Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
I can go wake to wake but can't seem to get very far into the flats when i try to. Am i doing something wrong?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-05-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Maybe You Are In Too Close To The Boat, Or Maybe Your Rocker Is Too Abrupt. Are You Flattening Off At The End Of Your Cut Or Are You Cuttin Through The Wake?
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
me too. seems like when i cut hard to go into the flats i just go straight up and like 3 feet past the wake, making the landings extremly ruff on the knees
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-05-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
Cut out farther before your approach, and generate more speed than you would for a lofty wake to wake.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
My rope is at 68'. Is that too close? I don't think the rocker on my natural is too abrupt and I know it's a pretty fast board. I figured it was probably my body position, but i don't know what it is about it.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
its all about your edge and how much speed to generate. cut out further and when you ride up the wake flatten out a little. when you land make sure you land on edge cutting away from the boat. otherwise the board wants to stop and you will go out the front
Old    bocephus            06-05-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
I don't think rocker has much to do with it. I land out in the flats no matter what board I am on, from a Absolute Platinum, Motive, Byerly, Fish, Roam, Era, Player, etc..., it doesn't matter. Try riding out further before your approach and edge all the way through the wake. I can land in flats on pretty much any line length from 50' to 85', the longer the line the more speed I end up generating. Now if someone could tell me how to stop landing in the flats that would be good!

Also what wake are you on? I ride behind a SAN 210.

In summary I think it's all technique, not equipment.

Good Luck!
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-05-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
Personally I think its exactly what trevor said im sure rocker has some to do with it especially 3 stage but I dont think its key factor. The longer you hold your edge through the wake the further into the flats you fly. If you let off your edge a tad early and know how to time it youll get a straight up pop.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
I ride behind a 04 Malibu wakesetter LSV(same hull as all 05 and up wakesetters) with old manual wedge and stock ballast(250 in each locker, 350 upfront, 400 in center. total of 1250#)
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Does anyone think it will help at all to move out to 70'?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
And what speed do you people ride at 70'. I need to get my PP calibrated, but I don't think my dad wants to. I've been riding at 27 and it breaks pretty close to me. I'm thinking at 27 its more like 23 or 24.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-05-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
when i ride into the flats i ride at 75' and at 22mph so i dont know if this benefits. i normally dont ride fast so it might work different for you but just make sure you cut out far and go balls to the walls and make sure you hold your cut for a nice pop into the flats
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
I ride 75 ft rope at 23mph-24mph and ride a 07 shane and seem to have just started learning how to land into the flat's, but I think with enough tuck and spotting the landing in the flat's that it will help. I could be wrong
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
If you are riding 70' behind the Bu, it's a wider wake than a SAN 210 at 85 feet. (I have owned both boats.)

I ride 80-85 feet on the Bu depending on how much effort I feel like putting into it on any given day. My perfect pass is off but it says 25mph even (probably 23-24).

If you want to jump into the flats on any boat, it simply takes speed and effort coming into the wake. Use a progressive edge and build up. The harder you are cutting at the wake, the further you will go. Period.

Rocker and other equipment issues have little to do with it. Boat speed + effort + speed at the wake = distance.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-05-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
Edging Techniques: http://midwestwakeboarder.com/modules/articles/item.php?itemid=3

A nice article written for us by a former world champion, covers all the different edging techniques for different manuevers.