Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-25-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
I am in the market for my first boat. It will be a family boat for me, the wife, and four small kids (9,7,5,3). We are recreational skiers and beginner boarders and surfers.

In order to fit into my garage, I'm looking at 20' boats.

Here are two boats that I am very interested in:

2007 Malibu Wakesetter VTX
Blue, White, and Black
Monsoon 340 with 65 hours
Illusion X (no racks or tower speakers)
Perfect Pass Zero Off
Bow ballast
Floating wedge
Standard stereo (deck + cabin speakers)
Tandem Extreme trailer
Bimini & cover

2007 Mastercraft X-1
Black & White
RTP 310 with 110 hours
Standard MC '07 tower
MC swivel racks
Perfect Pass
Stereo has deck w/ iPod hookup, cabin speakers, amps, sub, and 2 MC tower speakers with lights.
Tandem MC trailer

Both boats look brand new.

In this economy, what would you pay for them?

Assume both cost the same... which would you pick? Why?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-25-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
VTX, hands down. It has way more room inside, more storage, under floor ballast, etc..

Also the vtx with the 4 ballast tanks and a wedge throws a very nice wake. The X1 will require some extra weight over stock.

Do you know what hull is on the VTX. There is an option of a wake hull or Diamond hull. The diamond is better for skiing and the wake is better for wakeboarding.

How deep exactly is your garage? Both these boats will probably be closer to 21' with the platform off and tongue folded in.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-25-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
VTX...though the x-1 isn't a bad choice
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-25-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
VTX all the way. That what we ride behind, and the wake it kick ass. Granted we have an extra 1500lbs in it, but even stcck it's nice. Drives like a Porsche on the water. TONS of room inside considering it's only 20'.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-25-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
I have 22'4" of depth in my garage. I know both will fit, but I was thinking the VTX would give me a bit more room to walk behind it. But that's not the case. I just got back from measuring them... they are both 20'10" on the trailer. Even though the X-1 hull is longer, the wedge on the VTX takes up a bunch of space.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-25-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
im going to say an x1. Its just that good of a boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-25-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
VTX if you want a comfortable family boat. X1 if you want a great wake.

I would get the X1
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
I thought the CFO said no to a playpen style bow? That would leave you with the X-1. Still have your $32k budget?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-25-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
Okay, picture time. Sorry the covers were on.

Here's why I'm torn.

VTX: I know I'm supposed to want the VTX... newer design, wider beam, more storage, more power with Monsoon, bow ballast, wedge, bigger swim platform, zero off pp, etc.

Upload

X-1: The VTX wins in every category except two: 1)I am in LOVE with the MC tower, speakers, and swivel racks, and 2) I LOVE the color (top deck is white). It would look soooo nice behind my white '08 Suburban. It's rare to find a boat with a white trailer. Seems they are all black these days.

Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-25-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
That X1, especially in that color combo, will never go out of style, and the wake is one of the best ever.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-25-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
The tower on the VTX is much more solid than the X1. I love the swivel racks, but hate the tower, too much movement and noise. You should drive both---the handling on the VTX is awesome, even when loaded. The wake is great on the VTX!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-25-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
Both boats have a great wake. Please don't let someone tell you one is better than the other as these are just personal preferences.

Looks like the weather will keep you from taking them out on the water soon.

Nice thing about the Malibu is that you can get 4 racks on the tower. Not so with the X1. You might say, "we will never need four racks..." yeah I said the same thing. Trust me on that one.

IMO, if you are in love with the color of the X1, look around for a VTX in a similar color. There should be plenty of them out there right now. From there, you should be able to decide which one you are really in love with.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       01-25-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
Did I miss the price?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-25-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
^^^ Nice catch Bryan

The CFO's stance on the playpen bow has softened a bit in the past few weeks. It helped to go sit in a few at the boat show (she loved the Supra bow with pop up seat back). She still doesn't love Bu's playpen bow, but it's not the deal breaker it once was.

Yeah, the budget has gone up a bit... I just wasn't loving anything I saw at that price point. As you can see, these boats are a bit newer than what I was looking at previously. Also, we realized that a 21.5' boat was just too tight for our garage. That narrowed the field a lot.

