Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-07-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Who do you have your $ on to place 1st ,2nd ,3rd , and why?

INVITED RIDERS:

Shane Bonifay

Harley Clifford

Nick Davies
Raphael Derome
Olivier Derome

Adam Errington
Clay Fletcher

Tom Fooshee

Dominik Guehrs

Danny Harf

Randall Harris
Collin Harrington

Kevin Henshaw
Dominik Hernler

Cody Johnson
Steel Lafferty
Jimmy LaRiche

Keith Lidberg
Rusty Malinoski
Shaun Murray
Chris O’Shea
Nate Perry
Brenton Priestly
Aaron Rathy
Brian Reeder
Marc Rossiter

Erik Ruck

Chad Sharpe
Dean Smith
Phil Soven
Bob Soven

Kaesen Suyderhoud

Shota Tezuka

Nico Von Lerchenfeld

Shawn Watson
JD Webb

I'll post my picks later. I know I'll be right so I hate to influence your picks...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Raphael Derome.
JD Webb
Keith Lidberg
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2012, 10:19 PM Reply   
overall is limited because few got invited for all the events.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Could really care less about big air. Want to take my son down there for the boat. However some places say not open to the public. Does anyone know whats going on with this. Will it be somewhere watchable or not.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-09-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
The boat portion, held on Thursday, is closed to boat traffic. The way theyre setup would force everyone to be in the channel between davis & harbour islands anchored up which stinks. So that day the best view is from jacksons or convention center.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up I will drag my family down there.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Unfortunately the boat comp is being help privately somewhere in Pasco (not in the bay) on Thursday and is not open to the public. I am not sure what is happening on Friday but Saturday will be the big day out in front of the convention center.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Good question. I hope Tom Fooshee makes the podium for big air and cable. I'm guessing it's going to be more of a wake-the-line setup for the cable comp. 1 maybe 2 ramps and a mashup up rails/boxes in the middle. Although it's not the typical cable setup that Tom crushes, I bet he'll transition well. Anyone know if the big air will be towed from a boat or cable? If it's cable, he'll probably do well there too. I hope to see some doubleflips from the riders!

Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-09-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Raph Derome
Rathy
Oli Derome

Not just saying that cause I'm Canadian.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-09-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
Unfortunately the boat comp is being help privately somewhere in Pasco (not in the bay) on Thursday and is not open to the public. I am not sure what is happening on Friday but Saturday will be the big day out in front of the convention center.
Damn...i was just with a redbull girl the other night whos helping put this on. Maybe i was too drunk and misunderstood her. I'll text her in a minute
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-09-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
Better watch out for these bad boys. Biggest bull shark Ive seen caught out of the Tampa Bay waters lol was caught this weekend by the HF bridge.

Ive seen 3-4 footers but not 10' 400lbs. No wonder the fishermen are always tellin me not to dangle my legs on my sup in the water.

Apparently more aggressive than great whites but hollywood makes you think other wise.

Happy boating
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
Whats the point I can watch kids kill it on big kickers at McCormicks was hoping to see boat. Will probably blow the entire thing off.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Better watch out for these bad boys. Biggest bull shark Ive seen caught out of the Tampa Bay waters lol was caught this weekend by the HF bridge.

Ive seen 3-4 footers but not 10' 400lbs. No wonder the fishermen are always tellin me not to dangle my legs on my sup in the water.

Apparently more aggressive than great whites but hollywood makes you think other wise.

Happy boating
Holy SH*T! I was riding by the Howard Franklin on Saturday. As far as where boat will be held I am just stating what was told to me by the owner of liquid sports who are sponsors for the event. I called to sort a warranty issue and we started talking about the event and after I said "yeah I can't wait ot watch boat out there he said.......ermmm...welll it's actually not being held there. I had to beg and plead and beg some more but might be getting to watch the boat comp. I think it is being held where they filmed defy because he was telling me the spot its at had water like the Caribbean and thats the only spot I can think of around here.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Whats the point I can watch kids kill it on big kickers at McCormicks was hoping to see boat. Will probably blow the entire thing off.
optimal tv coverage, which I appreciate
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-09-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
Ur source is right. I was told Blue Lake which is kinda odd and its out in Clermont
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
Here's the thing: why try to host a wakeboard boat event when the conditions could be terrible as they might be in Tampa Bay (I think somebody said something earlier about the choppy waters of Red Bull Fluetog last year)? Especially if it's going to be on NBC. Can you imagine if it's so choppy the best riders in the world could only land their most basic tricks with a large TV audience watching? I think a made for TV wake event is a good idea. With really good water conditions, we're going to see some pretty crazy riding. And this was never meant as a live/large audience event, it's all about TV. Good or bad, you decide. Think along the same lines at Red Bull Supernatural, Travis Rice's made for TV snowboard contest from this winter.
And it's not the Blue Lake from Defy near Clermont. Apparently there's another blue lake closer to Tampa. Everybody start the Google Earth search..... now!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-09-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
Blue lake hudson(pasco county)...my source new it was blue lake and when i thought of ronix i thought of their lake in clermont
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-09-2012, 4:13 PM Reply   
And yes...conditions out there for flugtag were terrible. Anchors breaking lose, strong tidal currents and it took me everything i could do to paddleboard that day when the winds picked up.
Old     (Chaneyjl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-09-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
The Malibu Facebook page earlier today had the address and everything for the Boat portion on Thurs. I was going to head up there on Thursday(Almost 1.5 hour drive). But when looking back later today I began to see that the Boat Portion was closed to Public. I like Tampawake was going to take the Family. My 5 year old tried getting up this weekend for the first time. He tried for 30 mins, then finally got about a 20ft ride. He is already wanting to go back and try it again.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-10-2012, 5:44 PM Reply   
Found these photos...of the UNIT setup

