Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (jstroima)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-26-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
I just purchased a boat and am seeking a wakeboard set-up. I am a beginner/intermediate rider and was wondering if anyone has anything for sale or has any suggestions.
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-26-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
tell us how tall you are and how much you weigh
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
i posted this for another guy earlier and would like to add it to trew's questions.
What kind of ride are you looking for in a board?
FIRST Think of these questions:
Or What style do you think you have or want to build?

Now try your best to answer these questions in relation to those above: (this will help us to better narrow down a list of boards that will be a good choice)

BOARD
Do you want a fast board?
Do you prefer the idea of jumping wake to wake? (emphasizing threestage rocker boards)
Or do you prefer airing it out into the flats (flats= far past the other wake)(emphasizing, continuous rocker)
Do you see yourself wanting to progress to flips more or spins more?
Do you want a board that tracks well or one that is slippery?
Will you be hitting rails in the future?
Do you like the idea of flex?
will other people be using the board? (family board?)
Are you looking for a particularly soft landing board?
any other descriptions you can think of

BOOTS:
Do you like the idea of being strapped in pretty tight like snow board style?
Or do you prefer a more loose feeling, like a skate shoe?
Do you like the idea of open or closed toe?
Is ease of entry and exit a major priority?
Will many others be using the boots?
etc.

Rope and handle
Get a rope and handle set up that is made of "non stretch rope" either SPECTRA or DYNEEMA. This is IMPORTANT! and is the cheapest and best way to improve your ride

DEMO IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!! this is a golden rule
Old     (jstroima)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the info! I am looking for a board that I can use for about 3 or 4 months until i develop what I want in a wakeboard...I figure then I can donate this board to my friends that have never wakeboarded before...
-I do not have a skating background...simply love snowboarding and flyin high!
oh, i am 5' 7 165lbs!

any thoughts?
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-27-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
If you are reading this soon...go right away to boardersbestbuy.com and purchase the Hyperlite 3DS. I am about 6, 160 lbs, and I ride the 139. I would say that both the 135 and the 139 would work. I absolutely loved that board for the last 3 years....it is very user friendly and face it, you can't beat that price. You will find that you do NOT want to give this board to your buds though...its a keeper. The deals at boardersbestbuy are 1 day only, and they can sell out. I guarantee you won't regret the purchase.
Old     (jstroima)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
thanks for the advice! how about bindings? and a rope? does it matter?
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       03-27-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
I would recommend getting a board that will land soft, i.e. it is not flat on the bottom between the feet. Aside from that you could get about anything then make it the loaner board once you upgrade. I would not limit yourself to a "beginner" board. Grab at a minimum a intermediate and look up from there. Check out your local wakeboarding shop and talk with them they should be very helpful. Getting last year's gear is a great way to save some cash. It appear you are in a 135 to 140 range, again work with a local shop to educate yourself a bit.
Old     (jstroima)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
loren, just bought the 3ds! i hope you are right! now all i need is bindings!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-27-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
It is an awesome board. The only thing you will probably want to do with it is 'tweak' the fins. For a beginner, what it comes with will be great...they will provide you a locked in feeling. However, once you progress a little and want to start surface spins, you will either want to: 1) take them off, or 2) file them down, or 3) buy 'smaller' fins. I chose to file mine down, but it's fun to ride without them now and again for kicks.

Keep your eye on boardersbestbuy...they have had some great deals on bindings, ropes, vests, you name it. I wish they were around when I got my gear for the first time.

As far as 'what' bindings/rope to get, start lurking on this site (as well as using the search function, as many people have asked similar questions). Also, there is a Board/Binding review area here on Wakeworld where you can see the bindings, read the characteristics, and see reviews from actual riders. Invaluable research material. In my opinion, half the fun of the purchase is the 'hunt', so start clicking :-)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
good choice on the board jeremy

ROPE: as i said above, get a rope that says it is made of spectra or dyneema. most likely you will be getting spectra, because it is more commonly found and is a bit cheaper. For the most part ropes vary in coating and colors and such, but they should all perform just as well as others.

BINDINGS:
I would take a look at the Liquid Force Vantages. they are the easiest bindings to get into by far and super cumfy, exspecially the foot beds. CWB bindings have hinge tech on most and are super easy too.
Try on at least one of each company's binding in a store to get an idea of what you like. jump up and down on one foot to test the foot bed and wiggle front and back and side to side to see how you like support. some like stiff bindings some like soft. you be the judge. And then buy what you like somewhere else if necisary
Old     (tommysurfs)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-28-2008, 2:03 AM Reply   
Hey bud. Lots of good suggestions here. We would love to consult with you on the phone and help you buy a board at a great price. We give a performance policy that allows you to use the board for up to a month and return it for something else if you are not happy with it. There is way to really know without riding the board. Please call us at 1-800-592-7547 or 303-455-3091 and ask for Dusty or Tommy. Thanks a million.

Tommy Phillips
www.gettommys.com