Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
I would like to know when you should change your plugs cap and rotor?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
Change depends on the condition of your current stuff. Pull your plugs and if they look chewed up/broken down change them. Make absoultly sure you replace them with the correct plug's the wrong plug by only one heat range can cause a melt down.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
I change mine every year. The moisture in the motor box, is murder on that stuff. It's cheap to replace the cap and rotor ($40), and spark plugs are only about $3 apiece. So for $65 give or take, you know that, that portion of your ignition is "ready." I paid for the annual service provided by my shop. I did the cap and rotor this year. There is no way they had ever touched it. There was green corrosion on every piece of metal in there.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Looked at them and they all looked good. I have like 700hr on the boat. Runs good I think I will change them anyways.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-18-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
At 700 hours I would change them too. A/C Delco makes a great marine plug out of stainless. You can cross reference the part number of the plugs you have now, probably Champion's.

Don't you have a ProBoss GT40 motor? So no dist cap or rotor.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Peter, yes thats what is in there. I am going to order Plugs and Cap and rotor. I always use Discount Marine I have been using them for years.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-18-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
What engine do you have Squid? I highly doubt you need cap and rotor, because you engine doesn't have them. Most any Carquest autoparts store etc. should have the fuel filter, oil filter, and spark plugs for your boat in stock. Seems much easier to me just to go and pick it up. Well that and I always get a discount with anything auto parts related. Call first to see what they have, just have the current part number ready for them.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
I have the Pro Boss GT40. Ya your right on the cap and rotor looked at it and its a damn box. Ok I will see what are on my boat and get them cross referenced. Thanks again motor wizard.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-18-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
I changed the plugs in my Sanger at 450 hours and they still looked new.