Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    rainrider            06-22-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
doing a G turn the front of the boat submerged and shattered the windshield taking on enough water to fill the boat to the side rails... water in the oil.. Know where i can get a new windshield or any advise on a good place to start looking for parts to peice together my 92 malibu euro F3
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-23-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
what is a "G" turn???
Old    foobysmacker            06-23-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
sounds more like a F turn to me. one apparently that F's your boat.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
whatever kind of turn it was it sure sounds dumb. I bet u don't do that again!
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-23-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
I think he means a 180. And wow, how did you F up your boat doing that?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
did that once on a waverunner. Pretty fun on one of those. sounds like it sucks on a boat
Old    tommyadrian5            06-23-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
my advice, buy a pontoon boat, i have no sympathy more the results of stupid actions
Old    ag4ever            06-23-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
I do 180s all the time in my SANTE. Never have I sunk the nose under. A couple of times I have tilted the boat over enough to soak the people on the rear seat.

If done right, it is fun, if done wrong, you just turn around faster than normal. I can't see how you would bury the nose during a 180 turn.

Maybee he can let us know exactly what a "G-Turn" is.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-23-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
should have tried the ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP TURN instead
Old    d_fresh            06-23-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
Is the metal frame all screwed up? The glass can be replaced by any auto glass store. I needed the walk through portion of my window replaced on my Sunsetter Euro. The glass in those boats were straight pieces of glass (no curves). So the glass will not be a problem, but the frame may be another situation!
Old    rainrider            06-23-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Ok, here's the deal to all you smart folk. The older malibu's have a flat bottom. Like a seadoo you can go straight, let off the gas, turn the wheel and the boat will whip around doing a 180. This is no harm to the boat and is pretty fun. G turn is a G force turn, using the forces of the forward momentum to whip the boat around. We aren't out of hand crazy drivers or immature kids. This one particular instance the boat hit a parallel wave and sunk the front end creating a title wave over the bow. The wave crushed the windshield and flooded the boat. All of you that drive 10 mph in a straight line, have fun. This thread is not for you, otherwise I had a simple question.
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-23-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
In one sentence you say you aren't out of hand crazy drivers or immature kids. In the next sentence you say a wave crushed the windshield and flooded the boat....

Sorry, but anyone that puts their property and peoples' lives at stake by doing boneheaded maneuvers like that are (in my books) crazy drivers and immature kids.

And yes, I drive in a straight line. The people wakeboarding behind my boat thank me for that

Trash

Old    rainrider            06-23-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
Well lets see there was no boarder so couldn't get a thanks and just because you don't know how to handle your boat safely doesn't mean an accident can't happen. Who's life did i put at stake? Oh, thats right you weren't there, keep paddling your kayak in a straight line and stay off my lake!
Old    tommyadrian5            06-23-2004, 6:53 PM Reply   
"We aren't out of hand crazy drivers or immature kids. This one particular instance the boat hit a parallel wave and sunk the front end creating a title wave over the bow. The wave crushed the windshield and flooded the boat."

You're digging yourself deeper here, please keep your bonehead novice driving skills off of ALL of OUR lakes. Considering you've owned the boat less than 4 months and have now sank it and smashed the windshield i don't think you're cred is too high.

And to think, he was warned. By somebody who DOES know what they are doing.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/118699.html?1082001241#POST339656

And he also asked how his idiot friends could get him in trouble. Wasn't considering himself.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/169807.html?1085663437#POST350287

Old    ag4ever            06-23-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
If that is what you call it, I do them on occasion while waiting for my wife to get the trailer before loading up. I usually run to 35 MPH, then cut the throttle, then spin the wheel hard, then it whips the boat in a circle, then give it full throtle while pulling out, and the boat climbs up the wake it made and tries to jump out of the water. I think it is a hoot to get a boat that is almost two tons to handle like a little jet ski.

It sounds like you had bad luck, and might not want to do it with a boat that has such low freeboard.

BTW, most of the time I do drive in a straight line. Just not all the time.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
did you have insurance?

canoworms.jpg
Old    mb_girl            06-23-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
Bat turns, belly spins, I've heard them called lots of things. I will say that it's a really, really bad idea to do them in rough water - a hard lesson that you apparently have learned. Also, not a good idea to do them when other boats are around, since they tend to tear up the lake pretty good &, well, it's just more than a little unsafe. Lastly, if you're going to do one, MAKE SURE that everyone in the boat knows what you're going to do & is holding on tight - they have a tendency to toss people out of the boat. They can be done safely, but you need to know your limits & more importantly the boat's limits given the conditions that you're in.