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-11-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
I'm flying in on Friday morning. Anyone else going for friday and saturday?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
This is the address they gave I google earthed it and cant seem to find what would be a boat lake.

Boat Venue
Sunwest Harbourtowne
17251 Old Dixie Hwy
Hudson, FL 34667
727-863-1556
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
So does this mean the boat event is now open to the public or did Malibu blow this?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=17251...rce=gplus-ogsb

I have always wanted to know where this lake was. Anyone live up there willing to make a pass and see if they are setting something up?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-11-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
But im sure if you show up with your kids, theyll let u watch it.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
@LR3 I ride over on Lake Carrol and gonna be bringing my 5 year old to McCormicks to ride the junior very soon
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-11-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
@LR3 I ride over on Lake Carrol and gonna be bringing my 5 year old to McCormicks to ride the junior very soon
Sweet! I now live on Magdalene. Apparently you know who I am at McCormicks
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
Not sure who you are out there. I just come up with my kids to watch they are finally getting the itch to try it. I have ridden up there 5 or 6 times. Saw your profile I am a big bolts fan so Mike and I have been chattin.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
Chat - I am going Friday @4 and Saturday @ 7-8 AM to beat all the knuckleheads at the ramp. If you would like to hop on the boat let me know. If no one else does I will try to post pics of the boat event tomorrow.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-12-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
I wish I was out there today vs stuck in the office. Never knew this sweet looking lake was only 30min away..think this is the area where the proposed cable park is suppose to be.

Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-12-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
Harley just posted that he won today.
Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-12-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
Yup, Harley, Rusty & Raph Derome podium. Pretty crazy that Raph won his semi-final heat against Adam Errington, Phil Soven and Danny Harf.
Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-12-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
Raph has to be sitting pretty good as a favorite at this point then.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-12-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
That's a stacked heat... Raph is kicking ass this year all over the globe. Glad to hear his boat riding is catching up to his park. He's got this one in the bag but it will be a hell of a show.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-12-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I'm flying in on Friday morning. Anyone else going for friday and saturday?
Ya I'll be there Fri/Sat. sportn' a TMC shirt.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-12-2012, 3:46 PM Reply   
That spot was the sickest lake I have ever been to. LR, yes that is the proposed site for the cable park. Apparently they want to build a resort as well. What's crazy is that I found out from someone who is from that area that it is a bit sketchy and they have pulled out many many bodies and cars out of there. Supposedly there is still an ambulance down there.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-12-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
Also the comp was sick. A couple of highlights were Rusty's osmosis 3 and Adam Eringtons HUGE 3 to rewind which he unfortunately did not ride away from but to me, that was the sickest thing I saw all day. I will be curios to see how much they show on NBC. That reminds me I need to set the DVR.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-12-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
I'll be down there in whatever the VIP area is supposed to be. I'm sure I'll be wearing some axis stuff.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-12-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'll be down there in whatever the VIP area is supposed to be. I'm sure I'll be wearing some axis stuff.
I'll be in the same area.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-12-2012, 6:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Chatt...I too will be in the vip area on Saturday, my buddies will be there tomorrow as I have to work
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-12-2012, 8:16 PM Reply   
I'll be wearing a black billabong trucker hat with some Jamaica looking stripe on it. I'll probably look hungover too. Hollar if you see me!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2012, 6:39 AM Reply   
I will not be in the VIP area but bringing my kids to the Big Kicker contest. Tried to swing VIP I have a friend Miles Dasher a Red Bull BASE and Skydiving athlete.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Harley already won the boat, but I definitely would have guessed him or Phil since those two have won basically every boat comp for the last five years.
Raph is my pick for the rail part.
Big air could go to anyone.

If there's an overall winner, I think Raph is the easy favorite now after a surprise 3rd in the boat comp plus being the favorite for the rails and having landed double inverts off the kicker in comps before.
Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-13-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Raph won Big Air today as well. With park being his strongest event, you gotta think he has it sealed up.