Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Pokesgrad02)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-16-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
My wife and I love to slalom but looking for a boat that the entire family can enjoy. As the industry is moving rapidly to board sports it is very hard, without skiing behind every boat, to get a gauge on a good slalom wake and what is not. How is the room in the 200 sport? Would I be better off looking at another make/model?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-16-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
How big is your family? Do you take others out to? I think the topic has been discusse recently here but maybe over on PN itll be a better read but the boat will get crowded quickly with people & gear.

Its an awesome boat for a crossover. Its def possible to get a decent slalom wake out of this vdrive boat. What speed & length do you ski at may I ask?

You might want to visit Planet nautique forum, there are a few threads going about this sport 200v.

Heres the one we use.

Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-17-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
Its the only true crossover boat if you can get the 6L its like a Corvette on water.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-17-2012, 5:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
Its the only true crossover boat if you can get the 6L its like a Corvette on water.
That's incorrect. Malibu VTX. For 2013, besides Surfgate, the VTX will also be getting the center mounted ski pylon option as well, a first for V-drive boats. As for the Corvette comparison, you can actually option the Corvette motor on the VTX (LS3), something PCM doesn't offer.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-17-2012, 5:15 AM Reply   
How is the VTX first for having a center mounted pylon when the Sport 200 already has it? Also the sport 200 is also AWSA certified which would mean one of extremely few "V-drives" that are tournament rated.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-17-2012, 5:16 AM Reply   
My buddy's X-14V also has a center mounted pylon.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-17-2012, 5:20 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...er-20-vtx.html

Here is the WW artile on the 2013 VTX. Doesn't say anything about AWSA certification therefore sounds like it's more geared toward board sports than it is slalom so if the OP is looking for reputable slalom wake with the capabilities to also board behind, I would say the Sport 200 is the way to go. It is the same hull as the direct drive 200 just recieved a different top deck, tower, moved the engine to the back, installed removeable center pylon, and added internal ballast. Don't take it from me look at all of the records that the direct drive 200 has broken. Why not go with a Sport 200?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-17-2012, 5:23 AM Reply   
I'm not familiar with the 2013 VTX I will have to check them out. The 200 Sport leaves some pretty big shoes to fill. The bar has been set high bu Nautique I hope Malibu can raise to the mark.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-17-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
Like the others have said...not sure what this metal piece is then that we've been attaching the rope to thats mounted in the center of the boat over the last 11mos

I hope thats not Malibus selling point of this vtx "being the first".

The 200 hull is an excellent hull, this sport200 just adds the vdrive and built in ballast.
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-17-2012, 5:54 AM Reply   
My guess is a salesman at the dealer told him that hahahaha
Old     (Sethjoe)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-17-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...er-20-vtx.html

Here is the WW artile on the 2013 VTX. Doesn't say anything about AWSA certification therefore sounds like it's more geared toward board sports than it is slalom so if the OP is looking for reputable slalom wake with the capabilities to also board behind, I would say the Sport 200 is the way to go. It is the same hull as the direct drive 200 just recieved a different top deck, tower, moved the engine to the back, installed removeable center pylon, and added internal ballast. Don't take it from me look at all of the records that the direct drive 200 has broken. Why not go with a Sport 200?
http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/Tou...ntTowboats.pdf

Doesn't look like the sport 200 is AWSA approved either?
Old     (Pokesgrad02)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-17-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
We have a family of 4 and like to take couples with us. We ski @ 15 off 32mph. I was looking at the 200v for the room and the versatility. We currently have an 18' sea ray (first boat) that we love, just is not working for our boating needs. I did not want to get into a prostar or similar because the boats seem to have less room than our I/O definitely when you are towing.