If you remember my previous post, I believe my criteria included minimum 98" beam. That hasn't really changed... this particular X-1 just caught my eye (90" beam notwithstanding). I'll get over it.

So... how many 20' long 98" beam boats do you know of?? There aren't many. Off the top of my head I can think of VTX and Pro V2. VTX only came out in 2007, so they are still expensive. I could get a BRAND NEW Pro V2 (loaded) for $32k, but I'm scared of the resale value and long-term viability of Calabria. Also, I hate the colors that are available (I've searched every dealer's inventory).

Upload
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-25-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
^^^ Gary -

I purposely left the price off. I want YOU GUYS to the tell me what you'd pay for them in this economy.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-25-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
If I had to pick I think I would go X-1 and pay no more than 35k

*Side note, 2009 Moomba Outback V's are 20ft and new for around 35k
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-25-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
If you're looking for more options, the '06+ MC X2 is 20'0" and has a 98" beam. Price wise you may be able to find a used one in the $40k range.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-25-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^Like this one?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/1007845739.html
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2009, 11:29 PM Reply   
That is one sharp, classy looking X1. If it were me, I would go that route.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-25-2009, 11:54 PM Reply   
I don't know a lot about the board racks on the MC's. Maybe they're adjustable, but the first time I rode in one in rough water a board flew off of the rack and nailed another rider in the head. That design just doesn't seem great to me. The boat owner now carries a bungee cord. Sad.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-26-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
tough decision for sure
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-26-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Here you go. 2007 VTX for 37k.

http://www.missionrvandmarine.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=3892154E-02X1K26K2009J10I16I20JAMQ4074R0&veh=42809&pov=1118 504
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Why is it that when someone asks about a comparison between two specific boats, everyone else throws in another boat outside of what the OP is actually asking about?

Sorry but the Calabria isn't even in the same league with either the VTX, or the X-1.

Like Chuck said above the MC tower moves a lot, and makes a lot of noise while moving. You can also fit more board racks on the VTX as well. Both boats have great wakes. On thing, if the VTX has has Zero Off cruise control....even more reason to get it. Zero Off has got to be the best cruise control out there. Bad ass.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
the OP posted the Calabria :-)
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
I have an 07 X1 with 50 hours (it stays parked at the lake unless we are using it to board - we take the party barge and jet skis out for cruising - thus the low hours). It is basically identical (options wise) to the one you are looking at. A dealer offered me $38K for a trade to a new X2 and I have a single axle. Of course, that does not mean much since they are not coming off the X2 very much. I would say anything less than $35K is a very good deal. I am in the south and we do not have a ton of wake boats on the water, not a lot of local dealers, not a lot of used ones for sale, and the economy is not terrible (not great either) so that effects the price. I love my boat but cannot compare it to the VTX.

On another note...I see where you said you loved the X1 tower speakers - I have the same setup but without lights. While they look very nice and sound fine, Wetsounds blows them out of the water and cost a lot less. Plan on spending another $1100+ (without lights or amp) to add another pair of JL's. In short, take the love for the speakers out of the decision process.

P.S. I cannot tell from the photo if the X1 has the tower braces. If you get it and it does not have the braces, get the current owner to get them (they are free) before you purchase.

(Message edited by bob_l on January 26, 2009)
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
edge in wake to x1, edge in everything else especially ride to the vtx. The x-1 will beat the crap out of you.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-26-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have a 06 X1 and I am thinking about selling it to get a boat with more room inside. Get the VTX, I would.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
the x1 has a much better wake then the x2 ,so IMo you would be better off with the x1 for less money and you already found one with the colors and options you want ..Personally ive only ridden a demo on and behind the vtx and didnt find it to be like its daddy the vlx or like the old vlx(vride).it lacked something but wasnt bad at all..

If its my choice id say x1..
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-26-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Personally I can't imagine either boat being comfortable for any extended period of time with 4 kids, 2 adults, and gear. I have an 07 x1 and feel cramped with just my wife, dog, gear and a cooler.

FWIW my garage is exactly 22' deep and my boat fits in with about an inch and a half on each end to spare.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-26-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Brian, yes, like that one... that was actually the one I had in mind.

