Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-03-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
I just got this idea from the WakeWorld gear thread, so I went and bought the domain. What if I create a page at NoPowerTurns.com that very politely goes over the reasons why powerturning is a bad idea and provides alternatives and education. Then we create some of those plastic re-stickable type of stickers with no sticky backing (like the ones they stick on your windshield at Jiffy Lube) that simply say...

NoPowerTurns.com
Pass It On

That way people can keep a few in their boat at all times and when they have a run in with a powerturner and they don't want to confront them, they simply slap one of these on their windshield. The person's curiosity will lead them to the website and they will be educated. Plus, they can then pass the "sticker" on to someone else.

What do you think?
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
david you are a genious!!!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-03-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
"What do you think?"

brilliant!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-03-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
your awesome!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
put me down for about 1000 of these right now.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Great idea!!!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Excellent idea
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
I'll buy 100.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
same here
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-03-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
I will buy them too,great idea
Old     (mastercraftboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-03-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Ill take about billion, great idea, but one problem... if they arent caring/paying enough attention no to powerturn, then why would they pay atteintion to your windshield
Old    murrayair            11-03-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
I'll buy a bunch and stick them on every wake-related possession I have. Good idea!
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-03-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
atta boy Dave.

I think this could be a "movement"
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-03-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
its not about putting them on YOUR gear, a regular sticker would be great for that. it is about putting it on THIER truck, trailer, boat, etc. you get the kind dave mentioned, where it peels off easily. much like they have at jiffy lube. this way, no one is pissed for putting a sticker on their truck.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-03-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
I think I may have explained it poorly. The idea is to stick them on the offenders windshield or to hand them to the offender. That's why I suggested the non-sticky type of stickers, so that it won't piss them off getting their boat tagged with a real sticker. Plus, after the offender goes to the website and gets educated, they can then reuse the sticker when they see someone else powerturning.

However, I guess getting regular stickers made would be a good idea too!
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-03-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
maybe make two stickers. one that says "i support nopowerturns.com" so everybody doesn't think your the dbag. and the other to be for spreading the seed.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-03-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
Great idea(s)
having a support sticker AND a pass-along sticker is a good idea.

i think we/ this should raid all the boat shows this coming year. slap one on every boat in the building/lot

give em to dealerships too
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-03-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
i think some actual live-action footage put together with some good editing in a video to show Powerturning Vs. No-power turn would be good
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       11-03-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
Ya know what is funny, I actually owned that domain for a while. Another guy on here came up with a pretty nice logo. Then I got a new job and that was the end of my non-boarding free time.

Great plan though. There was a Denver area club site that had a bunch of good stuff on the topic. Cant remember the actual site though.
Old     (mikel_j)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-03-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Really great idea!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-03-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
Yeah, that's the next step. Coming up with a comprehensive page of tips and ideas. Let's start listing them. I like the video idea.

George, can you find that site? Hell, find the logo too! :-)
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2009, 10:42 PM Reply   
Brilliant Idea haha
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       11-03-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
This is a great idea. I know when I first got my boat I knew no better and without this site I would still be power turning. Anything that might educate someone is great.

Yes my name is Ian and I am a recovering power turner

(Message edited by family_deckhand on November 03, 2009)
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-04-2009, 5:33 AM Reply   
I am too Ian! Didn't know any better till I became a regular on here.

I love the idea of peppering every boat at the boat show, or all the vehicles at your marina

Definately need a vinyl cut-out and some non stickey's they'd go on everything, and maybe, JUST MAYBE we'll have decent water on our home lakes for once.

Could there be an offshoot of this site about how/where to pull tubers and still respect those enjoying the calm water? Maybe a forum of driving ediquite tips too.....
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
Dave, a sticker just like this would be eye catching, use the same exact lettering and layout, so it looks like an official government warning!

