Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-11-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Well, im getting ready to piece together a Wetsounds pro80 setup, so i know i want to get pro80s and the WS 420 equalizer, but i have no idea what kind of amp to run, id prefer not to spend a fortune but i dont want crap either. i saw that wetsounds are rated to 200w RMS, should i not try to get an amp that maxes that 200, is service life better if i go for say 150 or 175 per speaker rms? thanks alot in advance.

jeff
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-11-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
I am running a SYN 2 with my 4 pro 80s...that will give you 175RMS at 2 ohms per speaker.

Tim says you can run 2 SYN2s and get 200RMS at 4 ohms per speaker..

Im in the middle of installling everything right now so once i am done I could give you an idea of how it sounds
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-11-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff,

HaHa, Jason beat me to it. He is correct

The Wet Sounds SYN-2 is the amp that is designed to run the PRO 80's. (or PRO 60's) It is 200x2 at 4 ohms stereo. So matched RMS ratings.

If you can stay near the RMS ratings, that is optimum. A bit more than RMS is OK as well.

Tim
Wet Sounds

(Message edited by wetsounds1 on March 11, 2009)
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-11-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
ok so aim for the 200 rms, also, im not a stereo buff, could someone give me a normal person's understanding of running 2 vs 4 ohms, and whats the amp rating mean? such as D or G or H? thanks alot!

Jeff
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-11-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
I bought the Kicker ZX650.4 to power my Pro 80's.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5508756/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

I would have gone with a Wet Sounds amp for sure if I had the dough.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-11-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thats what Tim recommended for me too. Ive got a
Syn2 that will be hooked to the Pro80s and as far
as the WS420, you're going to love it!
I'm at the same stage as Jason, ive got all but
the towers really hooked up and tested. Ran out
of daylight yesterday but they got mounted so
thats a step closer. Once mine are tuned (which judging by weather will prolly be a while, darn rain) i'll let you know as well for some feedback on it.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-11-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier

Lots of fun reading.

Now for all that in more simple terms.

A class A/B amplifier is like driving a car that does not have a throttle, when you start it the motor comes on full blast (redline) and the only way to control it is the brake. So even with the brake on, still at redline. Same with the class ab amp, no signal or little signal but still pulling all that current. Yes it performs well but not very efficient. Most are around 50% efficiency

Class G/H basically give you a throttle back it applies the power when requested conserving the power when you don't need it. Much more efficient but the best part absolutely no performance loss. As it switches rail voltage based on the demand. Around 70% efficiency.

Class D is like pumping the throttle, it is a switching power supply so it comes on and off very fast like pumping the throttle. While it is more efficient then Class A/B it does have some performance issues. It is not as clean as A/B or G/H but the technology is getting better everyday and many of the new full range class d amps, most cannot tell the difference in sound quality. 70% efficiency or higher.

So for a boat application, a class H amp like our SYN amps or a full range Class D amps are the more preferred choices as they will give you more efficiency. Which relates to less current draw, less strain on the boats electrical system and more play time while sitting with the boat off. Also these technologies make the amps much smaller. They produce a lot less heat. So you get power in a small size, with less heat and less current draw.

When running a single pair of 4 ohm speakers in stereo. That amp “sees” a 4 ohm stereo load. When you add a second pair of 4 ohm speakers to the same amp in parallel, that same amp then “sees” a 2 ohm stereo load. In turn, some amps like the SYN amp will almost double their output at the lower load. So for instance the SYN-2 will do 200x2 at 4 ohms stereo. So 200 to a pair of PRO 80’s. When adding a second pair of PRO 80’s. They amp will produce 350x2 at 2 ohms. Spilt between 4 speakers. So 175 per speaker.

So what the impedance of the speaker is and how many speakers and how it is wired determines what load the amp “sees” and this will determine the power output.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-11-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
thanks for the info and a much better understanding! I dont think i can afford the Syn2 amp, what are my best options then? i looked at that kicker amp above but its a/b, so that isnt as desireable correct? thanks again all!

