Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (txcraig409)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-13-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
so i know its right to offer gas and clean up to get a pull. my question is... lets say you are chillin at a party spot with your expensive boat and a young guy walks up to you carrying a board and asks for a pull. what would make you inclined to pull this fellow... a can of gas? 20 bucks? 50 bucks?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-13-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
if its a soven brother or rusty or shaun or some other guy like that I will pull them for free!!! (to me they are young)
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-13-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
I don't pull strangers due to liability factors.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-13-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
nothing, I pull anyone who asks anytime. I remember being a young kid and not having a boat and dying to get a set behind a fourwinns, whaler, 190, whatever. It's pure luck any of us are fortunate enough to have a boat and I recognize it is a responsibility to give back to those who are in the position I was.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
I think a big factor in this is whether you have a family on board or not. If I have a family on board, don't even approach. But if its just the guys, I think $50.00 is a decent offer to get pulled until you're tired. That may seem high, but I'm usually out there with friends having a good time, laughing at and making fun of each other, making inside jokes, etc. I'm not out there to give strangers rides.

That maybe slightly selfish, but I don't pick up hitch hikers also.

With that being said, I love the "Find a third, be a third" section on Wakeworld. That seems perfect for the wakeboarded without a boat, and the boater without enough people to go out with.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
Gangstar, I like your favorite trick in your profile.
Old     (mrcerretti)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-13-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
hell yeah............fortunate enough to have a boat!

Ever heard of pay it forward!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
We don't really have a "party cove" on our lake but if someone on this site was in my town and needed a pull I would do it no problem, or usually when I meet someone I always give them my number and an open offer to ride.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
I've been that kid asking for a pull before. Even did it at Boardstock a couple years. So if the guy seems like a descent guy, then I will usually give him a pull with no expectations. At some point I think it would be ridiculous, ie; if he rode for over an hour & crashed a ton or asked if he could bring a ton of friends. But I've never been in that situation & had to deal with it.

I've also hooked up with numerous riders from this site & several others, and have tons of friends & stories as a result.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-13-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
Bu Coo- this season I finally locked down the first half of that trick and the second half hasn't been seen yet.

Figured I'd put my money where my mouth was- if anyone needs a pull in West Michigan:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/53686/734153.html
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
if i got room, gas and not in party mode, i will pull you if your not super lame.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
I'd give anybody a pull from this site anytime... And the random guy, if he (or she, I won't judge <grin>) seems cool, sure. If it turns out good, they might even get invited out sometime. In fact... (shameless plug)http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/53686/733267.html?1252702096
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
i've "thumbed rides" (as i call it) for quite a few years now.

Being on the other end I:
*Bring all my own gear, snacks, and water
*Offer gas money (usually $20 is good, if they even still want it in the end). and occasionally i have offered a wabboba ball for compensation too (bounce-on-water balls that i bought in bulk thinking i would sell them)
*Remove my footwear before getting in the boat
*offer to help flag, wakeboarding/driving tips, wipe down, etc.

once i met a really awesome family and we really hit it off. I brought some wake vids out later that evening and showed them off in their RV trailer.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-13-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
most anyone all the time respect the boat i have met some of my good riding buddies like that
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-13-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
I always pull unless we don't have time.

Strangers are friends you haven't met yet!

My daughter & I were on vacation in WV. Our friends left a day earlier than us, so we made friends with some teenagers from Ohio that had an I/O. We spent the rest of the day pulling them and even ate supper at thier campsite that evening.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
I pick up strays all the time, gives me kick to hook people up. I wouldn't ask them for gas money but if they didn't offer or show a "gratitude attitude" I wouldn't take them out again.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-13-2009, 11:16 PM Reply   
I agree. I will give anybody a pull. You never know when you will need a third. It is nice to have numbers. I have a kid at my lake that has not given me a dime all summer, but he has his boating license and when I am up there just with the family it is nice to have a third. Worth it to give him a pull so I get one. Who else will get up at 7am.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-14-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
I always give pulls, even have gone looking for that kid killing it behind the Hurricane deck boat before. I am sure I made their day, just like some dude did for me in 1989 with his Correct craft 2001. I will never forget that first wake jump behind a weighted inboard.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
We were pretty much beginners and had a boat LOADED with people..... and a guy in a 14' john boat floated up to us with a paddle... and asked for a pull.... did not have a single thing with him. We said yes out of confusion and he said ok.... I will go get my stuff... which threw us for a loop. We tried to avoid him when he came back and just kept riding. Finally someone fell and he came up to us. So he got on the boat.... and then he KILLED IT... we were amazed!

