Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-24-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
We store our boat in the lockers at Orwood. We have a vacant locker next to ours. Somebody cut the latch off of our locking mechanism from the inside by accessing it from the vacant locker next door. They bent the sheet metal around to get at our latch. This is difficult to describe, but if you have a locker at Orwood, check it out. Anyways they only took two full gas cans with 6 gallons each, four pairs of Spy sunglasses, and a handheld GPS unit. We might find we're missing more stuff later as we try to find things. They left plenty of other stuff worth a whole lot more. My assumption is that they may have been setting up to come back later, because from the outside, the lock was intact, and it looked like it was still locked securely. This happened sometime between Wednesday and Saturday this past week. Good thing we use the boat a lot in the Winter!

Anyways the moral of the story is that if you store at Orwood, and a locker becomes vacant next to yours, ask the managers to lock it up. It will make your locker more secure. This could have been a whole lot worse for us.

(Message edited by deltawake on January 24, 2010)
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-24-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Peter,
Have you already talked to Lynn about this? Let us know if she was receptive to locking all the vacant doors. Seems like an easy solution. Dave
Old    Ben Kerran            01-24-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Peter- that sux. Please let us know what Lynn says. Ill provide extra locks if necessary. The unit one over from mine is recently empty. I don't want to have to worry about that all winter. Wonder how the thieves get past the front gate?
Old    Ben Kerran            01-24-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
I just left a VM for Lynn. I'll post when I hear back.
Old     (mibu)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-24-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
They probably got in the same way they did when they broke into my trailer. Through the levee road in the back and then walked the rest of the way. There is no protection back there. They hit all the trailers in the right rear of the lot about a month ago. Haven't taken my trailer back since. They are just going to come back until Orwood provides some protection back there.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-24-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
Orwood was very cooperative. They replaced our latch right away on Saturday. They locked the adjacent locker too. The gate has been in the open position I think for a few days.

Just realized today that our Shadowbox is gone too.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-25-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
You should line the sheet metal with mouse traps, teach someone not to pry their fingers under other peoples shiz.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-25-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
Or razors.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-25-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Orwood definitely needs to step their game up. At the very minimum there needs to be camaras out there. There is farrrrr too much money worth of boats and equipment stored out there for them to be as lax as they are. There really should be a 24 hour guard. What do they have, maybe 200 storage units. At $200/month... They could afford some more security.
Old    Ben Kerran            01-25-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Evan- Agree 100%

I spoke to Lynn a bit ago. She said there are currently only two units not rented. She promised to get a padlock on both of them today.

Peter- She was under the impression that is was wind related and not a break in? I told her she should probably give you a call.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-25-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
Peter Which unit are you in?
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-25-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
Isaac- I'll email you our location. Definitely not wind related. The hasp was definitely cut by a saw or grinder from the inside. They got in by either going thru the vent between the lockers or by reaching around and bending the sheet metal.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
That is one of the reasons I like B&W Resort. They have a chain link fence all the way around with a laser system. They have camera's mounted around the place too. Plus onsite security. I pulled in one morning to grab my boat at 4:00 am and when I came back in at the end of the weekend he went dang you came in early the other day. I apologized, but he said no worries I just looked at the camera and saw it was you and went back to sleep. AWESOME!

The lockers are also always locked if they are rented or not.

I hate thieves, sorry your stuff got stolen.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-25-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
That's exactly how it should be.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       01-26-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
WOW, just ran into this thread. Yeah I have mine there and now looking into the Whisky Slough Storage...cant remember whole name, but when I talked to them about security, then have detectors and people with guns on site. That gives me a better piece of mind...for the price we pay we should have better security there too.