Another concern (largely from my father in-law) is that this boat is not built for cruising and my gas bill will eat me alive. We boat on Table Rock and often will boat over 50 miles in a day not to mention skiing as we go. Should this be a concern or should I just view it like driving a 3/4 ton diesel truck as a commuter? Just having a hard time imagining my fuel consumption will go up by more than10-15%
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-17-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
http://waterskimag.com/tag/sport-nautique-200/

This was for 2011, don't see why a 2012 which is the same exact boat would not be certified.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-17-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Towing should not be an issue at all as the boat is only 20' and although I doubt the sea ray you have has it, but some sea rays are built with pressure treated plywood therefore probably making the heavier than some of their competitors. This is just speculation not fact but it seems logical. You really can't go wrong with a Sport200. Even the performance and drivibality is amazing. Very flat and controlled turns even at high speeds. It drives like a sports car.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-17-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
How is the VTX first for having a center mounted pylon when the Sport 200 already has it?
Sorry, the article I read said first...must have meant first for Malibu.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-19-2012, 10:36 PM Reply   
Does this boat have ballast. Anyone wakeboard behind? How is the wake? Thanks
Old     (Big_Mick)      Join Date: Dec 2010       08-19-2012, 11:26 PM Reply   
If you buy the Team edition it comes with 3 ballast tanks or you can add too the base model.

Wake is awesome for beginner to intermediate riders. I took one out for a couple of weeks and love it.
It had a nice surf wake also.

For an all round boat, its awesome! Nothing like it on the market currently!
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-20-2012, 1:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Do you know how much ballast in TE? Thanks
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       08-20-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
I would expect your fuel bill to go up quite a bit. An inboard is not nealy as efficient for crusing as an IO, but the difference is night and day when you ski/board behind one! Add to that the fact that the 200 hull is even less efficient than most inboards and you have a fairly slow boat with higher fuel burns while cruising. I have a DD200 and absoloutely LOVE it and never give it a second thought at the pumps, but then I don't cruise much. Throw me a line and I can't stop smiling!
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       08-20-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
My neighbors down here in Florida have a Sport 200 and absolutely love it!
When they first bought it they asked me to come out and help them out with the new boat as this was their first inboard. I brought my ski, my wakeboard, and a wake surf board.
I was very impressed with the boat overall! I was able to run the slalom course, 32mph @ 22 off, have fun wakeboarding behind it, ( I did have to run a fairly short rope) but with just stock ballast I was able to do everything I wanted too. I think with added weight it could get alot better!
What really impressed me the most was the stock surf wake. WIth the front and port tanks filled and about 4 people in the boat, the Sport 200 produced a very fun surf wake. I had a blast on it, and I was able to teach everyone on the boat to surf that day.

As far as space, the boat wasnt huge, but for a 20 foot I was more than happy.

For someone looking for a boat to do everything, this boat would be my #1 choice.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-20-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesgrad02 View Post
We have a family of 4 and like to take couples with us. We ski @ 15 off 32mph. I was looking at the 200v for the room and the versatility. We currently have an 18' sea ray (first boat) that we love, just is not working for our boating needs. I did not want to get into a prostar or similar because the boats seem to have less room than our I/O definitely when you are towing.

Another concern (largely from my father in-law) is that this boat is not built for cruising and my gas bill will eat me alive. We boat on Table Rock and often will boat over 50 miles in a day not to mention skiing as we go. Should this be a concern or should I just view it like driving a 3/4 ton diesel truck as a commuter? Just having a hard time imagining my fuel consumption will go up by more than10-15%
This boat will more than exceed expectations for watersports coming from an 18' I/O, but going from a 4.3L v-6 planing hull to a v-8 displacement ski boat - which has more drag than typical tow sports boats, your gas bill will probably double depending on what grade fuel you run currently and have to run in the new boat, and if you run weight, definitely count on it easily doubling... This boat also will run rougher through waves where the i/o goes over...
Old    9Drozd            08-22-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
This boat will more than exceed expectations for watersports coming from an 18' I/O, but going from a 4.3L v-6 planing hull to a v-8 displacement ski boat - which has more drag than typical tow sports boats, your gas bill will probably double depending on what grade fuel you run currently and have to run in the new boat, and if you run weight, definitely count on it easily doubling... This boat also will run rougher through waves where the i/o goes over...
Why does the term displacement hull get thrown around all the time with ski and wakeboard boats. Fact is, both I/O and inboard are planing hulls. A displacement hull is like a giant tanker ship. It never planes, just displaces the water around it.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       08-22-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
If you want interior and storage room, I would strongly recommend the MasterCraft X-14v. It was the first V drive ever record certified and has much more room than the 200 sport.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
Same, 200v is not a bad boat by any means, but with a family and gear you run out of room & storage quickly, not to mention that it isn't certified. I would at least check out a 214v before you pull the trigger on a 200v.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
the VTX will also be getting the center mounted ski pylon option as well, a first for V-drive boats..
not quite the first. My 1998 tige 2200v has a center mounted pylon.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2012, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
http://waterskimag.com/tag/sport-nautique-200/

This was for 2011, don't see why a 2012 which is the same exact boat would not be certified.