BBR, he actually did ask what other boats fit his criteria and said he might have to stretch his budget... so I threw another one out there with the X2.

ixfe, good luck with your decision.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-26-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
My weekends usually consists of at least 2 kids and a few adults. Most of my friends have kids so at times its 3-5 kids and a few adults. I am not sure if anyone mentioned this but with that many people comes A LOT of gear. Bulky gear like lots of towels, toys and usually coolers. Most likely your kids are also going to bring a friend as well so consider that too. I feel cramped with this many people on my 22 ft boat, I wouldn't even want to imagine the X1.

I like the X1 as the wake but that's it. If you have more than 3 adults on there it becomes very cramped and certainly wouldn't recommend it with its low free board area and narrow beam.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on January 26, 2009)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-26-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
ixfe, if you would like me to go look at the VTX in Brett's post I would be happy to kick tires and take some pics. I could even try and give it a test ride!

Mission RV is 20 minutes from me (on the way to the lake). I will say they are not a Malibu dealer and are kinda douche bags, but its hard to mess up a 22 hour boat. Let me know.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-26-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
The solid tower arguement is pretty much pointless. We've had 5 Mastercrafts. Never a problem with any of the towers. Lights, NVS 1010s, extra racks, all kinds of weight, 2 riders at a time, pulling double up comps. They are solid.

BTW...I had extra racks on my X1 tower. You CAN certainly put extra racks on it.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
bryan lionel... nice find on the '06 X2. I hadn't seen that one. Must be new to the used market. We sat in an X-2 at the show a few weeks ago... CFO didn't like the interior that much. She thought it was too hard and edgy. She likes the softer, rounder Malibu interiors. With that said, she also likes the X-1 above due to color and tower. She's mixed on this too.

John Bauer... that is a scary story about the MC racks. I have little kids as you know. I don't want to even think about the possibility of a board hitting my 3 year old in the head.

Brett Yates... I am very familiar with that VTX for $37k. It was a repo boat from OR (notice the license stickers) the appeared at the auction a few weeks ago in Eugene, OR. I believe it sold to Mission RV and Marine for high $20's but it was missing the swim deck and the stereo had been ripped out. I looked at pics of it back then, and decided not to bid because I didn't like the Titan III or the colors, and for a boat with only 22 hours it looked pretty beat up. Mission bought it, promptly added stereo (can't tell if they put a swim deck on from the pics) and had it listed within a week for $37k. FWIW... Mission bought 5 boats at the auction that day. I always wondered why they has such great prices. Now I know... I bet most are repos.

BadBoyRipper... I posted the Calabria just so folks could see what else I'd looked at that meets size criteria of 20' long, 98" beam. It's brand new leftover for $32k, but much cheaper than the used VTX or X-1.

BadBoyRipper & BobL... The X-1 has the tower braces in place. When I asked about the salesman about the bad reviews I'd read about on the '07 tower, he specifically showed me the braces, then hung on the tower swinging his body back and forth, and side to side. Seemed pretty strong to me. My bigger tower concern is with the VTX. I am 5'11" and the Illusion X barely grazes my head as I walk under it... so I'll have to duck, which sucks.

Any more guesses on price before I reveal what I've been quoted??
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-26-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
The VTX I posted was a repo boat. The only thing I remember that the report said was wrong was the crank or water pump pulley was wobbling. That is something I would make sure and check if test driving. I think Mission paid somewhere in the 30-32k range for that boat and then added the tower speakers and racks. They may have also had to add the rest of the stereo. I bunch of that kind of stuff was taken off the boat before it was repoed.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-26-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
choosing the mastercraft seems to be looks over function.....which after the first month may not be worth it....cleaning black...not getting 4 racks....less room...less power etc.