But to answer the question.... no... he is the only one we gave a pull to.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
carter, I would normally just pull some stranger whenever they would come out with friends. Now, however, I'm two months into law school and I'll never pull anyone but my regular crew again. Cruisin' for a financial Bruisin'
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
So I'm curious. Cody & Carter. Are you saying you can more easily beat your own friends in a lawsuit than a stranger?
Or are you naive enough to think you can't be sued by your own friends?
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-14-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'll never pull anyone but my regular crew again. Cruisin' for a financial Bruisin'
i have pulled anyone, even solicited riders for a third so we can ride when someone does not show up. what is the real liability that we are taking when we pull an unknown as opposed to a "regular"? i'm not being a skeptic, just interested in knowing what the real risk is?

i have heard stories of neighbors nailing each other for the kid hurting themselves on the trampoline, jump rope, etc, (no first hand experience in this)

maybe some of the law guys can enlighten us and help us others from losing our rides?
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-14-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
A friend of mine got hurt on a trampoline once. Busted up his teeth pretty bad. His parents sued the guy who owned the trampoline for the dental bills.

It all got kicked back to the home owners insurance, but I still thought that was pretty crappy since we asked if we could jump on the trampoline and there wasn't really anything about the injury that was the fault of the owners other than they owned the trampoline.

At a minimum, if you are going to pull strangers, or even friends, be sure you're covered by insurance and that your payments are up to date.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-14-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
So an attorney or pre-law fill me in here. How exactly can you get sued for something happening behind your boat? Here me out now, I am trying to open a window for the debate. I can understand where the law suit arises if they are in your boat (your personal property) but 60 feet plus behind you and them on a public body of water at the time of incident? Seems debatable, but I have no law experience.

BTW I got my boat when I was in high school and still remember vividly what it was like not having access to a good boat. With that said if you want a pull behind my boat you are more than welcome to wait your turn and ill pull you till your arms fall off. Heck I don't last but 4 falls anyway and I assume to be burning gas with a rider out back.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-14-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Yeah, I've given pulls to perfect strangers. There's been a few times when our third cuts out early and we weren't quite ready to call it a day, so what do you do? We pull up to the nearest boat and ask them if they'd mind being our third and in turn, we'll give them a pull. Haven't been turned down yet.

This summer, while camping, I met this kid whom was really stoked on riding. I could tell, because he kept asking a ton of questions about my boat, board, etc. I then asked him if he wanted a pull and man he was super stoked. I talked to the kid's uncle/parents and they were cool with it. Long story, longer, the kid was extremely helpful on the boat and very appreciative. I even went as far as to letting him know about this site and how I got hooked up with a bunch of riders on here. I'm just glad to share the stoke!!
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-14-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
How can you get sued?

If you are driving your boat pulling someone and your negligence causes them injury like pulling them into a dock you will get sued.

Many boat policies now have these Medical Payment benefits that health insurance companies will want to be reimbursed with if you are getting pulled on someone else's boat that has this type of policy and you get hurt. Unless you lie to your health insurance company about how the injury occurred they will go after that boat policy for money.

It seems at this point the only safe thing to do is to only ride behind your own boat and only let your kids ride behind your boat. I ended up coming up with $1000 out of my own pocket to pay my health insurance company when my daughter hurt herself behind a friends boat and lost the friend in question.

I take out a friend and his teen age son pretty regular. His son thinks he's invincible and attempts some things way beyond his ability and ends up with some pretty big slams. Lately I have been telling him I don't want him doing stuff like that behind my boat as I don't him to find out he's not invincible behind my boat.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-14-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
Attorneys just take the fun out of everything. You can get sued for just about anything that happens on your property, including your boat. There is very little common sense in the law anymore on liability issues. Fall on someone's driveway...nail the homowners insurance, try some crazy shiz on a wakeboard, nail the boat owner who was driving you good lines all day.

