Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (muurph84)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 5:07 AM Reply   
question for everyone I am installing a new garage door this week and was looking into raising the height because I hope to be buying a new boat this winter. I can raise it to a height of 7'6" without changing anything structurally to my opening. will this be high enough for most wakeboard boats in general with the towers down? or do I need to spend the extra money to get it to 8'? 8' would be as high as I coudl take it due to the roof trusses? any info would be great.
thanks
Old     (lav)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-10-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
If it was me I would take it as high as I could,I would hate to find out after it was finished you need another inch to get your boat in
also look at price of garage door a 7'6" isn't standard afaik 8' a common now so what you save by going 7'6" may cost you for custom door (prob only xtra $150-$200 for door depending on make model
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-10-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
I agree, go as high as possible. My vlx on a standard boatmate trailer with a swoop tower folded is right at 7'6" and it is by no means a tall boat/tower/trailer combo. I have an 8' door.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-10-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
Do 8' for sure you'll regret anything shorter later. I have 8' doors and my boat barely fits in. My garage trim was wrapped with 1/2" cedar, I had to pull that and the brick mold off to make it fit it's that close.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       05-11-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
You will need an 8' door for most boats (with the tower folded).
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-11-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
My 7' (at its peak) garage door is fine for my boat with the tower down....
Old     (muurph84)      Join Date: May 2010       05-11-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
Well, bad news They could only raise the height on the Garage door to 7'6" due to my interior ceiling height. I am really hoping to get into an 09 or newer RZ2 with the alpha z tower so I think im ok. just sucks to have to rule out some brands and models due to the garage. oh well. my boats of choice were the RZ, mb b52twb, bu, or a supra, if you guys can help me out and let me know if I need to go ahead and rule any of these out that would be great?
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-11-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
And MB F21and B52TWB will fit under a 6' 15/16" garage door.

Mario-
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-11-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
Scott,

You mentioned the MB B52TWB. That boat is designed to fit under at standard 7' door. I have that boat. My door is 8' and I clear it with oodles of room to spare.

Let me put this another way... you can get the MB w/out any modification to your existing garage, which should save you a few G's. Same deal with the F21, but Mario already told you that. :-)
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-11-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Scott-

Proof is in the pudding.

The only "thing" I need to do to fit my F21 in the garage is put the main loop inside the engine bay.

I will be getting quick disconnect speakers so that the boat can still fit in the garage.

Mario-
Old     (muurph84)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2010, 4:24 AM Reply   
how easy is it to put the tower down on the twb? can one person do it?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-12-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by muurph84 View Post
how easy is it to put the tower down on the twb? can one person do it?
Here is a pic of mine in the garage (my door is 8'). It literally takes 30 seconds (maybe less) to raise or lower the tower down to what you see in this pic.

It is one if the easiest towers to put up and down.

Last edited by ixfe; 05-12-2010 at 7:42 AM.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Not to start a war of words with DBC, but I would say maybe 45 seconds... If you have the bimini top connected, you'll have to remove that first.

Mario-
Old     (muurph84)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Dbc, do you have more photos of your boat? I love that color scheme, not to change the subject but how do you like the mb? I have test drove the rz and a wakesetter but have not been into a mb yet.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-13-2010, 12:40 AM Reply   
Mario - You are right in that I didn't factor in bimini top. I usually have that down by the time I get home and fold the tower for garage storage (i.e. I don't tow with the bimini up).

Scott - It's your thread... so you get what you ask for!