If you want the boat that will give you the most pleasure other than looks its the Vtx. If you really want to wakeboard and your gonna get into it....the larger the engine the better....I am not sure if the vtx has wrap around seating , I think it does....but the x1 doesnt...which sucks.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
If you want a boat for the wake get the X1, if you want a boat for the comfort get the VTX, this is a pretty straightforward choice, I'd say let the CFO decide.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-26-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
I will guess 33K
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-26-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
$29.5K
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
fwiw, i own an 03 X-2 which is now the X-1 as i'm sure you know. i also have 3 young kids, 5, 2 and 8 months. i bought my boat used last april about a week before our 3rd was born. :-)

i had wanted an mc since i was a kid. it's our 2nd boat and it was definitely worth the wait. i had wanted either an 05 X-2 or an 06+ X-2. i just couldn't swing the 06+ X-2 with the 3rd little bugger on the way so i ended up settling a bit and picking up my current 03 X-2. the boat is awesome in most ways, but i can tell you that the X-1 will get small pretty quickly with 4 kids--especially if you plan on having other friends and family out for the day. that's not to say there isn't room, but it does get small pretty quickly. this may not be a big deal if you have other friends and family with boats. we do and it certainly helps--especially on road trips.

i was in the same situation as you as far as the garage is concerened. one thing i'd be sure to look at though on that vtx is to make sure you can get it in under your garage header. i may have missed the garage details above, but pretty sure the vtx sits a bit higher even with the tower folded than the X-1. my header is 7ft and my boat just fits. it also helps me that my driveway angles down towards the street.

as mentioned above, i wouldn't rule out the 06+ X-2's. there's been quite a few in the used market lately and some have come down into the 40's. that one listed above in yakima is owned by a good guy and i know he's taken really good care of it. i wouldn't let the 200 hours scare you away on that and the color scheme is pretty close to the X-1 you're looking at.

anyway, good luck with the purchase. you're definitely looking at the right time. the used market is pretty good right now it would seem.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Paul, TigeBell... I wish you were right. If you were, I probably wouldn't have even posted this thread. I'd already have one of them.

Both of these boats are at the local MC dealer. Both are recent trade-ins. Dealer told me to pick either one for $40k.

My Pick: I went back yesterday evening to look at them both. I think I agree with the majority of this thread... the VTX is a better buy for my situation. Let's face it... my crew probably won't be filling up any ballast for several years. But the extra storage, seating, and room to move around the cockpit will be valuable on day 1. Even when we do need ballast, I have to believe that the VTX with four tanks and a wedge will throw a great wake.

Price: At $40k I feel like the price is still a bit high given the lack of racks, tower speakers, and general state of the boat business. But he says this is his bottom line. I know there are plenty of VTX's one could point to on BoatTrader, Craigslist, etc. for over $40k. But they are the same boats that have been sitting there for 6+ months. In order to sell used boats now, you have to be aggressive. I guess I just don't want to be the only fool paying $40k for a used boat in this depressed environment.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
imo $40K is a fair price, probably a little high on the X-1 with RTP, but you're not getting screwed or anything imo. it's gotta' be a win win--especially if you're going to have it serviced there. good luck and let us know! :-)

go with your gut and let your wife be as much of the decision as possible. just remember if you end up passing on it, something better will always come along.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
i was going to say, you should have them throw in the racks on the bu, but it's an mc dealer. maybe you could at least negotiate that into the price? are the bu racks expensive? i would think they're not cheap.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Bruce Mac... I think the racks can be worked into that price... not sure if he means the MC swivel racks (which is what I'd want).

BTW... nice looking X-2. I have always loved the look of the X-Star/X-2/X-1 boats. But as you have read, I just think they are too small for me.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
Couple of nagging questions...

1) If I buy a Bu from an MC dealer, who services it? I know the guys at the Bu dealer, but fear they may not treat me well if I don't buy a boat from them. On the other hand, getting it serviced at MC dealer will feel strange, to say the least. I worry that this will leave me feeling like I have no dealer support.

2) The X-1 is listed as holding 11 people. The VTX is listed as holding 10 people. How can that be??? Seems obvious the VTX is bigger inside (see pics)

Upload
Upload
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
thanks ixfe. so far it's been awesome and i lucked out on the colors. i had always wanted black, but this would be my second choice. :-)

you're not going to get MC swivel racks on that illusion x tower as far as i know. they'd need to be bu branded racks and again, i'd find out how much they are.

as for the service that's a tough call, but it would definitely be something you'd want to talk to both dealers about i'd think.

as for the space, those are coast guard ratings and my guess it has to do with the weight of the stock ballast on the bu being more than the mc.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old     (bmromfo)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-26-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
I don't think you can go wrong on either boat. IMO the bu looks better, but that's me. I've ridden both and I'd say the wakes are comparable for most riders. My question, and it seems to be the question that a lot of people are asking is, what wake boats will fit in a standard 7ft tall garage? I had a supra launch without the swing-away tongue. It fit in my standard garage, but required minimum 2 people to get in and out (angled) and 30 mins to get in or out.