Off box now and back to originally scheduled programming, yes, I don't think I have ever turned a random rider down, but there are situations when I might not give a pull. I too have been that guy looking for a pull.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-14-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
^ a guy down the lake from us was stuck with a lawsuit because another boat (driver was drinking) hit my neighbors boat while it was on the lift..... nuts. His logic was the swim platform extended past the lift which was a hazard and very unsafe.... long story short the moron drunk lost and I think there was a countersuit.... the neighbor has a nice new boat
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-14-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
haha this reminds me of a good story...

one time we were getting my friends VLX untarped and off the lift for the day, and this young kid (16-17 yrs old) came down and asked if he could have a pull... my buddy said "sure go get your stuff" and he ran (no, sprinted) off to get his gear. so we load up and take him for a pull... i think that was the most faceplants i have seen in one session, in my life. kid would not quit, it was awesome! after some 30+ minutes of backslaps and faceplants, he came in and we took him back to the dock... he was like "thanks so much man, i left beer for you guys up on shore" and he parts ways... we say thank you and look on the shore, and there sitting on the bench, is one lonely bottle of Pilsner... HA! kid probably stole it out of his dad's beer fridge... just awesome.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-14-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
I am not inquiring lawsuits from my negligence though, as I don't see any question there. I do see a debatable argument about said person wanting to sue me just because he tried to exceed his limits and got hurt behind my boat. I am not going to add in he got hurt due to his own actions because that doesn't matter in today's law. More so I see room for a case in the boat owners favor because the place he was injured was not in your boat it was behind the boat on a public water way.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Yea, but aren't you supposed to be responsible for your wake?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
I would give him a pull, as long as there was room in the boat and my fuels not empty.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
I would too. As long as there is room in the boat I am more than willing to help a guy out. I explain the rules before they get in and as long as they follow them its cool. I was without a boat once before and loved it when I could find a group to let me join in.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-14-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
I don't sweat the lawsuit thing. Granted I've only had family, friends and friends of friends (who I never met) on my boat.

It's ludicrous to get sue happy if you hurt yourself behind my boat when I'm kind enough to offer a ride. I believe most people are decent enough not to sue if they hurt themselves. Now if I am negligent, run someone over, tow someone into a dock or piling, etc. then it's my fault and I get what's coming to me.

I've never had any complete strangers on the boat but I welcome anyone who wants to come. I may not have the best ride but it gets us out on the water and having fun. I'm always looking for a third so anybody is welcome. If you offer a couple bucks great, if not I don't sweat it since it still costs less to gas the boat for a full day of riding than many of my friends (who won't get up early to ride) spend at the bar in a night of drinking. I'd rather spend my play money on gas than at the bar.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-14-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Be careful, you can get sued.I was pulling my daughters friend and she got hurt. her Mom said that acidents happen, and now i'm getting sued for her falling down behind my boat. i did nothing wrong,even my insurance said that it is not my fault. but they can try to get money out of you.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Not a boating story but related to the how you could get sued comments....

We used to be big into MX and had a track in our back yard. One of my best friends and his daughter were regular riders there. This guy is like a brother, was and still is.

His daughter (who is an excellent rider, national amateur champ) crashed on a double and broke her arm.

He took her to the hospital and they started asking questions. How did this happen, where were you at, etc.

He told them he was at a public riding area. If he had told them that he was on private property I guarantee you his insurance company would have been after me (or my insurance company). This guy knew the risk of riding and would never do anything to put blame on me or lose a place to ride. But his insurance company would...

Also, God forbid, if someone would get seriously hurt to the point where they ran out of insurance and they had no money left and their only option was to go back to get money from where they got hurt....I mean what would you do if your daughter was laying there in a hospital and needed more medical attention?? I am glad that never happened....But it could have.

That said, I think it's great that there are people out there given others pulls and just using the golden rule. But lawyers and insurance companies don't always follow the same rule.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-14-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
I gave a pull to a passerby in an i/o...now he is buying my boat.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Similar to FJK's story, and for all of you who think your above being sued by your own friends.....

My brother, his girlfriend & his boss were out riding on Canyon Lake in another friend's boat. At some point the rope got tangled up in something on the boat, and Debbie reached back to untangle the rope just as the driver hit it. The rope got tangled up around her hand.... broke like 3 bones, tore up the muscles, tendons, etc. She was a mess & had to endure multiple surgeries, treatments with leaches to increase blood flow, etc. Literally years of treatment. In the end they had to attach one good tendon to all 4 fingers, so she can open a door or hold a cup, but she can't play the piano or even type very well (no idea if she could before anyway).

So her insurance company paid up till they ran out of money. Then they started suing the boat driver's & the boat owner's insurance companies. Keep in mine these are all friends. But their insurance companies didn't give two cents about that. They went for the money. As I recall it was in the $100s of thousands of dollars by the time it was all said & done. And there were at least 3 different insurance companies' policies involved.

