Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new ski. I'm looking at the O'Brien Sixam and Allegiance. The Allegiance is supposedly the same ski as the Sixam just with a foam core instead of a wood core.

I'm not a very accomplished course skiier. My PB is 3@15 off @ 32 mph. So I'm really just getting started. Is the Sixam too much ski for me?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-31-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
The Sixam isn't necessarily too much ski but its definately a high end ski and therefore a rocket on the water! If your mechanics are good then you'll progress quickly on this ski... If they aren't then high end skis will get you into trouble...
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-02-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
I've never heard O'Brien and 'Rocket' in the same sentence. Brad should be able to give you good advice on the beginning course skiing, as that's about where he's at!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-03-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Laugh it up Faucker!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-03-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
You know I love ya Blue!
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Alrighty then. Nick, you don't think the Sixam is a fast ski? Right now I'm on an O'brien and I like it but I rode my brothers F1X and now when I get back on my own it feels like it's dragging an anchor.

I was tempted to check out a Mapple as well. Since it's discontinued, you can get one for dirt cheap. But I think a shaped or semi shaped may help. I guess instead of asking what you guys think of these skis. If it were you, what would you check out?
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-05-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
Hey wait a minute, didn't Mapple set the world record 1@43 on an Obrien (Mapple), then Parrish broke it 1.25@43 on an Obrien (Sixam) and then broke it again 2@43 on an Obrien (Sixam)? Man those Obrien sticks are really slow!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-06-2006, 12:42 AM Reply   
Andy Mapple and Chris Parrish could break the record on about any new ski, they just happened to ski for O'Brien at the time. I'm not sayin the O'Brien isn't a good ski, I am just not a fan of there stuff after some duds in the part I had, like the G4. I like my D3 X5 right now, it's the most user friendly ski I've ever had. I skied into 32' off out of the box.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-06-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Yeah I know just razzin ya a little. Yes it's true those two could probably run 32 off on the old plastic Snoopy children’s ski I had, but as a lifelong O'Brien supporter I have to hang those records above the heads of the non believers.
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       04-06-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
My instructor ran 15 off on a set of 53" Junior Amigos. Pretty entertaining and a bummer at the same time. It stings a little when someone can whoop you on a 75 dollar children's ski.