Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    swass            12-29-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
Hi.

I promised the family that we'll get a dog by spring. So, I need to start looking now, if not sooner.

If you have any personal experience with a breeder for the following animals, I'd greatly appreciate your input: 1) German Shepherd Dog; 2) Mastiff; 3) Rottweiler. Not necessarily in that order. (I'm leaning toward the Rottweiler or Mastiff, myself.)

Ideally, I'd like to find a dog within a 12 hour or so drive from Denver, but I'll put the dog on a plane if I absolutely have to. I don't have a price point in mind, but I'd like to stay under $2k if possible.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Chris
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-05-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
MightSAM, great looking English! My Granddad had one when I was growing up. They are awesome dogs.
Old    Chris            04-05-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'll take "or else" for $500, Alex.

I do have more. I'll get on it!

She's getting big. She can't walk under the coffee table anymore without ducking. She whacked her head a few times before she figured it out.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
Well it's been 3 months since you last posted pictures of Pepper.... I'm sure she's grown a lot and done some funny things.
Quit holding. Everyone would love to know how she's adapting to the Swass family.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-14-2010, 2:06 AM Reply   
My brother-in-law photoshopped our 1.5 year old pup "Diamond" onto a bunch of diamonds...
Attached Images

Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-14-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
VonEisenhart Kennels. West of Denver. They have been breeding Rotts for over 30 years. Bred for their tempermant.. Here is a pic of ours. He is 7 months and 98 pounds.
Attached Images

Last edited by madriding1; 12-14-2010 at 8:37 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-14-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
sirus-American Bulldog (scott type)
Attached Images

Old    Chris            06-07-2010, 6:04 AM Reply   
Our little girl isn't so little anymore. She's a little over 5 months and about 50 pounds now.
Attached Images

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
MY GOD....how did you son get so old...
Old    Chris            06-07-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Tell me about it! Tempus Fugit, my friend.

He can wear my shoes now. He's 11! That ain't right!

When does your Doby come home?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Tell me about it! Tempus Fugit, my friend.

He can wear my shoes now. He's 11! That ain't right!

When does your Doby come home?
Good question.... Possibly October, but I threw a wrench into things a bit last week....

Kane is in my office as I type... Saves me some running back and forth with Michelle is working....

I talked with the breeder of the Doberman and though she usually would not place a puppy with another puppy(7 months), she is going to keep me on her list(I am #6, though some of that is dependent on color/sex ect) and we will see where we are in the next few months.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-07-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
That dog is PRECIOUS E.J.!
Old    Chris            06-07-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
awwww....he's adorable. How's he adjusting to his new home?

Pepper and I are pretty much inseparable now. I wish she could come to work with me.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
That dog is PRECIOUS E.J.!
Thanks! We sure think so....

Quote:
awwww....he's adorable. How's he adjusting to his new home?

Pepper and I are pretty much inseparable now. I wish she could come to work with me.

He is adjusting great.... In fact, the whole first week+ has been easier than I expected. Puppies are a lot of work, but the end result is rewarding....

We did have our first 10PM-5:45AM full night of sleep last night.... That was nice....
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
Wow! Pepper is going to be one big girl! My Rotti was no where near 50lbs @ 5 mos.
How's her personality shaping up? I was able to teach a few hand signals to my baby by her 5th month.
Old    Chris            06-08-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
She's gonna be a big un! The breeder predicted 80-90 pounds, but she might hit 100. She's definitely not over-weight.

As Holly likes to say, I'm completely puppy-whipped, but I think she has the most lovable, super personality of any dog I've ever had. Sampson was VERY willful and head-strong. Pepper is the total opposite. She is super mellow and easy to work with. Her training is going really well and socialization was cake. There's no such thing as a stranger to her. She still has the occasional potty accident in the house, which has me completely baffled, but that's really the only issue we have. Well that, and she likes to dig holes in my yard, but I'm so whipped I don't even care!

I should have her working off-leash in the next few months. I think by 12 months we'll have that licked.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-08-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
in the house, which has me completely baffled, but that's really the only issue we have. Well that, and she likes to dig holes in my yard, but I'm so whipped I don't even care!
That had me laughing....

The way these guys weave their way into our hearts....crazy....
Old    Chris            06-09-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
So, yesterday I bought a bunch of flowers for some planters on our back patio. I put all the trays of flowers on the patio, and then I got distracted with something else. By the time I made it back there again, guess what had happened? Pepper destroyed 90% of them. The remnants were all over the yard. She must not have liked the taste of the Marigolds, though. She left those alone.

That...wasn't so adorable.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-10-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
Hmmm... my rotti got up to 100lbs after turning 3. Just a tad over weight but not much.

Potty training wasn't much of an issue for me. Every time I took her for potty break I would say "Outside"and have her sit by the door. That eventually lead to teaching to "speak" while sitting next to the door as having to go potty.