The manufacturers have to pay to get these boats approved every year. Nautique shelled out the money in '11 so that they could say it was approved and then being a v-drive of course no promo drivers picked that boat, so there was no reason to re-certify for '12 as they could already say that the boat was approved. The VTX with the ski hull would most likely also be approved, but I am assuming Malibu does not want to pay the $$$ which would then get passed onto the customer to say they were the second v-drive to be certified. If you know anything about tournament water skiing, if a promo driver showed up with a v-drive 99% of the skiers would be pissed, I don't care if it's the 200 or the VTX, as the Nautique and Malibu DD are still way superior ski boats. That's not to say these wouldn't be good cross over boats, but you're kidding yourself if you think getting a 20' v-drive AWSA approved is that big of deal.

I was also at a Malibu dealer this week that was talking about the center mounted pylon. As a tournament skier that can get into 38' off, I don't see what is so great about this as anyone that can get into short line is going to start running in the G3 tower at the shorter lengths so it would actually be better to have a sun pad mounted pylon.

You just have to decide what is more important to you. If tournament level slalom is extremely important to you I would not get anything outside of a DD boat. I've weighted an Response LXI with a wedge and got a solid wakeboard wake and with enough people it isn't a horrible surf boat. If wake boarding and surfing is more important, I would probably got with a 21+ V-drive. To me, the DD is more spacious at 20' than the V-drive and I don't think I would want to have very many people in an VTX or 200 or it will start getting uncomfortable fast.
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-24-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Josh -
I tried to send a PM but kept getting a error. My name is Cory and I work for the Nautique and Sea Ray dealer on Table Rock Lake. I would be happy to take you and your family on the Nautique Sport 200. Send me a PM or look on Nautique.com for the dealer in Branson.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-24-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
I know the Moomba outback LSV isn't up to the plushness as the VTX, 214V or sport 200 but have you considered it? I have no personal knowledge but from what I have heard it might be one of the best 3 sport boats out there when talking about skiing, surfing and wakeboarding. With the wakeplate it should be able to create a fairly flat/soft ski wake. It also has more room and storage then the 214V or the 200 sport and is probably a lot less then a VTX.

Anyways, just a thought.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-27-2012, 12:36 PM Reply   
family and I have compared both and I would chose the VTX for the following reasons:

interior depth - the sport 200 is just too shallow inside. It realy feels like a slalom tractor with a v drive in it.

storage space - seemed like more space in VTX than 200.

comfort - the seats were more comfy to the wife and child in the VTX

wake - VTX diamond hull is very respectable for slalom wake. wakeboard wake is typical malibu. Get the surfgate and now it surfs better as well.