BTW, I'm curious what the heck that warning says on a wakesurfer?!
...don't ride this board on narrow delta canals? hahahaUpload
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-04-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
I'll donate, Right now I'm dealing with a couple of X45's and Xstar's that dont know wtf they are doing on the water.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-04-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
Awesome idea! I'd pick up a bunch for sure! -it always surprises me when I'm out on one of my local lakes and see SO many nimrods power turning to pick up their riders for no apparent reason, just tearing up the butter...With as much time as I spend on WW, it's apparent that most of us agree...unless there's an emergency...don't do it...right? Why then do I see SO many tools out there doing it anyway? maybe they've not discovered awesome community that is WW?
I've actually thought of printing up the "don't be that boat" article from the instructionals section on this site and handing it to other drivers (http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/thatboat.asp)
The stickers and website are a way better idea though.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-04-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Great idea.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-04-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
Maybe work the WakeWorld logo into the sticker too. I think that if people saw something referring to "wake" on the sticker it would make them more inclined to check the sites. They would also be introduced to WW and all its greatness!!!
Old    Ben Kerran            11-04-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
Great way to distribute the information without (hopefully)offending people too much to where they will not pay attention to it. The pass it on idea is great. I'll take a bunch
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-04-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
The "SUPPORT" no power-turns sticker should be bumper sticker sized/ styled to put on your bumper and/or boat's stern for ALL to see as they follow you down the road and/or lake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOsvrhR4M
i found one youtube video already that is pretty good to start from and get ideas and improve on.
some overhead shots of what happens to the water and the waves would be an excellent addition to a video

also some tips about driving in a line instead of big circles around the perimeter of a lake or bay would be essential

for a logo. a side view snap shot of a boat power turning with a circle and slash around it would be great. i'll see if i can make one later. maybe someone else can do the same (or better) if they get my jist on the visual description

(Message edited by wakerider111 on November 04, 2009)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-04-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
David, it would be great if you could use your pull to get some big named pro's to support it as well. This way when some kid or dad clicks on the site they see the most elite athletes telling them rather than a bunch of people they dont know. This could include a pro slalom skiers, jumpers, etc.

The opening could be something along the lines of "Hi, my name is ..... and I wakeboard/waterski for a living. (a quick 15 second clip of them throwing down to substantiate it) Here are a few tips that will help you and others enjoy the water a little bit more next time you are out at your local location."
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
^ thats an awesome idea
im sure several would be willing to do it
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-04-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
I'd buy one for our boat! Even though my dad might think it's for him. Great idea!

(Message edited by dave23 on November 04, 2009)
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-04-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
I totally would buy a die cut sticker for the board, not sure about the other type stickers, but die cut would be sick
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-04-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
Damn your smarter than me. Jet
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-04-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
I remember something similar to this idea a long time ago....there was talk of doing 3oz. bottles of Newt Juice to give to powerturners as a "gift" that would also have an informational No Powerturns tag attached.

I think...maybe if you were to give some sort of COOL sticker. Like a wakeworld sticker, old Y2KP Hoochie sticker or similar that had power turn educational blurb printed on the backing, it'd be more effective.

If you were come up to me and give me a sticker that tells me not to do something, I would be kind of insulted, but if it is something cool, I think I'd be stoked.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-04-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
ALL POWER TURNERS PLEASE WATCH AND LEARN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOsvrhR4M
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
on the site, I could see an animation of a boat picking up a downed rider the correct way and the power turn way showing how much it screws with the water. It might be easier to show this in an animation than real footage?
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
I think you should sponsor a sign that spans the delta right before the fast water at rivers end, that would make me really happy to see dave or like another mean sticker that you can use to reiterate your point if they dont get it the first time saying like 'powerturners get arrested and given a life sentence" or "powerturners go to hell" or something lol and

and the second one was being sarcastic so please dont flame me for it lol
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-04-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
^^A sponsored sign at the Union Point Bridge, at the opposite end of Vics and each end of Railroad would be key
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-04-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
Is it just me or..........?
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2009, 11:28 PM Reply   
David,

I was discussing a similar idea with the guys I ride with a while back..ie handing out some sort of foam do-dad with an explanation of what power turning is...and why you should not do it. The problem was where to fit all that info on a foam do-dad.

Your idea of getting a domain is awesome and solves that problem.

I don't think stickers will work at all though. How you are going to give them out, etc?? At least on the delta...the closest point of contact with the idiot power turner is when you ride by them. The rider gets the closest to the culprit. Stickers just won't work at all. Try and put a sticker on my boat and things will probably not work out well for anyone involved....