I am also looking at similar boats and I've heard that the x2 may be too tall? Would the VLX fit angled with a swing away tongue? I've found a great deal on a VLX, but I'm thinking I may have to go to the VTX due to length. Why doesn't anyone market these boats to the people that want to fit in the garage?
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-26-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
there both used right? I would think you would service at the bu dealer. There is no way that any dealer is expecting you to buy a used boat from only them.
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-26-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Mastercraft X1
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/638087.jpg

7 ft tall by 21 deep garage.

The moombas fit in there too if I'm not mistaken

this was in regards to the question about what other boats fit into the 7ft garage. The VTX and X1 are both sweet boats! Congrats on whatever you get!

(Message edited by wakereviews on January 26, 2009)
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
I ride behind my friends X1 most of the summer and its a good wake. Now i have rode behind a vlx a couple times and like the wake much better. I know its vtx not a vlx but i can not see the wake being that much different. Plus more room the better! the x1 gets crowded quickly.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
My garage stall is 22'4" deep and the door opening is 8' tall.

I'm confident both will fit (with tower down, platform removed, tongue swung back, and guide poles removed).
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
can't speak for the bu depth wise, but the X-1 would fit for sure and an 8ft header will get the bu in height wise. you may want to just double-check the overall length of that bu with the wedge. i know the boat is a half a foot shorter than the X-1, but you'll have the wedge sticking out some. you shouldn't have to mess with the guide poles if it's a 2 car garage.

(Message edited by brucemac on January 26, 2009)
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
The conversation isn't worth much as we all have our favorites and most will recommend the boat line they picked, buyer’s boat goggles. W/o demoing you'll never know which boat will serve you adequately. I know a ’08 VTX moderately accommodated w/ the basics could be had for ~45k a few months ago from said dealer that was in trouble. I prefer the two hatch system and love both warming trays. It looks like the bow section of the MC is slightly larger on the pictures post above.

Garage fit is also heavily dependant on the trailer as well.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
I have measured both boats on the trailer with my own tape measure laid on the ground underneath. They are both 20' 10"

Even still, I'd probably have the boat of my choice towed to my house to do a test fit before signing away my life.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-26-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Both boats are great.... hands down.. X-1 being a little more friendly for skiing if you are every going to..

Otherwise it's looks and YOUR opinion on the drive, handling etc with a Test drive!
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-26-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
i dont know if this has been asked or not, but is the vtx on a wake or diamond hull?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-26-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
If you get the VTX, I want a pull. I can return the favor with my 05 X2! PSBC is my service dealer and they always do a great job. I would think they would take good care of your BU, too:-) I have also heard Active has a good service department.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2009, 11:45 PM Reply   
malibu... I don't know if it's a wake or diamond hull. How can I tell by looking at it?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-27-2009, 5:33 AM Reply   
Look at back of hull

wake hull will be flat

diamond will have a slight angle at the edges

I am sure someone has some pics.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
40k is a too high for mc. That price is good for the malibu. My opinion is that the x1 is not even in the ball park of the vtx. If you could drive them both you would see. Of course you can tell alot just by looking them over. A better comparison would be x2 to vtx.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-27-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
The first picture is of the wake hull and the second is the diamond hull. The diamond hull uses a reverse chine on the bottom outside portion of the hull, providing the extra lift.

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by malibudude on January 27, 2009)
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-27-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
add the tower braces to the X1... should be able to get those free at a dealer... and roll w/ the x1... a MC won't let you down... i know both boats are going to be great boats for you but i'll own nothing but a MC... yes this is a biased opinion
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-27-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
you do not need tower braces.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-27-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
The Pro-V 2 goes for $32k? That's an awesome price. A slammed Pro-V is one of my favorite.
Old     (tx03gt)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-27-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
Go with the tower braces if your getting them for free. We cracked my buddy's x-star tower last season due to lack of braces. Granted he has 4 Wet Sound 80's helping out w/ the flex.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-27-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
Lots of comments... I did not read them all but here is one thing I know that you might be concerned about.