As for the plants, this did take a little bit of work. Rolled up newspaper/magazine and spying.
As she went near a plant I would slap the rolled paper to make a loud noise and yell "NO".
After a while all I had to do was point at something and say "No" and she knew it was off limits.

Rotti's are eager to learn and love to please. Has yours started to talk back to you yet?
Old    Chris            06-14-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
I modified my behaviour instead of the dog's. I moved the planters to the front yard.

She hasn't started talking back to me yet. She's pretty insistent when she wants some lovin' though. She'll come over and kinda lean up against me. That means "get down here so I can sit in your lap."
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I have 2 Mastiffs, a Neo and a OEM. 2 totally different personalities.

THe NEO: Hard headed, stubborn, great protector, instinctive.

THe OEM: Sweet, sensitive, motherly to my kids

Both are very protective, not the "gonna kill you and rip your limbs off" but a cold confidence that they have. I have seen my Neo throw down once, he didn't like the roofer. No teeth, just shear brute strength. He took him down and wouldn't let him up. I can see both dogs defending my kids to the death. I have a 1 and 2 year old that pull poke prod and abuse the dogs, never any aggression.

My neo was clipped and his sac swelled up to a grapefruit size. our 2 year old stepped on it. NO snapping, only wincing at the pain and screeching. Once again, NO aggression, snapping or anything else. Perfect family dogs.
Attached Images

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-14-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
swas, she is looking really good brotha, congrats again shes beautiful. wish you all the best and remember to keep her busy everyday. they are working dogs and aim to do nothing but please there masters. its truly amazing how many different tasks and commands that rottis can understand and remember. pretty soon she will be tipping the scale at 100+ lbs. congrats!!!
Old    Chris            06-15-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Thanks, Bryan. We're all really happy to have her in the family.

She'll be 5 1/2 months old on Sunday. She weighs 52 pounds.

That's a good lookin' beast you have there, Rich!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-15-2010, 10:28 PM Reply   
Thanks, he is a sweety. BUT, a switch is flipped when he goes to protection mode. He loves his kids.

It is so nice to have a dog that loves the baby's and protects them
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
Well how goes the training with Pepper? Or is it your behavior modification... lol I know you have more pictures.
Old    Chris            08-18-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
Hi Shirley,

Pepper is doing really well. I watched her bury a bone yesterday. I thought that only happens in cartoons.

She's getting to be a big, strong girl. She pushes my parents' GSD around like a rag doll.
Attached Images

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-18-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
so have you got her in the water yet. i swear you would think cyrus is a lab with no tail.
Attached Images

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
Water....

Pepper looks great Swass..... Scout(previous Boxer) use to bury bones.....
Old    Chris            12-13-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Pepper turns one year old next week. Tempus Fugit!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-13-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
I know you have updated pictures of your spoiled 4 legged child. Post 'em!!!
Old    Chris            12-17-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
I haven't taken any new ones in awhile, but I'll take a few this weekend.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-17-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Well get on it Old Man!!!

BTW happy really really belated birthday!
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-17-2010, 11:16 PM Reply   
Gotta love a Rott
Old    Chris            12-27-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Thanks! (I'm not old, I'm "distinguished looking.")

I took some pics, but they're still on the camera. Baby steps.

Last edited by Chris; 12-27-2010 at 8:08 AM.
Old    Chris            12-27-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Good lookin' dogs, everyone.

How's your pooch, E.J.?
Old    Chris            01-04-2011, 6:55 PM Reply   
Here are a few. She's about 80 pounds of love.

Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2011, 4:08 AM Reply   
About time you posted Peppers pictures! How about a few more? lol
How's her personality shaping up? She does have some long hair too.

Told ya you'd love being a Rottie owner!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-06-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Here is our new dog, his name is Buster and he is half english bulldog and who know's what.( mommy went slumming one night!!!) His previous onwers left his mom out on the porch for one night and she ended up pregnant.

First picture is two weeks old and the second is just before 7 weeks.
Attached Images

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-06-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
holy crap, what a cute pup!!!

great lookin' dog, chris!
Old    Chris            01-06-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
Thanks, Joe.

Buster is pretty darn adorable.

Pepper has a great personality, Phantom. She's by far the most affectionate dog I've ever owned.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-07-2011, 5:25 AM Reply   
First time seeing this thread. Swass, is that your son above? Man I feel old now.
Old    Chris            01-07-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
Hi Jason. How've you been?

Yes, that's my oldest son, Andrew. He's 11 now.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-07-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Ive been well! I have a 2yr old now, so not much time on the water or the interweb these days. You dont really think about it day to day as the years go by and you get a glance at peoples kids on here. Then one day someone posts a pic of what you remember to be a small kid and he's 11!!!
Old    Chris            01-12-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
Ain't it a b****???? lol The time goes by so fast. I was just thinking the same thing the other day when I saw my neighbor's daughter drive off in her car. It seemed like just yesterday that she was at our door in her princess costume on Halloween.

Congratulations, dad!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-14-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
^^hes about 130lbs