Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       09-20-2011, 6:01 AM Reply   
He rode the Vantage bindings this weekend and loved them. Easy to get in and out of, good support and comfort and still came out of them on hard falls. Would recommend them if you are looking for velcro straps and no laces.

My CWB AA's on the other hand are going back. Ripped out of clamps this weekend. Straps come loose on harder falls and heels clips don't stay closed and don't work anyway. Good concept but poor execution. I am usually a big CWB fan. Riding my old Answers until I get new bindings.

I am considering Ronix Ones or Cells or Liquid Force Watsons or Shanes for replacements. Can't find the Vantage in my size (plus my son doesn't want me to get the same as him).
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-20-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaddy View Post
He rode the Vantage bindings this weekend and loved them. Easy to get in and out of, good support and comfort and still came out of them on hard falls. Would recommend them if you are looking for velcro straps and no laces.

My CWB AA's on the other hand are going back. Ripped out of clamps this weekend. Straps come loose on harder falls and heels clips don't stay closed and don't work anyway. Good concept but poor execution. I am usually a big CWB fan. Riding my old Answers until I get new bindings.

I am considering Ronix Ones or Cells or Liquid Force Watsons or Shanes for replacements. Can't find the Vantage in my size (plus my son doesn't want me to get the same as him).
that's awesome you ride with your son. my dad couldn't care less about me riding. i had the 2010 AA boots for about six months until the straps finally broke. the boots became shredded and ripped over time, and i usually ride something until it has absolutely gone to *****. i don't mind if my gear looks beat up... it gives it character haha. which is why i switched to Liquid Force when they came out with their hybrid boards. i wanted boards and bindings that could be ridden into the ground for at least a full year. i felt like my AA boots just depreciated faster so i went with the Vantage Boots and the Shane Hybrid. the Vantages are lasting a lot longer than the AAs i think. don't get me wrong, CWB makes some of the best products around... i just think Liquid Force fit my preferences.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Strap bindings all the way, no laces!!!

could try getting another years vantage to look different than son if you really liked them too
or try another brand's version of them besides CWB
*Gator Phantom
*Obrien has one open toe though, but i think there is a closed toe for 2012
* Slingshot will have two closed toe versions in 2012, one with a removable liner and one without. not to mention they are the first ever to offer TRUE REPLACEABLE straps which is **exciting** to me. i have wanted strap type boots ever since 2007/2008 since the vantage but waiting for someone to make the straps replaceable. seems silly that no one has done it yet. so much easier to warranty/ replace than an entire boot when velcro goes out

Last edited by wakerider111; 09-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       09-20-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
I really was hoping straps would work for me, but I think I need a stiffer binding. The Gators do look like nice bindings. Watch those replaceable straps - that was what CWB was trying to do with the AA's, but they come off the binding altogether on hard falls and then are really hard to re-attach in the water with the bindings on.

Adam: Sorry your dad doesn't embrace it too. We have fun riding it together. However, I can tell you it's frustating as heck when he is almost as good in 3 weeks of riding as I am after 3 + years!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-20-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
My AA's were far from what I had expected them to be. They were some of the most uncomfortable bindings I have ever put on, and anytime I went big and landed hard the velcro popped off every time. They were stiff and supportive but had a ton of pressure points and the hinge felt like it did nothing to my heel. Still have love for CWB, but they need to take their bindings back to the drawing board (The Marius's are slightly better but for a high end binding you still get crappy thin laces with cheap plastic lace locks).
Old    readyaimfire            09-20-2011, 10:33 PM Reply   
I love my vantage boots too! Supportive yet flexible and they release. I came out on a failed 7 attempt the other day. Awesome boots!
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-21-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyaimfire View Post
I love my vantage boots too! Supportive yet flexible and they release. I came out on a failed 7 attempt the other day. Awesome boots!
yes, the Vantage boots do release pretty well. i came out on a failed 1260 attempt the other day. ....oh well, maybe next time.

HAHA, just kidding. but yeah, i'm done with laces. i've been winching more too, so straps just makes it easier to get in and out of.

anybody know what the changes are to the new LF base plates? i saw they modified them
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaddy View Post
Watch those replaceable straps - that was what CWB was trying to do with the AA's, but they come off the binding altogether on hard falls and then are really hard to re-attach in the water with the bindings on.
Slingshots method is better. i can think of a method that would be even more secure (like a ziptie where it loops through itself around one of the d rings). but anyway. CWB straps velcro to the boot. slingshot straps velcro to themselves and go around 2 d rings, one on each side. I tried the 2011 options and though they attach with velcro... as you tighten them it pinches the attachment velcroed pieces so that they are less likely to come apart. basically you got constant pressure on the pieces.

>>>BUT this is from an IN_STORE experience and NOT actual wakeboarding
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
Was just thinking that if someone wanted to make the straps more secure on the slingshot boots it would be easy to glue, stitch, or rivet them together and then when the velcro wears-out just snip the straps off, put new ones on and start again.
... cant do this with CWB, you'd just end up with a setup like the vantage's straps

BUT if someone really loved the fit of the vantages specifically and wanted replacement straps it would not be terribly difficult to take the existing straps and sew a D-ring into it to create a set-up similar to slingshot and then either make your own straps or buy Slingshot replacements and make a LF/SS hybrid velcro boot HAHA
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2011, 10:45 PM Reply   
steve - +1 finding a pair of Vantages in a different year/color so that they look different... OR, tell your son to "pound sand" and get the exact same pair.

I switched from the ronix cell to the vantage. I thought going from a real stiff lace boot to a loose velcro boot would be difficult, but it is not. I was in love with them after the first set. I never ever want to have another lace ever again!!!

It makes getting in and out easy, and in the water adjusting is so much easier than with conventional laces.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       09-22-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Johnny: Ironically, I decided to go back to laces & getting Ronix Cells. I am a tight binding guy and just don't think I can get a velcro strap tight enough for my liking. I will however tell my son to pound sand if I have to if the laces get to me again.