Jeff
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-11-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'm considering getting a single PRO 485 to run on my monster tower. What size amp(non wetsounds) would you suggest Tim?
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-11-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
As long as we are asking Tim.. I just purchased the 3 some set up with the pro 80's. what can you recommend for powering all 3 (non wetsounds)?
Old     (afwakepilot13)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-11-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Jeffee you better get the stereo setup soon so I (and everyone around us) can hear it at Lake Norman. Paul got the Kicker KX 450.2, Class AB 150x2 RMS @ 4 ohms. If you can't throw down for the Wet Sounds amp, it is loud enough to hear the intricate beats of songs you love like "Let's Plan a Robbery" or "Party Like a Rockstar". In all seriousness it is loud. You could always throw something like that in there, and then get the Syn2 when you have the $ and put the Kicker to the boat speakers. The WS-420 is the best part of the setup IMO, especially if you have friends who bitch about turning the music up and down constantly. Who could I be referring to? Your welcome in advance.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
If you can't swing the SYN amps then get an Alpine PDX off of ebay for two Pro 80's you can do the 2.150 and for the three some the 4.150. The amps are underrated so while you'll be a little shy of RMS you'll still be pretty damn close. A lot of people were using these before the SYN's came along and loved/love them. Retail on them is pretty much the same as SYN but good ol' ebay'll save ya about half.
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-11-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
Thanks! I will look into the 4.150.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-11-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
Good thread. I am doing the same as Jeff is. I have a Kicker zx350.4 and wanted to power a pair of Pro 80s off of them. However I am not sure if that is the ideal amp for them. In other words will the Pro 80s be underpowered or sound like crap? Can anyone chime in? Debating if I should do the Syn2.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-11-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Man, ya'll are killing me LOL, trying to get me to recommend another brand.

David, the 485 has a RMS rating of 300 watts rms. It can handle a lot more power. For instance, a SYN-2 bridged on the 485 will do 700x1 and we have guys running that. Or you can go with half of a SYN-4 and get 400x1 to the 485 and use the other 2 chs for in boats or a sub. If you are looking around for something else, look for an amp that is a 125x2, 150x2 or 200x2. If you just want an amp for the single 485.

Mike, the SYN-6 is the perfect amp for the 3-Some. It will bridge to 200x2 and 600x1. You will not find another amp that can provide that type of power in a single amp solution. Now, you can step down to a SYN-4 and get 125x2 and 400x1 and we have a lot of folks running that set up. So if you are looking around for something else. A minimum of a 125x4. But something along the 150x4 would get good results.

But if you are looking for a new amp from an authorized dealer, the SYN amps are going to be right in line with the other brands in terms of power and technology and price. This is when looking for a class h or full range class d. You will be able to find some pretty good class ab amps for less. But when going with the SYN amps (marine) or say the Alpine pdx amps (marine) and JL MHD (marine). You are more in line of a good comparison, since all are marine grade and all offer very efficient power supply technology.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-11-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Jeff,

I highly recommend if at all possible, to save your pennies and go for the Syn line. They are the real deal. They are in line with most any other "good" amp out there like Tim said. I'd be running them in mine, but when I started putting my system together, they weren't available and I wanted all mine too match.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
Yeah, I should say that if you buy from ebay the warranty may or may not be void. Most of the dealers on there offer warranty's but I've never tried to use it and have no idea how legit they are. That said I've bought all mine from there and have had no problems.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-11-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
I am running the SYN2 to my 80's and 60's, 175 rms to each pod in 2 ohm. Sounds great!Upload
Upload
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-11-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
Hats off to Tim!

I've been on wakeworld ~2 years and he has always been here to answer all of our questions and educate us. I hope to replace all the JL that came in my boat with Wetsounds.

With the reviews Wetsounds has recieved on this site and the top notch service from Tim I wouldn't buy from anyone else.......

And for the guys asking Tim for a recommedation on another brand, ask someone else. That's just wrong...............
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-11-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
I agree, thanks so much Tim for all the quick replies and help. I was not trying to get Tim to tell me to buy anything else, but was asking the forum what they recommend and who is using what. Thanks to all for the help!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-12-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Thanks Guys!

No worries at all. Happy to help in any way I can. Even if it isn't for one of our own products. We help out many folks with trying to build a system around what they already have and keep the costs down. But we buying new. Of course it is Wet Sounds!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-12-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
thanks again Tim and everyone else, so who is running what amps that i could actually afford right now?

Jeff