a small curl off the top. It was very nice. Actually, the Goofy side was a lot cleaner than the regular side.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-08-2011, 6:01 AM Reply   
If your primary factor of comparison is wake then it would be best to state your and your crews ability level. Do you ride stock ballast or slammed? How many people do you take out when you go? What size lake do you ride on? Everyone is going to recommend their boat because it's what they chose. For me an X-15 is perfect. Great rampy wake with good pop but not a wall like a Supra wake is to me. Handles rough water really well. Tons of storage. A little more free board. Easy to plug in additional ballast. Bow is big enough for people to actually sit in and high enough not to take water over it. Surfs well and throws a decent slalom wake with the plate down. We spend a lot of time in the boat not just riding behind so the layout and ride are hard to beat in my opinion. Perfect family wakeboard boat for good riders but a little too plush for die hard high level riders.

Malibu is riders ride. Very good wake that's balanced very tweakable. huge lounge area for a big crew. Proven history of building good boats.

Nautique's are very well built but the wake is too steep for me. I prefer I little more plush interior but the Seating arrangement is awesome. all around great boat.

Axis... Die hard rider boat. More or less only using the boat to wakeboard. Great wake. Most Axis reviews you read are focused on the wake.

You need to test drive all the boats and you'll find the right one. If there is an in water boat show in your area that's what we did. You could drive a Mastercraft one minute and be driving a Malibu 10 minutes later. Try to test drive in rough water so you know what you're getting. You wanna know if the windshield rattles or tower squeaks and stuff. Drive some double ups full loaded and see what happens. For my uses the Mastercraft was the best all around boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (OneMoreSet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-08-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the reply's - appreciate it!

I'm an intermediate rider - working on basic inverts spins, but wanting to progress. So I want a really good wake that I can use to progress on.

I typically ride at say 65' at around 21mph. But, have been riding slower ~20 on ~60' on a 2011 Malibu LSV which is really nice - clean, rampy but meaty enough... Also used to ride between 21 and 22 regularily on a older hull (2005) 22' SSV.

Test drove/rode an '05 210 SAN (no ballast) which was nice, not as "abrupt" as I've heard, but small landing zone.

Crew is small - typically 3-5people on boat, incl. rider.

Generally ride with "light to moderate" ballast - typically stock sized in malibu/supra (~250-400lb rears, and 500 ish? mid/front)

Pricing... Well that's all over the place... but looking for a solid boat in the 03-08 range - so that would place me at say 30-45k range I guess looking at alot of listings, which is a good bit higher than NADA and from what I'm seeing - and looking at where transactions are acutally getting done at suggests lower values as well, nearer NADA..

Funny - last boat i bought in '07 (supra 22ssv) which was 2yrs old with ~50hrs and now 4-5yrs later the same boat is typically the same price (but older and more hours) than what I paid then... Economy cant be that bad if people can really hang on to luxury items like that!!

Cheers.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-08-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
One thing that has probably already been mentioned is get a boat that you can get serviced close by your location.Service is key to long life.All of the above mentioned boats have great wakes.In your price range MB and Axis will probable be the newest boats you will fit into budget wise.Then Supra,Tige,Malibu will not be far behind ,as they will be slightly higher than MB and Axis.The Nautique and Mastercraft will be the highest in the same model years.Good luck with your search.