Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
We were wakesurfing on Sunday and I noticed the wave behind my Supreme V226 getting washed out, so I pulled it out of the water the other day and noticed that both of the screws had managed to work themselves loose?

No damage occurred, everything seems to line up fine - just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what you may recommend to help reinforce/keep them from coming loose in the future? I'm guessing it's been loose for awhile (as there was a rattle I was hearing from the trim tab when sitting idle).

Thinking maybe a few rubber/plastic washers could help keep it from coming loose again (and stop any rattle)? Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-27-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
Nuts with nylon lock inserts.AKA nylock nuts.

Last edited by wakebrdjay; 09-27-2012 at 8:09 AM.
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Sweet! Cheapest. Repair. Ever.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-27-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
Nylocks and Loctite... Belt and suspenders
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-27-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Nylocks and Loctite... Belt and suspenders
this.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-27-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
During a late spring inspection I found both bolts ready to pop out of the plastic threaded fitting on one actuator. There is a lot of turbulence and force around this area. Nylock nuts are the way to go. After finding this, I checked every bolt and screw I could get to. The next one that needed work were the motor mounts, they were loose as well.

Last edited by Iceberg; 09-27-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-27-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
You can use 2 nuts on each bolt. Tighten the 2nd nut against the first. Drill a 1/16th hole through the 2nd nut, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt shank, and through the bolt shank as well. Hammer a 1/16th roll pin into the hole.

That'll be real permanent.

You disassemble with a Dremel (eg., miniature rotary cutting tool).
Old    9Drozd            09-27-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
^^^^ Thats pretty overkill, but I like your style. As others have said, Loctite and nylon lock nuts and you'll be good.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
Just the nyloks will do it, no need for loctite. Use stainless steel.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
Slightly longer SS bolt with a SS nylock nut is all you need.Less than $5 and you wont ever have to worry about it again.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-27-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by john211 View Post
You can use 2 nuts on each bolt. Tighten the 2nd nut against the first. Drill a 1/16th hole through the 2nd nut, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt shank, and through the bolt shank as well. Hammer a 1/16th roll pin into the hole.

That'll be real permanent.

You disassemble with a Dremel (eg., miniature rotary cutting tool).
Or replace with a steel bracket on the cylinder and weld that bitch