tower - G3 tower is proabably one of the best towers ever. Now, as of this year, you can get a cargo rack on it as well.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-27-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
^^ what makes the G3 the best tower ever? Z5 can go on most boats and have already come on Nautique's before they were applicable to Malibu. Nautique's flip down rear seat makes accessing the rear compartment and ski locker much easier than any VTX I've been on. PCM is also another huge advantage in the Nautique line up. Interior is stiched with Gortex while I am fairly sure the VTX is not. Small scale yes but it when you consider longevity and investment I would want something that is going to hold together for years and years. The Sport 200 hull is the same as the 200 hull and while maybe this year we didn't buy any certifications, the 200 has set many more world records and championships than any VTX. I don't doubt that the VTX is a solid boat and would work, I don't doubt that your family loved it and if you guys are stoked on it that's awesome!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-27-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
BTW a 214V will accomodate much more to board sports than ski wakes. Sport200 will by much more versitile but yes you will lose storage space.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
Would rather have more wrap around seating like the VTX than a flip down rear seat to access storage. Never had a problem accessing storage on a VTX. IIRC the ballast tanks take up a lot of room in the rear compartments of the Sport 200. Why is PCM a huge advantage?
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-27-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Well I really didn't intend for that last post to turn into a peeing contest, rather just wanted to elaborate on a few things and figure out why he felt the G3 tower was the best. I like the VTX I just honestly feel the Sport200 out performs it. Maybe not in storage or wrap around seating but being that both of these boats are 20' I highly doubt any VTX is going to have that much more storage or seating. Maybe one extra person can sit on the wrap around in the VTX? I'd rather flip down a seat than climb over my vinyls everytime I need to get something out of a rear hatch. As far as the PCM subject I really don't want to get too deep into as I try not to be too entirely biased on here but just some standard facts alone.... Our base 5.7 puts out more horsepower and torque than Indmars 5.7 not to mention PCM has been putting their engine in Nautique's for what? 35 years or something. That's a long relationship with an engine manufacturer and a lot of time to build and perfect the blend between boat and motor.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-27-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
Also (Once again I'll say it, I like Malibu Boats I'm not hating and these are my opinions) the MaliView touch screen I feel is a huge flaw. Not talking about functionality or how cool it looks either. I just don't understand why these manufactures make anything "touch screen" in a boat. Lets see, people use slime and soap to get into boots then potentially touch the screen later. I can see a dad wiping kids down with sun screen then turning around and adjusting the screen all while leaving residue on the screen thus meaning a touch screen will depreciate much faster than anything non touch screen like Nautique's LINC 2.0
Old     (wakebrdgod)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-27-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
^^ what makes the G3 the best tower ever? Z5 can go on most boats and have already come on Nautique's before they were applicable to Malibu. Nautique's flip down rear seat makes accessing the rear compartment and ski locker much easier than any VTX I've been on. PCM is also another huge advantage in the Nautique line up. Interior is stiched with Gortex while I am fairly sure the VTX is not. Small scale yes but it when you consider longevity and investment I would want something that is going to hold together for years and years. The Sport 200 hull is the same as the 200 hull and while maybe this year we didn't buy any certifications, the 200 has set many more world records and championships than any VTX. I don't doubt that the VTX is a solid boat and would work, I don't doubt that your family loved it and if you guys are stoked on it that's awesome!
More records have been set behind Malibus than 200s since the 200 was released. Indmar has 2 more years of warranty than PCM and in fact offers more HP for base 350. No belt driven water pump on Indmars and if you wnat to get down to it, Indmar has marinized 350s a lot longer than PCM since their bread and butter (the GT40) was used for years and is now extinct. As for G3, have you used it yet? A weightless, rock solid design that looks great with great visibility? Winner. Sport 200 is nice. Definitely a great addition to the world. But that doesn't mean someone who picks a VTX has their head up their butt.
Old     (wakebrdgod)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-27-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Also (Once again I'll say it, I like Malibu Boats I'm not hating and these are my opinions) the MaliView touch screen I feel is a huge flaw. Not talking about functionality or how cool it looks either. I just don't understand why these manufactures make anything "touch screen" in a boat. Lets see, people use slime and soap to get into boots then potentially touch the screen later. I can see a dad wiping kids down with sun screen then turning around and adjusting the screen all while leaving residue on the screen thus meaning a touch screen will depreciate much faster than anything non touch screen like Nautique's LINC 2.0
Malivue is not a touch screen btw. That's Malibu touch command (MTC). What do dirty hands have to do with making it "depreciate" faster? It's for a boat not a car and it shows in its materials. Malivue is congruous to linc and is still used. Check out medallion's new app for the Malibu mobile gateway and you might see why going totally digital and where the industry will be headed.

Bottom line is sport 200 and vtx are great, neither of which would have been envisioned 10 years ago. Some people prefer one over the other. It's all good.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdgod View Post
Bottom line is sport 200 and vtx are great, neither of which would have been envisioned 10 years ago. Some people prefer one over the other. It's all good.
Well said.

I'm not going to get into why Ilmore's are better than PCM's, they just are. Made by Penske, they're the best