Frankly I don't think it matters if you know the guy or not. If he seems like a good guy & you have the time, share the stoke. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your "playing it safe" by only involving your close friends in your boating activities.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
I'd do it for sure, always keen to meet new riders, first time I hit rails was on a club boat, it was an organised event but I'd never met any of the guys before but they were cool and really helped me out since I'd never hit a rail before.

If someone got hurt on our boat I'd get them taken care of, like drive them to hospital... but not expect to have to cough up because they hurt themselves. Then again in NZ if you go to hospital you can get treated without losing your home or having to sue anyone.

I tow friends for free their first time out, I'd probably expect some gas from someone I met at the ramp though.

(Message edited by jtnz on September 14, 2009)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-14-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
A friend may be more likely to be a little more vague on some of the details when they roll into the ER though, but yes there is always a risk when someone gets on your boat, buddy or not.

If you have a few assets, an umbrella liability insurance policy isn't too expensive and should kick in for these situations. The medical liability on most boat policies is a joke, I think mine is $5K per incident.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-14-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
"Yea, but aren't you supposed to be responsible for your wake?"

You are right, another way they can throw the fault at you.

On another aspect, I do understand why boat insurance is a joke compared to auto when concerning incidents. Not all but majority of the people who get treated after an auto accident at the hospital usually walks away from the car with minor bumps and bruises. I have never dealt with a boating accident on the job but from my own carnage and seeing the stories that appear on this forum some serious impact has occurred when someone is going to the hospital due to a boat related accident. The average bill is to high to cover.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-15-2009, 2:22 AM Reply   
Well, I guess I'm in the minority in this subject. It makes me feel a little better about humanity knowing there are so many people willing to help out the up and comers, and less fortunate. I've got to be honest though. I'm still a little surprised about how many people would let strangers on their boats.

Not that I've come across too many people asking for rides, but maybe I'll be a little more nicer if asked for a pull. I might even lower the fee from $50 to $25!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-15-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
[EDIT] Also, nothing below is to be construed as legal advice, it's simply an unlicensed opinion based loosely on a case I remembered.

Whoa, didn't know this thread blew up like this regarding my comment.

Charnis v. Watersport Pro, LLC

Charnis goes to a wakeboarding camp, ...

"In the contract, Charnis “voluntarily and freely” assumed the “inherent risks and dangers” associated with the “dangerous sport[ ]” of wakeboarding. (Dkt. # 58, Mot. for Summ. J. Ex. F.) Charnis also “fully and forever waive[d], release[d], and discharge[d]” Watersport of all liability, including “injury resulting from any and all actions or inactions of Watersport Pro, LLC, or from any other cause or causes.” ( Id.) Charnis also agreed to “release[ ] any and all claims against Watersport Pro, LLC, its employees, instructors, [and] agents ..., including any claims caused by the negligence of Watersport Pro, LLC.” ( Id.) At the time he signed the waiver, Charnis affirmed in writing that he was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and that he was of a sound mind." 2009 A.M.C. 1299

Still, regardless of this, the Court denied dismissal of charges because there was alcohol on the boat. The Plaintiff stated that Monteleone "drove the boat 'in a very dangerous manner' by 'making turns to cause Plaintiff to have to navigate over the wake left by the boat,' thereby causing Plaintiff to fall awkwardly and fracture his right tibia in six different places." 2009 A.M.C. 1299

The court denied all motions made by defendant and found them in liable to suit and punitive damages.

So, even with the liability form you're not free and clear. Yes, you risk as much being with your 'friends,' but what are you going to do? Not go out with other people? I just don't like to risk it with strangers.

(Message edited by loudontn on September 15, 2009)
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-15-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
I'm not a law student but a lawyer, admitted in Missouri, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

In June, an older I/O without a tower, and with three college freshmen and a sole wakeboard, approached my boat with me and my friend, and they asked for a pull. I not only did so, but I would ride many times more this summer with the one who was the most enthusiastic.

The case of Amir Charnis is settled now. Probably the defendants forked over some money. Here is more of the Court's summary of the "pleaded" (not proven) facts in the Summary Judgment motion.

