Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (boardridesurf)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
I would like to progress more this year and am looking for advice on a board that will help me with the skills that a want to improve. I ride behind a 23' Enzo with usually about 1000 lbs of ballast, so the wake is medium to large. I weigh 185lbs and am 6' tall. My surface tricks are fine, I can do 180's (clearing the wake heel side and landing between the wakes on toe side), and can clear the wake on heel side way out into the flats. I have been able to do the above for the last couple of years and have been stuck at that skill level for a couple seasons. The skills that I want to improve on are clearing the wake toe side, 360's, and completing a basic invert. I still don't think that I load the rope up enough on heel side, and I know I don't on my toe side. I kind of feel that a narrower or shorter (therefore more sinky) board would be easier to keep on edge all the way through the wake. At the end of last season I was riding a Ronix One, however I didn't like to hard impact when jumping heel side into the flats. The board that I have been riding the most for the last few years is a Hyperlite 142 TFD DNA. This board lands soft and overall I like it but I have heard others who also feel like this board is hard to progress on. I have been considering a Hyperlite State 140 since it is asymmetrical as claims to improve toe side. I know that this is not a real popular board but I really want to have some progression. I am 33 so I am not looking or expecting to become a great wakeboarder, I just want to not feel stagnant with improving. Which ever board I do end up with needs to land fairly soft, needs to have enough outward launch to be able to take into the flats (not just straight up like an aggressive 3-stage), can't beat me up if the water isn't glassy which we rarely get and forgiving. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old    alanp            03-11-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
well id say youre probably a beginner. based on your skill set listed. its seems like youre looking for a board to compensate for your difiencies. i would recommend staying on your current set up until you can do basics like clearing the wake ts. there is no real need to spend a month or so learning a new board when you could use that time to learn how to edge properly. just my opinion
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Id go with a CWB Pure or Kink. My personal favorite is the Pure because it has 4 molded in fins (2 on each side) with 2 screw in fins that come with it and its a bit wider then what your on now. The width of the board will probably help you out the most because as a beginner level rider it gives you more surface area thus keeping you more stable. As you advance in your riding you will find out that the width helps generate more pop off the wake.
Any ways this board is good if your a beginner or a Pro. Hope that what your looking for