Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
Decided to make my own tramp board after seeing the price on the Guru. The first was a boogie board I cut down and added velcro straps to. I was amazed how much more it felt like wakeboarding than just bouncing alone. After 1/2 an hour of bouncing it snapped. The success of the first got me quite excited because it was so much fun and I think it will be a great tool for learning new spins and grabs.

Version two I made from 1/2" ply and I mounted some old snow board bindings. I traced around my Watson & rounded the ends off @ 110cm. The 1/2" ply has pretty good flex. I want it to feel as much like my board as possible. I intended to mount some 1/4" foam to the bottom to protect the tramp. I demoed it first to make sure it was kosha but after 3 or 4 big bounces it popped under the binding. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to bounce with a board this long but it seemed to be totally fine. Thinking about laminating a top sheet on it to help spread the stress but I don't want to take too much flex out of it. I will post another shot with the new top sheet and report back soon.
Upload
Upload
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-10-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Intersting??!!!
I would be a little concerned about the tramp material halding up to the wood. Even though the edges are rounded is alot different then if the whole board is made of some foam type composite material. IMO.
But kudos to you for trying on your own. No way I'm paying 300.00 bucks for a tramp board.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
Ok put a top sheet on. Its strong enough now but may not be quite flexible enough. The top sheet gives it a good swing weight. I'll put the foam on the bottom and give it a good bounce test.

Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
Put the foam on the bottom, pretty sure it will be sweet for the mat. Had a decent bounce, the tramp is about as big as a thimble so I can't bounce super high but can do 3's & grabs no problem. Even the wife tried it out, stupid boots and all. Just need the monster tramp now.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
That's awesome! I used to tape old skate shoes to a skateboard deck and duct tape the edges and worked pretty good for a while. I could do backflips and stuff but ever since I fell off..havent really been back on. For some reason I don't wait till im all the way in the air to flip, i start flippin right as im leavin the tramp so i fling myself backward. But yea that looks pretty cool..i'll have to see if my dad can make something like that.

Jamie
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-11-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Pretty nice,

you should try it on the water someday
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-11-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Looks good! I made this two or three years ago. I made it out of 3/4" plywood, and made it a little smaller than yours. I don't use any foam or anything and it's never messed up the tramp.
Painted her to match my premier.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cadethockey10)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
So after seeing this, I immediately fell for the whole idea. I got my old snowboard bindings out of the basement along with an old skateboard of my brothers. Stripped the skateboard down to the deck and now i'm attempting to attach the bindings. It looks like I'm gonna need to make new holes for my bindings to match up, but do u think i'll be fine w/ just a skateboard deck on the tramp surface? I don't really have any foam just laying around and I weigh 160 so i don't think it'll be that big of a deal. The deck and edges of the board are completely smooth, it's practically unused.
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-16-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
thats awesome