Charnis does not contest the legal enforceability of this waiver. He does, however, allege that Monteleone brought alcohol and marijuana with him on the trip and that he consumed both substances while operating the boat. In addition to his own testimony, Charnis offers the testimony of Jason Landver and Omar Lari, two of his friends, who state that they saw Monteleone consume alcohol and marijuana on board. Charnis alleges that when it was his turn to use the wakeboard, he entered the water and situated himself on the wakeboard. While he was
wakeboarding, Charnis claims that Monteleone drove the boat “in a very dangerous manner” by
“making turns to cause Plaintiff to have to navigate over the wake left by the boat,” thereby
causing Plaintiff to fall awkwardly and fracture his right tibia in six different places. (Dkt. #72, Opp’n 3.) Charnis alleges Monteleone drove in this manner because he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-15-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
I have actually gone to a dock (different place than I usually ride and was in hotel) and had a sign that said "need a pull" haha....of course I paid $50 for gas, had all my own gear, brought cooler with monsters, helped spot, helped load, wash and dry the boat......guys always calling me wanting me to come riding now haha....its always good to leave a great impression..
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-15-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
"guys always calling me wanting me to come riding now haha"

i'd guess. wow. travel to Branson much?
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-15-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
haha na only travel in GA pretty much lol
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2009, 11:55 PM Reply   
free or twenty. depends.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-16-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Man this is a tuff one. I started my skiing career being that guy(looking for a pull) and got many a pull and made some great friends for life. However in todays SUE happy world it scares me to pull a stranger. Especially one under age where the grieving parents will be coming after my butt should something go wrong my fault or not. I heard a story a few years back about a person who's foot got caught in a rope in a boat and pulled into the motor(old inboard), anyhow the injured persons insurance company sued the boat owner(a friend), the dealer who sold the boat, The boat MFG, the engine mfg. The ski rope mfg. and so on and so on and everybody paid out. I love teaching and sharing the stoke of our beloved extreme sport but that extreme sport has extreme risks. I unfortunately have worked to hard for what we have and do not want to loose it just to be cool.Read about the beginner who broke femur just trying to get up
Old     (txcraig409)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-19-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
wow this post really blew up. haha i havent been on in since i posted.

i appreciate all the input. i was just curious because i am always too embarrassed to ask for a pull. but now i think i might. my main reason for wanting a pull is that my dad has a bayliner and its the only boat i have ever been pulled behind. we are now looking into buying an older ski boat and i just want to know first hand the difference in the wakes
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
Hey Craig my dad has a ebbtide...I have ridden behind a Tige RZ2 and a SAN 230....wake is def significantly different...i have to take really REALLY hard cuts to clear wake 85% of time behind mine....when I did that behind the SAN I landed about 15ft out into flats....
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-20-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
About 12 yrs ago I had a guy I've known since 7th grade (was my best friend for a long time) sprain his knee behind my boat while riding his own board. He was the type of rider that has no warmup routine, charges the wake as hard as he can every time, and rides away from a HS W2W about 60% of the time. He went to the doc the next day, and it was just sprained - no real damage, no brace, etc. He then calls me to ask who I had my boat insurance with so he could file a claim for his doctor visit. I told him he'd have a lot bigger problems to deal with than his sprained knee if he tried to do that. Never took him riding again, and it really made me aware of the risk I was taking.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Trace I can relate to that story. I injured my knee here about a month back while I was behind a friends boat. Went to the doctor filled out the paper work gave them my insurance card. I told them how I injured knee "wakeboarding".they said "on your boat" I said "no on another guys boat" they said "do you have his insurance information". I was like "no" as I didnt want to file on the guys insurance I will be using my personal medical insurance. It was not fault of his I got hurt. (well maybe he had his cc2001 sacked to the gills and the wake was like a brick wall) But seriously though I cant file on him, i really dont know if he carries insurance, because i got hurt while I made the choice to get out there and ride.So it does kind of make you think twice before you just pull anybody because you never know what is going to happen. I in an effort to grow this sport give pull anybody anytime but it does scare me to think what could happen if someone was to get hurt bad.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-21-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
Kevin if your insurance company is anything like mine they will now send you out a form asking how you got injured. If it was wakeboarding and you tell them they will now want the Boat Owners insurance company to confirm whether or not his policy has a medical payout benefit.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-21-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
I give pulls to tons of people, and have never had an issue. It is still a concern though, and I do carry an umbrella liability policy in addition to my boat policy.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-22-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
I know the drill - I tore up my knee last year on my dirtbike, and had to fill out a 5 page questionnaire about the circumstances. Difference here was my buddy had no health insurance. Not my effen problem.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-22-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
The problem here is that the insurance companies are writing boat insurance policies that pay out medical benefits whether your are negligent or not. Can someone familiar with this comment on whether or not you can be sued by someone or a insurance company to claim that medical benefit? In other words if you are not negligent in giving someone a pull and they hurt themselves does the fact that you have a insurance policy that pays out medical payments mean you are now legally responsible to file a claim against your policy and pay that person?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-22-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
My son broke his arm in our driveway on a skateboard. Blue Cross said they have the legal right to file a claim aganist my homeowners insurance to recover their cost. I'm sure if it was someone else their insurance would sue to recover.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-22-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
Check out this article.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/KnowYourRights/EmployersGrabAccidentVictimsCash.aspx
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-22-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
I would have told Blue Cross that your son was riding in the public road outside your house.