A much better idea is to have some of the foam floaty things that you attach to your boat keys made up, with No Power Turns! on one side....and NoPowerTurns.com, WakeWorld.com, etc. on the other, or something like that.

Have a little break away clip, and have your riders ride with them. When you come upon a power turner...your rider just swings by their boat in a friendly manner...smiles...tosses them the floaty...and says.."hey check this out"!

I am sure that is much better than my usual technique:
1. Get pissed off
2. Make lots of wild hand gestures towards the confused power turner's boat...
2. Give everyone on my boat that "what are those people...f***in morons" look.
3. Frantically direct my driver do drive as close as possible to the offenders boat.
4. Ride right by them shouting things like...
"What are you trying to do... F*** up the water for eveyone"? or "Learn how to drive you Barney..."

So get it done, and I will buy a dozen! Might keep me out of serious trouble someday!

(Message edited by kitewake on November 04, 2009)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-05-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
Brilliant.

We'll hand them out at Spring Ride
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-05-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
The idea of the floaty key ring would be great!
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-05-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
I'm down. Great idea. I like the idea of having a sticker for my boat and tow vehicle and some kind of a handout that I could put other boater's cars in the lot. Do it now!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-05-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
I like both ideas...stickers and floaty key fobs! I agree that the key fob idea is a really good one! I wouldnt strap one on before every set but I could see someone tossing me one from in the boat when I fell (and saw a power turner up ahead) or try to clip it to the main line and send it down (zipline style). haha.

Ultimately it comes down to getting the person to actually GO to the website which is the HARDEST part of the whole goal. People need to remember that its MUCH easier to get someone to do something you want them to do by being nice and polite. They odds of someone going to a website you suggested after a yelling match is highly unlikely (IMHO). I have also thought about doing the flier thing and putting it under every wiperblade at the launch ramps. This would be super cheap since you could create it in a pdf and print off as needed in black and white...keeping copies in your tow vehicle.

Ultimately as the sport grows it will be more and more common to see non power-turners. Once people see everyone else not power-turning they will likely follow suit.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-05-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
I certainly like the end you are shooting for and would similarly like to see more education on courteous and safe driving techniques also directed toward PWCs and tubers. Getting people educated would certainly help as I believe most people drive the way they do more out of ignorance than being spiteful.

The main risk I see with the stickers is that it may tick some people off more toward wakeboarders. I can easily imagine some people thinking; "I'll show YOU how I like to drive MY boat". Granted the sticker would be designed to be innocuous, but goes against one of the golden rules; if it isn't yours, leave it alone. How would you would react if you saw someone putting a sticker on your boat care of a fishing organization, NOWAKES.COM??? I like where you are headed but not sure the stickers are the best way to push back the walls of ignorance.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-05-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
they are not normal stickers people! he is talking about the kind that are used at like a jiffy lube that go on the inside of your windshield as a reminder for when your next oil change is due. they are clear, and come right off.
having regular stickers would be good for those who want to put them on their gear. I would never encourage anyone to put a regular or die cut sticker on someone elses stuff. but putting one of those clear ones that Dave is talking about is harmless.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-05-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Key chain floats, removable stickers, decal stickers for my boat and one for under my Sanger decal on the back of my Yukon, etc. - brand them all and I'll buy 'em!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-05-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
I think we realize the stickers would be innocuous, or in other words would be easy to peel off but would still have the potential to annoy or irritate other random boat owners if they saw someone putting this on or surprisingly found one on their boat. The token give aways or some signs are good alternatives to get the word out.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-05-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
The site should have picture upload capability with a wall of shame.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-05-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
Awesome idea Chaun!
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-05-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Or....how about. You snap a pic, toss the NoPowerTurns.com keychain/sticker/t-shirt whatever and to get your boat OFF the wall of shame you have to read and pledge to abide by the NoPowerTurns bylaws.