(Message edited by MB Girl on June 23, 2004)
Old    rainrider            06-23-2004, 10:49 PM Reply   
Hey tommyboy, I grew up on Lake Stevens always having a boat and learning how to ski when I was 6. I had a sea doo when I was 14 and full access to the out boat. I only recently got my own because Im all grows up now and not using my parents stuff anymore. The lake was almost EMPTY and there were only my buddy and myself in the boat. I am a great driver never even had anything close to an incidence before. My idiot friends tread was merely to start a conversation about the different laws that we have to abide by. People share stories and bring new laws to light. Sorry that you have no friends and are now starting to get your senior discount on coffee at wendys but dont take your mid life crises out on me. This is why you have such a hard time finding a third. Or didn you not know about that rule.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-24-2004, 2:34 AM Reply   
They are alright it's just one of those deals were there is a time and place.I did have a buddy that did one,one person went into the water and myself got a bruised hip which I still don't think is ok.Sometimes depending on who is up front I will hit a roller to soak everybody. Sorry to hear about your boat that sucks.
Old    tommyadrian5            06-24-2004, 6:07 AM Reply   
"because Im all grows up now"

-Yea, it really seems that way

"Sorry that you have no friends and are now starting to get your senior discount on coffee at wendys but dont take your mid life crises out on me"

-Nice try, but I'm 24, have a boat, and at that, one that is floating, with a windshield, that i'll be riding behind for the foreseeable future, while you're busy serving me my coffee at wendy's trying to get money together to fix your busted boat. Insurance doesn't cover stupidity, so have fun coughing up the money to fix that.

You probably should have stuck with sea doos.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-24-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
disregarding the ethical implications, i wonder if insurance actually would cover the boat or injuries, especially if they read this thread?
Old    ag4ever            06-24-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
Insurance covers stupidity allthe time!

Pepole wreck their cars doing dumb things, and the insurance co. pays.

Same thing here. He had an accident! He did not intentionally wreck his boat, just made a bone head move.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-24-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
I just realized how Close-minded, Narrow-minded and Un-experienced some people on this site really are.
I (and some others) knew EXACTLY what Kevin was referring to. I have both driven and experienced this type of driving many times. This can also be refered to as a Power-Slide or 180 (if driven correctly)

It is NOT a simple driving procedure I will tell you that!!! It takes skill, confidence and a FULL understanding of exactly how the boat reacts, when to powerup or power down, when to turn etc...

I first drove one of these turns at 14 yrs of age...I am 30 now! So I guess my 16 years experience over a lot of you leaves me a little more open minded!

Oh yea, I have done this type of turn in my 2001 MC Maristar...nearly every type of tournament style boat will do a turn like this if driven correctly to execute the move. The flat bottom or extremely low dead-rise boats do it much better but nearly all of them will do it.

(Message edited by wakescene on June 24, 2004)
Old    zboomer            06-24-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Hmm, wonder if my SSV will do a bat turn? :-) Doubt I'll ever get the guts to try, heh.
Old    deltahoosier            06-24-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
Just to chime in. Sounds like a power turn to me. Hopefully this is just a play thing on the side and not done to get a rider. My MB Sports would do it pretty easy. The Malibu I have not even tried.
Old    rainrider            06-24-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
Some of the new boats won't do it, they'll just turn. I think your out of luck too Tom cause row boats just don't have enough speed to kick the back end around. You don't even have to be going that fast the key is to let all the way off the gas and crank the wheel. The boat simply turns and the rear end kicks around. We drained all the fluids in the motor and everything is good there. The new windshield is on order. 850 $ !!!!!!! Oh well its the price of doin business huh Tommy! Thats a lot of groceries for you to bag buddy!!!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
---I first drove one of these turns at 14 yrs of age...I am 30 now!---

Like most things in life,the consequence of making stupid choices usually take awhile to catch-up to ya.

B-
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
You know, I refrained from making comments since it was your driving that screwed the boat up, each to their own. But you subsequent comments just seem childish.

How does experience doing something make you open minded. If I drive like a bat out of hell for the last 16 years, does that make me open minded when someone totals their car from high speed?

I tend to find both of your attitudes a bit disappointing.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
--Like a seadoo you can go straight, let off the gas, turn the wheel and the boat will whip around doing a 180. This is no harm to the boat and is pretty fun.--

Looks like you found the harm in it.....
Old    tommyadrian5            06-24-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Bagging groceries, that's funny, especially coming from someone who probably cold calls people asking them if they want to refinance their home, all day, everyday.

It don't matter though, because I don't have to pay for a new windshield now do I.

Keith, well put. This clown is getting funnier by the minute.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-24-2004, 6:49 PM Reply   
Barry,
your comment doesn't make sense to me?

