Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-08-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
I just pulled the boat out of the water and I've got small blisters. They are about the size of a pin and run for about 2 feet below the tower.

Next year when I put the boat in the water will they grow or stay the same? The boat is in the water for about 3 months a year.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-08-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Try this website. www.capsante.com/Articles/osmotic.htm
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-08-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
You mean the blisters are below the water line right?

So does the boat not stay on a lift?

Freshwater or salt?

You could look into some bottom paint, but shouldn't be necessary if boat is only in water 3 mos a yr.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-08-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Just right below the water line on the side of the boat before it hits the edge and turns under the boat.

Doesn't sit on a lift

Freshwater only
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
They will probable grow and number will increase. Do a google search on osmotic blisters
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-08-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Is the boat stored inside the rest of the year?

If it is inside and gets totally dried out you could put a barrier coat and bottom paint on it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
That suck man I would go crazy if that happened to my boat.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-08-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Yes it's stored inside the rest of the year. I'm 100% percent anal about my boat so this sucks.
Old    wiz            09-08-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
from what i've heard, most manufacturers recommend not leaving your boat in the water, or leaving it for only 2 weeks at the longest.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-08-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
This is what I don't understand....

you are buying a boat... made for use in water.... it shouldn't be dry...

excuse my ignorance... is it that hard to make a mfg make something that withstands the environment it was designed to be in?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-09-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, blisters are a common ailment of fiberglass boats that are left in the water all the time. Warm fresh water seems to be worse than cold/salt water.

The cause is basically the result of the resin used in the fiberglass being just a bit porous and allowing water to penetrate and sit. There appear to be many factors that contribute to the problem and unfortunately there are no good cures.

The bottom line is that one hull can be immune while another will suffer from it. Even from the same manufacturer.

The bad news is that if you have some now, you will have more next year. And more the year after that. And the ones you have now will get bigger.

If you keep a bottom paint on the hull to fight the growth then the blisters are not that terrible a thing. You grind them down and patch, paint covers it.

If you want to keep the hull bright and shiny then you are pretty much screwed.....

Rod
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-09-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
If you want to avoid blisters, the solution is a metal hull.

You can use an epoxy paint to prevent most of the problems and still have a nicely painted boat. You need to use several coats.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-12-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
I had them also, got a new boat and a boat lift. No more blisters. They will get bigger and you will get more of them if the boat is left in the water without bottom paint.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
I have never seen bottom paint on a high end ski/wakeboard boat. Does anyone do this?
If so, how does it look? Is it worth it?