Blue Cross may have had a legal right they also would have to prove that you were negligent. Did they actually end up doing this?
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-23-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Talked with my insurance agent last night about this thread and what my insurance would do for a situation if happened and this is what he said. If someone,friend or whoever got hurt on or being pulled by our boat my boat insurance would pay for a certain amount of what we have for coverage, medical/etc. After that they would have to prove that I/we were negligent and that my insurance would stand behind me if sued. So in order to make my self feel better and the person I would give a pull to covered I have decided with my agent to increase our insurance on everything and put a blanket policy on to cover over that in case of a bad situation is ever happened...which I hope never does. Also this covers all the children that come over and use our trampoline with our children...if no safety enclosure that would be considered negligent and could sue, so I guess to be safe we chose the extra insurance.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-23-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
I pull people all the time. I also have a 2mil umbrella just in case.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
So what if/should I have a liability release that I have every person that comes on my boat sign? Would that take care of it? I can't afford any additional insurance.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-23-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
From what I understand from my agent on a liability release, it probably won't hold up. He said that they...being other parties insurance and/or lawyers always seem to get around liability release/waiver when in court. I should have asked this question and I might... what about video recording the people/person you pull? We are usually recording the kids and friends all the time anyway, would that help in case of an accident to show no negligence?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
We own the boat, ATVs, a golf cart, a home & 3 dogs. After a friend had some legal problems as bogus as some of the issues you guys have described, we figured we are exposing ourselves for problems with the toys. So we setup an umbrella a couple years ago that covers issues with everything..... even if someone is chased down the driveway by the dogs, trips on our sidewalk, bounces off the golf cart, dorks their head on the boat & I accidentally run them over with the quad..... oops.

Cost was less than $200 per year in addition to all the other policies..... which amounts to less than $20/mo.

The difference is that now when a lawsuit comes up against you, the insurance company is going to assign some cut throat lawyer to your case to protect their money.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-23-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
I have given them a few times and got the "I will give ya some gas money next time I forgot to bring my wallet". Next time its the same thing so I stop giving pulls.
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-23-2009, 11:11 PM Reply   
Matt, the reply to the 'I forgot' routine is: 'Sorry mate, I forgot to put fuel for you in the boat'.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-30-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
This is a very good thread!
One thing i would add is that if you collect ANY money you might be more liable. Do it for free! Not worth it!
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-01-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
I don't have a expensive boat but I will and allways give someone a free pull. If they start coming out with me on a regular basis then I expect fuel money. I was also one of those guys on the beach hoping for a pull when I was young.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
"Matt, the reply to the 'I forgot' routine is: 'Sorry mate, I forgot to put fuel for you in the boat'."

Going to start using this one.

"Do it for free! Not worth it"

I really do wish I could afford to pay for everyones gas but I would go broke quick.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-01-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
I do it all the time. I love wakeboarding and live to spend my time on the water. Even if that means just pulling someone. One day this summer the wife and I were off work and hit the lake early. We were coming back in because she was ready to go, but I am never ready to leave the lake. When we returned to the ramp there was about 12 teenagers all taking turns behind a jetski wakeboarding. I asked them if they were waiting on someone with a boat or were just planning on taking turns behind the jetski. The jetski was all they had so I offered to pull them all day as long as they put gas in the boat. We pulled the boat to pump they filled it up and we ended up staying until dark. It was a blast.

I am the guy usually with out enough people so if someone is looking to ride, I am all about it. I don't really like to "hang out" and party unless it's July 4th.
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
"I will and allways give someone a free pull. If they start coming out with me on a regular basis then I expect fuel money"

Same here. On a side note, I seem to get stiffed more often by fellow boat owners then anyone else. For me, I just want to know up front. If you don't have money, fine, let me know before you ride, most likely I will still give you a pull.