Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    deltahoosier            05-15-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
I have a 1999 Ford Expedition and I had bought a five prong recepticle for my stock wiring adaptor (round 7 prong?). The adaptor does not release the brakes. The dealer said it is a Ford thing and that the adaptor works on the Chevy. I used to have a trailer with just 4 prongs and my 4 prong adaptor on the truck worked fine. Now, I have the electric release for the brakes. I currently just do the flip 180 method to get by, but, I just want to get it working correctly.

Has anyone else had this proplem? I am almost tempted to just splice the fifth wire into the backup light wire on the five prong. Any suggestions?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-15-2003, 5:00 PM Reply   
On my F150 I had to install a brake relay for the brake release to work. It goes into the fuse box under the hood and is a small black cube with a few prongs on it. Mine came with the trailer towing package but neither it or the electric brake relay was installed.

Look in your manual and hopefully it will give you the info that you need.

Old    dmpappy            05-15-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
Check your 7 pin receptical. The 5th wire on mine was not attached when it came from the factory. Wired it up and now everything works perfect.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-15-2003, 5:53 PM Reply   
Like Bill said, you have to install the brake relay under the hood. You can check the relay box to see if it is installed or not?

Check the manual and good luck.....
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-15-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
Well one of my friends delt with the same thing the first time he went to tow with his F150. Turns out the relay was left in the glove box.
Old    wakelvr            05-15-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
Hoosier: Sounds like an end user problem to me.

Hey Rod: So what's the latest? Have you moved yet? Seems like you dropped off the face of the earth! Tell Cas hi:-)
Old    krug            05-15-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
I have a chevy, mine was just a fuse blown. under the hood in the electrical center or whatever they call the other fuse box.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2003, 7:18 PM Reply   
Good call Jameson. This has happened a few times to me with my GMC's. The trick is the fuse for the accessories is under the hood, not in the fuse panel in the car.

Not sure where it is in the Ford, but I bet that is the culprit. An easy way to be sure is to test the 5th wire and see if it is working from the rig.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-15-2003, 7:26 PM Reply   
I also had the same problem - a blown fuse under the hood. That just happened two weeks ago. But on the Ford the fuse is for both the brake lockout and the running lights so I knew I had a problem. And it's one of those weird half-size blade fuses so I had a little problem finding a replacement.
Old    deltahoosier            05-15-2003, 11:53 PM Reply   
OK Step On My Knee (Stefani)...... Enough from the peanut gallery!!!!

The Latest..... Well, we sign the papers tomorrow and we move next Wed. We are going to try and have everything settled in by the weekend. All the boat stuff is done too. Need to have a sticker pulling party. You guys want to BBQ? Just so people are wondering...We are moving to Disco Bay.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hey Peter,

What is the best way to remove stickers?
Old    chris_hargis            05-16-2003, 7:29 AM Reply   
I also have a 1999 Ex with the 7 round RV plug on it. I use the standard 4 prong flat adapter on mine and have a jumpr wire to the bare prong on the boat. I do not have any problems doing it this way, and it sure beats having to get out and turn the plug over everytime you back up.
Old    sickboy            05-16-2003, 8:16 AM Reply   
Rod-
Congrats on the move!! Try a heat gun or a hair dryer for those stickers. Did you get a new boat too???

mb
Old    deltahoosier            05-16-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the congrats. We will have to try and have a house warming party sometime soon. Same boat. It used to be me and my buddy were in it together. I just recently took it over my self and he is getting another Malibu as well.

It has been a very stressful two months. Stefani is correct. I have basically fell of the face of the planet for that period. I have not been out riding, working out or nothing. I had been dealing with the boat refi, fixing up a house and trying to get it sold, finding a house we wanted, working that deal, and trying to get ready to move. Too much for me. I have totally lost my stoke. I am ready to settle in, hang out with friends, and hit the water. Going to be a fun summer!!!! )
Old    dliguori            05-16-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
Why don't you just connect the Disengaging wire(blue) to your reverse light wire?
Old    wakelvr            05-16-2003, 10:46 AM Reply   
Rod: Ja and I are anxious to have you guys back:-) A BBQ at your place sounds good. Maybe we can hit the water next weekend and fight the Memorial weekend crowd. I'll email you today.

Can't wait to see your house and MY ROOM for that matter! HA!