Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-19-2012, 6:02 AM Reply   
Yo,

I've been building sliders with trex which was pretty good but I want to build a new slider in steel and plastic on the top.
I want something really durable (as it's for a cable park). I think there's no other option than the expensive HDPE ? Do you think that 0,4 inches is enough or should I take 0,8 inches ?

Thank you
Old     (wakelab)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-19-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
depends on how hot it gets in your area.....i had to use 3/4" HDPE because of the extereme heat, but i wouldnt recommend using anything less than 1/2 thick.
Old     (wakelab)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-19-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
also, Cobe Mikacich told me he used "co-poly" on his pro tour fun box and it was cheaper. i am going to try that next. u might look into that. same thing tho, no less than 1/2" thick
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2012, 12:15 AM Reply   
ok I'm gonna check for this co-poly .
Thanks
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2012, 1:02 AM Reply   
And, the side of the sliders (that you won't slide on). I was thinking to put some thinner HDPE, but it will still be expensive. Do you have an other idea of an other material that would be cheaper but that will still last in the time ?
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
One last question, what kind of size of steel are you using. I was thinking of square bar of 1,5" and 0,1" thickness.
Is it enough ? Do I need to put one bar every 2 feet or every 3,5 feet is enough ?
thank you
Old     (wakelab)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-21-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
for the sides, I covered mine w/ 1/2" ply treated w/ a heavy duty waterproofer then 3/8" HDPE. that can get expensive tho, you can get away w/ 3/4" sanded ply treated w/ HD waterproofer and then paint over that. you will probly have to replace every yr or 2 depending on th elements. on using steel for the frame work I assume?? I would use angle rod instead of box tube, its plenty strong & u'll thank urself when you have to drill thru all that
Old     (wakelab)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-21-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
depnds on how long the rail & how deep the water but for the most part, every 5 ft is way plenty. depends on weight of rail (length) & how deep u can get ur posts.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-21-2012, 10:28 PM Reply   
Yes I'm using steel on the frame work, I meant to use angle rod no box tube (just my bad english..).
For the side I was thinking otherwise to use a sheet metal (of like 1/4") and then paint it.
I will start with an Up Rail so it will be pretty short (about 30 feet). 5 feet looks really long, I was thinking of 2 feet. but if you tell me 5 it's enough I'll go with it as it will save a lot of money and time!
thanks for the advices
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
I don't see why the HDPE needs to be so thick, even in high heat. It isn't structural, just a slippery surface. What am I missing?
Old     (shino)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-04-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
When you build the sliders in steel, what do you put on it to protect it ? At first I wanted to make it galvanized but it's pretty expensive, so do you think that I can find a kind of paint that would resist to the rust ?
Also do you think it better to use polystyrene or plastic tank to make it float ?

cheers