Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-30-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
So I have the opportunity to get a lift thats in good working shape on the lake i live on. Its already in a slip and i can sublease the slip. A few questions about lifts. The ballasts on this lift are made of a rigid plastic about a quarter inch thick. Still cylindircal like most metal ones i've seen. Is this plastic better or worse and why? Also is 2200 a bit steep or a pretty good deal. It looks to be in good shape.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-30-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Price wise you are going to have to specifically say what type lift it is. As in brand capacity etc. I'm assuming its a "air lift" that sinks or floats and then is kept in place by pilings. Versus a lift a boat lift that sits on the bottom of the lake and uses mechanical arms with a winch to lift the boat up and is self contained and rigid. I know the floaters alot depends on the brand and the pumps. Also the install.

I would think the plastic barrels are as good as steel. They are never going to rust and get a pin hole like the steel ones do. But on the other hand with a serious enough impact they could break, but the same impact would render the steel barrel useless as well. I'd say their just as good and wouldn't think twice about them.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       11-30-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Most of the newer ones I've seen have been plastic. I just had a customer that put in a 40k dock and lift and the lift is all plastic tanks so I would imagine at that expense they would not have used something that was "less quality" or "unreliable". As far as facts between the both I really don't know but depending on the metal it could rust and plastic obviously won't so there's a plus. As far as price, that's not bad but you have understand it's like a house, location is everything. To lease the worst slip on Lake Tahoe is still probably more than 2200. As long as everything is fully functional, location is where you want, and the bunks are set up for your hull, you will have no issues.

Last edited by wakedaveup; 11-30-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: words
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-30-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Yeah i live in a lake community all docks are community owned and its only 250 a year to lease the slip. The lift i would be buying and it would be mine for 2200. I dont know brand. but its a 4k lb lift. and its an air lift.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-30-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
I see your in MO. Google around L of the Ozarks as thats all thats there for lifts. There's always used ones around and you should be able to get an idea of price. Are you renting it? Is that what you are asking if 2200 a year is a good deal to lease a slip with a lift in it? In that case it all depends on the slip. Last place we slipped, slips with a lift were about 30-50% more if they had a lift. They were always full because your boat isn't sitting in the dirty all the time and will take less wave abuse.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-30-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
My ex in laws live at Lake of the Ozarks and he used to sell jet skis and lifts. I know those things are touchy. As in the old ones sucks and what not. They lose tanks and part of the lift sinks etc. If you don't know anything about them I would suggest getting it checked out by someone who does. I know the blowers are the things that go out most often.

So you would move it to your slip? Would you just tie it in or have it installed with pilings?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-30-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
What i'm asking is if 2200 to outright buy a 4000lb air lift is a good deal.

As for the slip we lease slips in my community for 250 a year from the HOA. There is a 7 year wait list to get your own currently. All lifts must be front/dock mount. The slip this lift currently sits in is avalaible to be sublet from the current lesee.

I was also inquiring on the pontoon quality for plastic and i like the answers i got thus far should be good. no rusting and i wont hit it ...
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-30-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
2200 depends on the brand and the weight capacity of the lift. I have my boat at lake ozarks on a 4500lb plastic air type lift. New I think it would run 4-6k, used 2-3k. Not sure as I got it included in another purchase.

the brand name should be near the pump box some where. I think the square plastic lifts hold more weight than the tube style, they are also open on the bottom. which is this?

only issue with plastic is you need to power wash maybe once a year to keep it looking decent.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-30-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
I have a Hydro Hoist.. the thing is fantastic. Mine is the one good for up to about 6k lbs. I've never had to power wash it, only issue I've ever had was the pump motor died after about 6 years - replaced it myself for a few bucks and good as new. Can't say whether or not yours is a good deal or not - bought mine new (the dealer is a neighbor and friend).
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-30-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
Jess like I said above I'd get on Craigslist or similar sights around your area and see what they are selling for. Seems like a fair deal. Make sure it will take an inboard boat. Most are set up for a V hull with the motor on the back and don't have the clearance for a prop and rudder underneath. If it's letting you jump a 7 year waiting list I'd do it regardless even if I overpaid and had to retrofit. You'll use your boat way more and it would be worth it for that reason to me.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-01-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
I think i'm gonna buy it... its a poly lift ... thats the brand they are out of the Lake of the Ozarks area of MO