Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (bck0002)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-23-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Anyone ever plumbed in this system without using the costly system that they sell?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-23-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
Im sure you could run the overflow from the rear tanks into new bags, T-off the center bag to fill a front one... then all you would pay is for 3 new bags, "T" and a little hose... re-time the pumps.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Nick what you describe is exactly what the system does. It has all of the necessary hose and connection fittings to make the system overflow into the extra bags. You could try to use cheaper hose but when you run it under the seats and through the hull you run the chance of getting a pinched hose. This is why they use the thick black hose that doesnt pinch. The other thing is that you are getting custom fit sacs for all of the specific parts (4x). You could use other sacs, as I am sure other will say from WW, but you might not get the optimum amount of weight. All in all you will get what you pay for with these kits. Its a good chunk of change for a well thought out and designed product.

John Brine
www.waterskis.com
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-23-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
i had it installed last year. best thing i could have done...
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-25-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
The overflow of the tanks is not what fills the extra bags. It comes with 3-way switches to switch between the tanks and the bags.
The system comes with four bags, hose, clamps, couplings and three 3-way switches.
It will be hard to custom-build this and beat the price by much.
On top of that the 3-way switches look like standard equipment after they are mounted and not like some after-thought. Something that is pretty important in your expensive boat.
We have had it now for three years and it works fine.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
Yeah, go for the Fly High system. I'll take care of ya.

www.wakeskishop.com
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-25-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
Eddy,
I dont want to throw you under the bus, but the system doesnt come with a toggle system to fill the bags. The system is based on the overflow into the tanks. There is however a flow threw valve that you can turn on and off if you do not want to fill the entire ballast and just go stock.
Depending on the year of the Star you might have to reprogram your pump timing box to ensure that you fill everything in (necessary for 07 to current X Stars). But thats really not a big deal. We have all of the documentation on how to reprogram the timers to get everything working. We have put in a ton of these kits over the past few years. Its really not all that hard.

Coleman,
Here is the generic description of the kit - http://www.waterskis.com/Custom-X-Star-Ballast-Upgrade-Adds-2500-Lbs-To-Fac-p/custom%20x-star%20ballast%20upgrade.htm

One other thing to note that if you are putting in the kit yourself I would HIGHLY recommend getting a little extra hose. The way the kit comes originally is designed for MasterCraft not for you and I to install. Meaning that they put the kit in before the seats are installed in the boat and can run the hose a little more directly. Because you (and even us at the dealer level) install the kit post-build the extra hose saves a ton of time and headache.

We have a ton of experience with this installing and getting this kit to work perfectly in your boat. If its something that you want to get ordered up let me know. Also, if you have any other questions dont hesitate to shoot me an email.

John
John@waterskis.com
www.waterskis.com
Old     (bck0002)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-25-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
i already have the custom bags. just looking for a better way to fill them than manually, but cheaper than the fly high kit.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-25-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
I don't want to slam the Fly High System but I would strongly suggest getting everything in writing from them and your installer, as to how "easy" this system works with X-Stars, and what guarantee they are willing to offer you, such as a full refund of parts and labor if it doesn't work. In my experience (and 4 others that I know of), it's anything but easy and does not work as advertised. In my opinion, you can do your own system that will be less expensive and function. I would say function better here, but "function" would suffice if you catch the drift.
Old    star_star            03-25-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
i had the system installed by my selling dealer. it was his first install and he caught the devil getting the active intelligence timers to work properly. they never did work properly. then, he vented the bags separately through the hull as opposed to tapping into the existing vents. then, at my suggestion, he put a splitter in the line that fills the front bags. after the fill hose splits he put separate cut-off valves just before each front bag. this way each of the four bags can be independently filled and emptied as needed for surfing either port or starboard. my system works as advertised now but it was not nearly as simple as plug-and-play.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-26-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Coleman, I have a break down of the hose and the other fittings that you would need. I can try to work out a "package" price for everything also. Hit me up if that's something that you would want to look into.

John
john@waterskis.com
www.waterskis.com
Old     (pvredline)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-18-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Steve:

Sad to hear that you and 4 others had a bad experience with the FH system. From our experience at the dealership, this system is straightforward and works well. The install is easy, it does take some time, but in the end really wakes up the Star. It comes down to the quality of the shop doing the work. You guys can trust Midwest, they absolutely know what they're doing.
PV
Madison, WI
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-18-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
I'll second Paul about Midwest on the installs (stereo and ballast). They're great. Good guys, good service, very knowledgeable.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-18-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
My buddy just got it installed on his boat and other than the fact the timers are not correct (which kinda seems like the main issue with these kits) it works great and like was mentioned looks like it is part of the boat and not an afterthought.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-18-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
i love mine. i could not live without it. i had the other bags. travis moye suggested i get rid of them on ebay and go with he fly high system. best advice i ever got for my x-star.