Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    whitechocolate            04-23-2003, 5:52 PM Reply   
HEY I was wondering If any one here has installed "Dyna Mat' or any other Insulation material in there BOSS can's I was wondering what's the best way to do it
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-23-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
Pre-cut them to fit then remove the backing material and use a heat gun to install them. Well at least that is the way I would do it. Might take a little time with SO MANY TO DO :-) Think pattern. They do not have to perfectly fill every void, as it will make a difference even with a 25 percent coverage. Of course I know you will do better.
Old    whitechocolate            04-23-2003, 6:59 PM Reply   
Peter : What does the Heat gun Do? "Does it Melt the rubber" so it sticks to the metal?? I plan on covering the whole can, And Yes your right Think Template! In the photo's I have have placed the Dyna Matt In for fit the backing is still on the Dyna mat. So I guess Just a little heat and peal the backing off and it should stick! No Glue at all???
MVC-135S.JPG
MVC-134S.JPG
Old    whitechocolate            04-23-2003, 7:02 PM Reply   
And do you heat the Dyna Matt from inside or outside of the can??
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-23-2003, 7:09 PM Reply   
I would start by heating the matting before trying to install it the final time to at least 100+ degrees. This will let it conform easier. The heat will activate the glue better. Be careful of how hot you get it as the speaker can finish can be damaged by a heat gun. A hair dryer would work although slow. Maybe even pre-heat your oven in the kitchen to a reasonable temp and throw the sheets in to warm them up. Make sure you turn the oven off before putting the sheets in DUH! Hehe
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-23-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
Honestly i have used more dynamat then i can count and heating is only neccessary when you have a surface with irregularities in it. For that flat can just cut it the right size and stick it in there. Becareful of the alum. coating if it bunches up it gets really sharp... I have the cuts on every finger to prove it from my box 2 weeks ago. Have fun!!!
Old    k2_mn            04-23-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
I would heat it just to make it bond better. I have seen Dynamat come off inside car doors from moisture. I would use spray dynamat in a speaker can, but thats just me.
Old    spiff            04-23-2003, 9:27 PM Reply   
Grant,

I've used Dynamat in my truck for the doors and floor. What you have in the picture is Dynamat Extreme which has enough adhesive on the back to keep it in place (as long as you get a roller and roll it onto the surface good). I think what everyone else is talking about (e.g. using the heat gun) is for regular Dynamat. I haven't had any problems with my Dynamat Extreme here in the hot Houston sun and all I did was roll it on. Oh, and I got the roller at Lowes in the linoleum (sp?) section. It's only about an inch wide and should fit inside the can nicely.
Old    endo            04-23-2003, 9:29 PM Reply   
Holy s*** Grant! You've got some tunes upstairs too! In the past, I've just sprayed my cannisters w/ ryno-lining. Just running 6.5's w/ high pass crossover. I can hear 2 pair great while boarding. Should I use dynamat instead?
Thanks!
Old    whitechocolate            04-24-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
Craig: I was thinking the same thing. I know the can's will get hot in the summer sun.I know that Heat can make some glues come off. That's why I asked the Orignal quetion, When the Dynamatt is rolled into the can it's nice and tight. I can tell it's not going to need much to make it stick there. It seems like it would almost stay in place with out glue at all. I think the glue that's on the back and a roller's and some heat and Ill be set
Greg: Thank's I ll get a roller and work it.
Matt: Eveyone I have talked with says "Yes" Dynamat. I should have the can's done this weekend. It's raining so this will be my weekend project. Ill let ya Know how it sound's. I would think the Rhyno Lining would work well also.
Old     (bigfaceplanter)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-24-2003, 7:38 AM Reply   
Hey Grant
Great looking setup! On your 6.5 inch speaks what is the depth of the can? Are the crossovers
screwed down,glued or just lay in the can???
Thanks
Old    whitechocolate            04-24-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
Murph" Hey the B-530 have 2 cans the Larger One 6.5 is 8-1/2 deep and "24" inc around and the smaller can is a 5-1/4 its the same as a set of B-50's the I.D of the 5 3/4 is "7"& 3/4 deep and 18-inc around Here is a Photo of the 2 DYNAMATT Templates
Old    whitechocolate            04-24-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
murph the X overs are Glued down to the back of the cans. I have to cut small peices to go around the X-overs. Im going to use a sound absorbing matt on the back of the can to try to elimnate the sound wave's crashing back into the speaker, You can seee the Sound deadining matt in the photo's above in the open can photo's its the black stuff around the cross over
Old    cws_kahuna            04-24-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
Nice setup Grant.
Old     (bigfaceplanter)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-24-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Grant
Thanks for the info.
Rockin' Boat!!!
Old    whitechocolate            04-24-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
Ok here we go 1 can done lots more to come
Old    bigd            04-24-2003, 3:13 PM Reply   
Let's see the tweeter...
Old    groovin            04-24-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
Grant, SWEET setup! What are you usin to push all those?
Old    bigd            04-24-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
I like to pump Extreme - Warheads through the system as a test. If the jet flyover at the beginning sounds real then you know you're on the right track. Plus I just dig that tune...
Old    whitechocolate            04-24-2003, 5:06 PM Reply   
Hey I thought When I bought the B-50 they were suposed to come with Refferanc ling Speakers in the can's
I opend up the last set and found a set of Diskus MB-quarts Speaker's ????? These are the cheep one's I think I got Riped!
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-24-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
Grant, The place where you bought your B50 from do they buy the cans empty? I just went through this with a stereo shop in Portland they bought the cans from Boss and put the discus series in and sold them as Boss. If you talk to Rio Morales at Boss he will take care of you. They replaced my drivers Boss has great customer service.
Old    xtigeman            04-24-2003, 6:33 PM Reply   
Do the backs. Backs may be more important than side. Also run it up to the plastic ring and let it seal so as to make it air tight. Cover that hole where the tweeter wires run through. Then you will be set.
Old    whitechocolate            04-24-2003, 7:02 PM Reply   
I bought my B-50's at Wakeside! I looked at wakeside's Web-site and they say They Come with Diskis! So I guess I should have read the fine print and asked a stupid Question. I have bought 3 sets of Boss Speakers and the first 2 sets had the Refferance Line of speakers in them so, I would assume That this set would be like the rest
I don't know if theres any thing Rio can do for me! Wakeside Drop ships from Boss so the B-50's are from Boss!
Doug: yes I did cover the Hole and run the dynamatt up to the grill and did the back of the can with "Novi-Damp" like ya said It's all done. I have like 10 New nick and cuts to prove it.
TIP for anyone thiniking of doing this: It works much better of you install the dynamat in strips.
When you try to shove a whole peice into the can it ends up sitcking to itself and it's a whore to get it un-stuck from itself "Just like duct tape" Then it never lays as flat. I cut the Matt into 3 strips for each can and butted it up to each other, It installs much smoother and lays flatter, I needed no heat Just a roller the Dynamatt Extream stick's like glue no problem

