Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-01-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
Might want to think again....

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...t-become-a-law
Old    bigdtx            11-01-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'm SHOCKED there's corruption in Big Charity... LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Aramony
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-01-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
I'm glad it died. This is the kind of idiotic bill we don't need. If it makes sense for insurance companies to offer discounts to their clients, then the insurance companies will offer those discounts. They know better than anybody how well the encouragement of healthy behavior effects their bottom line. It's incredible how it is assumed that the government knows better than the insurance companies and they can just come in and "improve" the insurance company's offering. Result: increased rates on all insured to cover mandated government discounts that, if they made financial sense in the first place, would have already been implemented by the insurance companies. Yay, more laws with nice titles that give us all a warm fuzzy and grow the big government bureaucracy!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-01-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
If it was insurance lobbyists that killed the bill I would have just thought it was business as usual. It doesn't benefit insurance companies to give discounts to healthy people for the purpose of encouraging them to be healthy. Insurance companies like high costs because they can always justify their rates based on making a percentage profit. And the more health care costs, the bigger that percentage ends up being in total revenue.

OTOH, the govt is paying dearly for healthcare. Tax deductions for HI contributions are significant in terms of lost tax revenue. The govt as a representative of the taxpayer should want to cost health care costs, so I have no issues with this sort of thing. I would prefer that the govt completely eliminate tax deductions on HI payments by both employer/employee. It's corp welfare and has overinflated heathcare costs.