I know a guy with an X-1 and his tower folder down prevents him from opening his rear storage compartments. Whats this means is... you either A. have to put the boat away with damp storage areas which is never a good idea... or B. keep it outside with them open before putting it in the garage. this may not sound that important, but for me, the hassle of not being able to get in those compartments when in the garage would be a pain in the arse!
-Uj
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-27-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Uncle Jessie, it's a simple fix when you hang the tower from the ceiling in the garage.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-27-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Bryan,

good idea if you can rig that in your garage. I will pass that along to the guy I know.

-Uj
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-27-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
Uncle Jessie... Score another point for the VTX! I can see how that would be a BIG limitation.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
With 4 kids, I would think the extra room and storage in the 'Bu would make the decision a no brainer. Then again, I am a bit biased because my ex-CFO helped pick out my boat and I ended up in a Bu myself.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-27-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Sounds like the VTX will better suit your needs. There is so much room in the VTX. I downsized from a VLX to a VTX with no regrets. The VTX handles so nice--your wife will love driving.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-27-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Uncle,

Tell him it takes 2 minutes to put a bike rack hook into a stud in the ceiling, use a link from a ski/wakeboard/surf rope to attach the tower to the hook! Keeps the tower off the vinyl, too. There are other reasons to choose the BU over the MC or visa versa. This one seems laughable to me.

(Message edited by lionel on January 27, 2009)
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-27-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
Bryan,

When I heard this guy tell me he had to wait a few hours to let his boat dry out...I didn't think that was laughable... That would suck!

I hear you tho on your work around. This guy never thought of that. I am going to pass it on for sure.

Here is an added point to consider. When dealing with preping your boat to go in and out of a garage, ANY extra time is a pain in the a$$. Trust me I know. My boat fits with exactly 1/2 inch to spare. If my boat is not hard up against the crash pads, it wont fit, and I gotta pull it back out and jam the brakes to slide it forward, then back it in again. I gotta remember to ALWAYS check this or I'm wasting about 10 minutes. I also have to take the platform off, both trailer guide pipes, take down the tower, un-bolt 2 of 4 board racks, remember to the flip the walk thru winshield down, etc etc... so adding just one more thing is a pain the a$$. If I forget one of those things, I'm doing stucco repair and vacuuming stucco dust out of my for a few hours.

My point is this. Sometimes the people who sell boats don't actually know a whole lot about boat "ownership"... Having the tower rest on the 2 biggest storage areas on the boat is not ideal and requires the work around like you suggest. I know for fact that I would at least once forget to un-do the rope... and what a mess that would create... LOL...

There are sooo many things to consider when buying a boat. What is important to me my not be to you. If this guy can't rig up a rope like you said, that "feature" of the tower would not be laughable. For me, considering my boat goes in and out at least once a week for about 9 months of the year, that "feature" would be be just one more thing I have to do and I would bitch about it every time, like I do about the other 5 or 6 things!!!

Damn.. I need a new garage!!

just my 2 cent rant. can you tell I am bored...

-Uj
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-27-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
UncleJessie... I will have a tight squeeze in my garage, so this X-1 revelation is very helpful. To be honest, the attraction to the X-1 was emotional for me, not logical.

I am now weighing this '07 VTX against a new '08 VTX leftover.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-27-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
ixfe... what direction does the vtx tower fold...make sure you don't have the same problem!!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-27-2009, 10:22 PM Reply   
^^^ The Illusion X folds forward.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-28-2009, 12:17 AM Reply   
nautique guy here but that particular X1 looks amazing.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-28-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
As a dealer we have no issues working on a brand other than we sell. We actually look at it as a win for us, you may not have bought our boat but you choose to do business with us anyhow. I can't imagine your dealer would be much different esspecially in this economy.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-28-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
The Cal Pro-VII is where I would be headed if it is truly loaded. The pic you posted doesn't show the typical ornaments hanging from the towers of a loaded boat though. I would never give up $8K to get in the color I want. I also wouldn't sweat depreciation on a new $32K boat. Try to find ANY 5 y.o. v-drive for under $25K, even with this economy it is nearly impossible.

The $40K for either the BU or X1 sound high to me, especially if one has a shady pedigree (repo).