I think there might be some legalities to showing someones registration numbers, but those could be blurred or taken from an angle so as not to show them. If the sticker/keychain/whatever had a unique number, you would have to punch that in to get off the wall. ;)
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-05-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
If there's going to be the wall of shame and have to punch numbers to get off of it.....you better narrow it down by state, there's tens of thousands of them out there
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Send me some!!! Now!!!!!!!!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-06-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
Get the flyers into the New Owner Packets that come with boats. You know - the packet with the Owners Manual, and all that other stuff.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-06-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
Would someone like to design the sticker? I agree that it should look sort of like a warning sticker like the one on the board above. I don't think this is a situation for die-cut. It should also be simple.

I'm thinking an orange strip that says, "NoPowerTurns.com" and below it a white strip that says, "Friends don't let friends power turn!"

Any other ideas?
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       11-06-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
yeah dave ! thats gonna be so sick when it comes out im sure theres plenty of real good design people at fullsail. I can ask my brother (hes in digital arts and design) and he can ask around in his class if anyones interrested.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
the sticker idea you just posted dave, do you want the wakeworld logo on it or anything like that? or would you rather keep it simple to get their attention
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-06-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
No WakeWorld logo. I think I'd rather keep it simple and to the point.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
that what i thought
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
i just threw this together real quick. but something like this?

Upload
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
the text isnt dead center. just realized it. and class is almost over. ill email it to myself and center it when i get home
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
okay. centered now. sorry

Upload
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
Dave, that looks pretty good. The brown portion needs that "safety orange" color IMHO. I would also use a larger font. Maybe add the word "WARNING"?

Here is my feeble quick attempt in paint at work. I think it would be pretty cool if we had an outline of a boat powerturning (rather than my detailed pic) This way there is an immediate example they can see. The only pic I could find was by typing in "powerturning boat" into google images.
Upload
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-06-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
i thought about writing attention, or warning, or something like that. also thought about throwing in an outline of a boat as well. but dave said he wanted to keep it simple and to the point. Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-06-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Looks like we're on the same page! :-) I like your rounded corners, but I couldn't figure out a way to do that in Photoshop cuz I suck at it. It would be cool to replace the exclamation points with a little boat symbol turning with a line through it, but that might be a little much to fit into a small space. I also went with just two colors to make the sticker cheaper to make.

Upload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
here is a couple of things

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       11-07-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Jeremy, looks good. Only thing I'd throw out is it looks like your saying No Wake Boats. Or possibly no Malibus, and i would take offense to that.

(Message edited by geogilbert on November 07, 2009)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
i think when i converted it to jpg the colors went jagged/ un-uniform... sorry if it don't look so fresh
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-07-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
Floating key tags will go over much better and no cause an issue with stickers being put on other people's property - "touch-a my stuff, I a touch-a ya face"
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-07-2009, 7:18 PM Reply   
Maybe get some of the main sponsors on the board here involved and have them send out the stickers with new wakeboard and boot sales. I think that you should have videos of powerturns from several perspectives. Show the rollers, show what it does to other boats, etc. Additionally, I think you should post up an instructional video that shows you how to correctly slow down and circle to pick up a downed rider.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-07-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
CIE has had some pretty sweet stickers I've seen floating around this site, maybe they'd be into it?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-07-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
And we've got God on our side!

Upload
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-09-2009, 2:01 AM Reply   
AMEN!!!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
Great idea Dave, and I like the one you posted the most. Simple and looks official. I'd be down for some keychains, stickers, and a bumper sticker for the trailer. I'd slap some on boats at the launch too, just an FYI incase they DO powerturn.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-09-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hey! Thats my Tigé! Seems that a thread on this site was picked up by Google. For the record that picture was taken by me while the driver was turning so I could get some photos of my boat driving by while I was on shore.

Back on topic, I like the simple ones that both Davids posted. You cant really make out what the boats are doing in the others.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
I'd leave the pic of the boat out of it and let the website explain the issue of powerturning. I also think that something that gets them to want to go to the website would be good too.

Instead of "friends don't let friends..."

"go to NoPowerTurns.com to see why you were given this sticker"

A direct call to action to give the best chance the power turner goes to the site to check it out.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-09-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I don't know. I kind of think by saying "Friends don't let friends powerturn." It will pique their curiosity and lead them to the website better than if you tell them to go there. Plus, you can then use the same sticker for bumper stickers, board stickers, etc.