Thanks for all your help and advice!
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2003, 7:27 PM Reply   
Grant here is another tip use V-Max next time. Easier to work with and sticks better. http://www.cascadeaudio.com/

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-24-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
Grant I had my problem with B60s they had the discus drivers in them but my B50 have the reference series drivers in them and they came from Boss. Maybe they started putting the cheaper drivers in. Call boss and tell them that all your other 50s have reference drivers and maybe the will swap them out for you.
Old    whitechocolate            04-24-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
Tom: I think I might Do that, I run alot of boss stuff They are cool I would hope they would hook me up. I noticed that The Diskis Speakers not only don't sound as bright but they are metal cages (bad for Marine) and they are already starting to rust/corrode I see all this Green' corrosion all around the termainal's of the X-over. I don't know what they were thinking with Diskis speakesr They are only 6 months old and my boat sit's in a warm dry garage. I would hate to think what the inside of some ones speakers that sit outside look like????
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-28-2003, 5:50 PM Reply   
Why do you want to put sound deadening material inside the speaker can?

I thought that the who idea of a sealed enclosure was to have the speaker compress the air inside the enclosure when the cone moved "in" so that it would then recover that energy (and thus be louder) when the cone moved back "out". If you dampen that action you will lose that effect.
Old     (bigfaceplanter)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-30-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Phaeton
By the decription of some of that sprayable
material on Cascades website. It sounds alot
like rustproofing in a can. Would'nt that stuff
give the same result???

This dynamat and dampening material is outrageously priced.......kinda like stereo equipment and Wakeboard boats!!!
Old    whitechocolate            04-30-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
Phateon : I saw The Cascade website: It's pretty cool what one could do with all ther products. You could make a car so quite if you used all there stuff I would love to Hear a before and after project, from them

Boss Update: I talked to "Rio" the other day and he said that last year they stopped putting the R series speaker in all the cans and started using the D" series He said the cost was a factor and that Every one wanted the cheeper D" series. And to get the R' series you have to ask for them and there is a Upgrade charge How much I don't know? He did said that they were starting to use a Spray sound deadner in all there new can, As for getting my D" series replaced by Boss "No Dice" Im on my Own! I got some on e-bay for $100. Next Time I will not assume anything and Know for sure what Im buying. It's all good The system's finished
Old    whitechocolate            04-30-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Hey Murphy and or anyone else: If you look on E-bay you can find Dynamatt for alot cheeper than in the store's. I agree with you on the price of the stuff to much $. There is like 5 other brands of sound deadining stuff out there plus some no name stuff that you can get for like Half the price of Dynamatt. I know there is Dynamatt stuff called "Brown Bread" and it's cheeper
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-30-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
Murphy yes they have a spray type dampening that works very well. They came out with a new product that you spray the inside of sub boxes with and it makes the subs sound much better. Not sure what it was called though.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (jayson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
Doug or anyone else. I'm going to replace my 5 1/4 speakers in my B-530. For the money what is a good speaker other than MB? Also what MB would you get? Another silly quesion, how does the tweeter come out of the cannister?
Old    whirly            05-17-2003, 6:58 AM Reply   
So what's better? The matting or the spray?