Keith,
??? With experience comes the ability to view situations from additional angles. This allows you to accept/deny what others might think is dumb, stupid, asinine or cool neat & fun! Also, comparing cars to boats won't work, the physics and nature of the driving are very different, as well as a host of other characteristics.
Old    ilovetrains            06-24-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
Hey guys - we have all done stupid stuff before. I did my share, and then I had to pay with a couple weeks of ICU and a year of rehab. Kevin and Tom need to take a step back.

Kevin - Tom is pissed because when you something like that it gives lots of us bad names, and maybe you didn't see me coming up behind you with my kids in the boat. I can see his opinion, and you should respect it, it was offered honestly.

Tom - Kevin has probably learned his lesson. After checking his shorts he is now checking his wallet. What he found in both stinks. Kevin didn't think he was taking a risk, and now he is trying to access the cost of his mistake.

Kevin - take it to Malibu dealer, take out a loan and kiss it goodby until next season.
Old    rainrider            06-24-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
This is amateur night. Frequently I hang on to the back of the boat when they do a "G" turn.

Good stuff.

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-24-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
Don't stop now, this is getting good. Nothing like seeing a Mortgage Broker and a Real Estate Analyst go back and forth like two third graders!
Old    mb_girl            06-24-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
Don't insult my 3rd grade son by suggesting that he would act like this.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2004, 2:27 AM Reply   
I guess all of you are just kids and have to be in bed before 10 just kidding.I wish I was a kid and had someone to play with,but instead I am up all night working good night and sleep tight.

Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
The comparison does work since it is both doing something risky shearly for the adrenalin. I am not comparing the physics of the vehicles, shearly the rationale for the behavior (I could have also said doing wheelies on my motorcycle as the example if you wish)

What purpose does the "G" turn have? Even when you have an injured rider you would not perform this turn, doing so would actually swamp your rider in rollers, causing more pain.
Essentially it is like this, I could care less about his actions or the fact that you do them. I think it is a bit reckless and obviously he found out. Plent of people do reckless acts and have to be prepared to pay the price, both for damage and when other people comment on the act. Live by the sword and die by the sword.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       06-25-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
Lay off the guy!!

Everyone has a differant idea of what fun is.

Some people think jumping horses over those little fences is extreme, playing nintendo all day is fun.

IMO. bat turns are fun, laying whips in a vette in a empty parking lot at 2 a.m. fun, wheelies on a motercycly is fun. racing down a skislope on a mountain bike trying to beat your last record fun. Big smokey burmouts fun!!!

Now if he was doing a bat turn in front of you i could see your prob. kevin already said "empty lake" lay off the guy. He was beatin on his boat not yours. Some people are harder on there things then others thats just the way the world works.

i'm outta here i am gonna go do wheelies up and down the block on a xr50- Fun!!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
Well, I had thoughtful reply ready, but then realized my boat is sitting outside ready to hit the lake...good luck with your repairs.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-25-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
IMO - G turns / Bat turns are one of the most dangerous mistakes a driver can make. I know someone who ripped a bat turn, one of his passengers flew out and was run over by the boat. The passenger did not survive. Please don't needlesly put lives in danger.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on June 25, 2004)
Old    rainrider            06-25-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
Its all so wonderful that you are all interested in my thread here. Too all of you that understand my point thank you. Watching Jesse James do burn outs in his 03 corvette makes me feel good! Accidents happen, basically I was doing a burn out in a HUGE empty parking lot and caused a little damage to MY equiptment. Parts are on order and will be fixed soon. My father just bought a 04 sunsetter so in the meanwhile I'll see what kind of damage I can do to that for him. My buddies and I ride dirt a lot as well. The next time my buddy jumps something or does a wheelie I'll have to yell at him because that ir REALLY UNCALLED FOR!!!! I MEAN COME ON, WHAT PURPOSE DOES A WHEELIE REALLY HAVE RIGHT!!!!!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-25-2004, 10:30 PM Reply   
Reminds me, Darwin awards are coming up soon...
Old    tommyadrian5            06-26-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
We've definitely got our first nominee.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-26-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
The ski team boat was 93 Malibu Euro F3, and yes it would do a mean power slide, as long as you go back on the throttle the bow should not go under. We used to this when no one was around or when were "skiing around the boat". Basicall pulling a slalom skier, skier whips out, driver turns into the skier in a power slide, driver throttles back to full power, skier and boat going other direction. Total trust between skier and driver.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Give the guy a break. Who hasnt done something stupid and wish they havent. Instead of thrashing on him for what he did, offer his some advice. Big f deal what he posted earlier.

