Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (WisconsinWakeboard)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any expereince filming with both of these cameras? I've taken a few looks at the Kodak and it seems to be great quality; Full 1080p, 5x Zoom, and Waterproof up to 10 Feet. The GoPro has the same features, except it's waterproof to 100 ft. The only major difference I've seen is the $100.

Worth the upgrade or is the Kodak comparable?

ps, most edits will be on either imovie, or final cut. a file converter is needed for both i believe.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
I have the GoPro non HD version for photos and video and the quality is great. I can only imagine what the HD version is like. I have used it for surfing only so far. Haven't had a chance to mount it to my wakeboard yet. I am sure the quality won't change. I actually snapped it off the mount last Sunday and GoPro already has replacement parts on the way. Great customer service, no questions asked.

The big recommendation is to use RainX on the outside of the housing. This will keep the water drops off the housing that protects the lens.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-08-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
I would compare shakiness. The thing that blew me away about the Go Pro is how steady the shot looks. I have no idea how they pull that off, but I wish I could get that steady of a shot from my larger camera. I also saw footage from another waterproof HD camera recently and I notice that it's very shaky compared to the Go Pro. Obviously, it could be the person holding the camera, so you might want to check that out yourself.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2010, 9:58 PM Reply   
Here is a pic from the Non HD version...good quality for $100. This was early morning with a heavy marine layer. The video quality is just as good.

The smiley face protects my identity in the witness protection program.
Attached Images

Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-09-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
I just picked up the Playsport last week. It's decent, battery life is pretty bad, about 1 hour, I ordered 2 extra batteries off ebay for $10 total including shipping. The video quality isn't great in low or flat light. It can be a little shaky but overall not bad. Walmart had it for $129 so I went to bestbuy and they matched it. For $129 you can't go wrong. I was also looking at the HD hero but like the playsport because it has a lcd display and I play to use it for things other than wakeboarding.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
have you seen the Vholdr?? I think its a lot better than the gopro, and has better looking mounting.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-09-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
the thing ive always hated about the go pro cameras is they ALL have wide angle/fish eye lens. and with out a zoom, it makes all your subjects farther away than they are. if it wasnt for that i would have owned one along time ago.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-09-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
GO PRO! There is nothing better!
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-09-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
Here is a link to a couple of clips from the Playsport so you can see what they look like. It was shot in 720P 60fps with the image stabilization on. You can select the quality on youtube you want to watch it in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H43XP1WJ7WU

Last edited by sbt3; 06-09-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add