Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-11-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
need opinions
I have a kenwwod dbl din touch screen in the truck wired for a backup camera
the camera for the truck already works great

what I need is a camera on the trailer
.......already have the truck wired for such a camera

need one on the trailer cause it's a tight fit at an odd angle getting into the gated driveway

I have eaten the fence corner more than once with the trailer guide pole

the thought is to mount a camera on the guide pole
so that I can tell how close I am to the fence and be able to back the boat in without a spotter
(it's a blind angle)

would you guys rather have a guide pole that doesn't rotate when the boat hits it when you drive the boat onto the trailer
or
a guide pole that doesn't float when you have to back the trailer onto a deep steep ramp?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-11-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
The problem with most of those little cameras is the depth perception is not good.

Here's an idea. What about rigging up something like a whip antenna just before fence corner. You would be able to see it over the boat by the flag on top the whip antenna so if you hit that you'd see the flag move and know that you were about to hit the fence corner. You could put a receptacle pipe in the ground so you could just walk up slide the antenna in the pipe and back the trailer up. When you are done, take the whip antenna out. Just like it was never there. Just an idea off the top of my head.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Back up cameras do work. The problem is people usually mount them down on the liscence plate which gives you a straight out view so yes the depth perception is bad.
On my ford forum I've seen a replacement handle surround that goes around the tailgate handle which has a camera mold in it which points down towards the trailer hitch. Shooting down will help with backing on to a trailer but you lose the whole digital rearview mirror......if you care.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-11-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
thanks guys
I have one mounted so that I can hook the trailer in 1 shot every time

it's one on the back end of the trailer that I need

like I was saying.....everything is already wired
just need the best spot to mount it on the guide post so that the functionality of the pole is not hindered
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Sorry, apparently I didn't read your whole post before about the boat trailer.

I suppose a guide pole mount would be the best.

The only other better vantage point would be off the boat tower itself shooting back so you could see both guide poles but then you would have to wire in a leash with a quick disconnect.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-12-2007, 12:14 AM Reply   
I was looking at some of these...

http://www.mymobilevision.com/.sc/ms/rp/ee/2/75
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
yea Cole, I originally thought about just mounting one to the trailer
but I am concerned about having to submerge it so deep
also
I'm not sure that just any camera would be compatible with my Kenwood setup
Kenwood makes their own little camera.....it works great on the truck
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-12-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Submerging it should not be a problem. Our cameras are full in the rain, what is the difference? Just seal the connector completely, or use military spec connectors.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-13-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
Mount the wireless type to the fence and you will have the perfect angle. They use them in motorhomes so you don't need to run wires inside front to outside back. It should send a signal about 40ft (truck cab to camera on the fence)
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-13-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
Guide poles that rotate. I have the flat solid guides on my Extreme trailer and in deeper areas they are way below the rub rail. The ones that rotate and float have the PVC tube that helps it stay some what rigid when it floats up
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-14-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
Clete, that's a great idea
thanks for the insight

Ben
my trailer has the pvc with the guide pads on it

so they float and rotate

my problem is......if I mount the camera to the
pvc, the camera will rotate out of alignment

.....if I mount it to the pole under the pvc, the pvc will neither float nor rotate

......if cut a slot in the pvc and mount an arm through it to the pole underneath....the pvc will float but not rotate

......if I mount a bracket to the pole underneath the pvc....up through the top of the pvc (removing the top pvc cap)....the pvc will float and rotate, but only float alittle....and the camera will be more visible for theft

the last option is probably what I will go with
unless I take the wireless advice

am I missing an option
any more ideas?
thanks

I know I'm over thinking it
but until I actually start physically working on it....that's just what I do
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
mounting on the PVC sounds complicated.

What about a waterproof camera mounted to the trailer?

It'd be really slick if you could find a Wireless waterproof camera so all you have to do is mount it and apply 12 volts.

If you're going to do a Wireless camera, what about mounting on your property and not on the trailer? That way when you're in range with your truck, you can pick up the wireless signal in your truck which then has a view of the gate.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
My guide poles come off in seconds and goes back on just as fast. I often tow without them on because there is less wind drag anyway.
Just a different solution.