I bet you guys are great fun to go out boarding with. I just hope no one eats thirty minutes before they get in the water in your boat, because as tight as you guys are wound, you would probably freak out on them too.
Old    rainrider            06-26-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
Thats Crazy Shane!!! I would be interested in seeing that! Tom, you may have to look away because the boat will not be traveling in a straight line. Oh shoot!!! I have to run because there is a tuber on the lake and they are turning this way and THAT!!!! I had better warn then before Tommy calls the cops!!!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-26-2004, 10:47 PM Reply   
This is hilarious. I bet half the guys who are giving kevin crap about this would say, "Damn, that was cool! You're a great driver. That was sweet!" if he just posted a video of a successful "bat turn." Now, however, because something went wrong, he's being chastised by everyone.

I guess next time anyone on here breaks a bone, tears a ligament, or gets a concussion; we can all say, "Haha! You're so stupid! You got what you deserve, you reckless immature wakeboarder!" What's that saying about glass houses and throwing stones?
Old    upupnaway            06-27-2004, 4:53 AM Reply   
It is rather funny. most of us on this board have probably been guilty of overloading our boats way beyond capacicity, and tearing up the water for skiers and fishermen. "Glass house" is right.

Kevin, my buddy has a Malibu sportster, a really low boat, and has learned that he has to take great care in how he drives.If he has 2 people on the back seat with the wedge down, and backs off the throttle all the way from wakeboarding speed to stop, he takes a wall of water over the back end. He is not beyond the regulations for weight, and not driving crazy, it is just that some boats cannot take certain moves. Good luck getting your boat fixed.
Old    mb_girl            06-27-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
Kevin,
If you ever want to see one of those boat/skier whips, go to a waterski show. It's usually part of the show & is absolutely a fantastic thing to see.

Totally agree on the glass houses thing.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-28-2004, 5:16 AM Reply   
Hey Kev,

Thats bad luck mate. Good luck with getting it sorted. The onlt time I dunked the bow of my MC was when we put too much ballst up the front and it took a nose dive. Didn't bust the screen but took on a sh*t load of water.

I do powerslides with my MC every now and then. Its only immature behaviour if the circumstances are so, eg you have kids on board, they are others in the water nearby, people in the boat are unaware and not holding on etc.

Things can and do go wrong but thats life. No one was hurt thats the main thing.
Old    ag4ever            06-28-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
My wife dunks the front of the boat when ever there is a new person sitting up there, and does not know it is coming. She probably gets about 50 gallons of water in the boat when she does it. Nothing has broken from that. I would bet the water did not break the windshield, but there was some extra forces applied by the hull being twisted by the boat spinning around while the nose took a dip. The water hitting it was probably the straw that broke it's back.

I still say that we all have fun our own way, and if he wants to do spins on the lake have at it. I will do it too. Just stay away from us while we are doing them and you will be ok. I sure won't be tracking you down to do spins in your lap, so all you worry warts, back off.
Old    lochindaal            06-28-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
From a completely different point of view. In the UK powerboat qualification courses are run by a professional body called the RYA (Royal Yachting Association). In Level 2 of this course a 180 power turn is the method taught for retrieving a person overboard at sea. Get round as quick as possible and head straight back down the line you came from to pick them up with hopefully somebody spotting the person the whole time. It may not therefore be such a dumb thing to know how to do if used correctly.
I think in the this instance just unlucky evn if it was being done for fun.
Old    rainrider            06-28-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
All the interior was dropped off today to the upolstry guy. I figured it was a good time to do this while the shield is on order. I will get all that back by Thursday he said. I also took the time to sand and repaint the dash while the windshield was out. The Boat should be done by friday! New interior, new windshield, new dash, and my motor with only 250 hours has been drained and with the new plugs runs GREAT!!! I have a 98 chev silverado with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch swampers. Was thinking about heading up to the hills with the dogs and getting some fresh air. Actually, after Tom and Keith's threads, putting a truck in 4 wheel drive is really unecessary so I think i'll stay home and watch tv instead!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-28-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Whatever dude, you pretty much show you maturity level with this stuff....

As I try to say before, you did something that had risk and had to pay. I do not care if you do "G turns" till the end of time... Much like anything else, you take chances and you may have to pay up. If I get hurt wakeboarding, I took my chances. I get hurt doing a dock start off a two story building, I expect to get ripped on.

As for four wheeling, it is something I enjoy doing, but obviously I will not be having that conversation with you. You tend take a few written words and act worse than my 5 year old about it.
Old    rainrider            06-28-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
Oh, cmon man. Just pitching you sh@t! The bottom line is that we are all part of this site because we are interested in the same thing. We're probably more alike than we think.
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
I see an boating episode of Jerry Springer in the making here. Stay tuned, we have an excellent script in the making.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
you guys don't understand. wakeboarding sucks ass in washington...all can do is tube, or g-force. he didn't tube, so it's cool.
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-28-2004, 10:25 PM Reply   
Easy Joe! Washington is a great place to ride.. I see you like it too seeing that Lake Sammamish is one of you're favorite places to ride. . .