Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-01-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
What impressive performances in your respective bowls today. Someone try to convince me again how strong the Big Ten conference really is.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-01-2011, 5:21 PM Reply   
And down goes Wizzconsin. big ten 0-5 today in bowl games.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-01-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
Michigan St game was really sad to watch. I'm thankful didn't have to pay for the tickets! Business function every year - so I have no loyalties to either team.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-01-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
Well I was wrong. I thought the Big 10 was legit, possibly the best conference this year. Sure didnt look like it today...although the SEC had a pretty weak showing until Bama today. The ACC has been making me proud so far though, hopefully VT can close out a good bowl showing for the ACC
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-01-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
hey, don't forget iowa won their bowl game a few days ago!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-01-2011, 8:04 PM Reply   
The Big 10 is doing exactly how I thought they would. The Big 10 is the biggest fraud I have ever seen. They are living strictly off of history. Most of their teams played 4 patsy OOC games to inflate their records. They have almost zero quality OOC wins all year. Their best wins are 2 wins vs a very mediocre ND, a very mediore Miami, a lower level PAC10 team in ASU(ASU should or could of won and the game was in Wisconsin) and a win by Michigan against a mediocre UCONN team that was playing terrible at the beginning of the season. Every one of those games were at home except the Michigan/ND game.

The SEC and Big 12 weren't much better in the amount of quality OOC wins. Again they have an artificially high number of wins. The PAC10 is the only conference that continuely schedules tough OOC opponents and it completely killed the number of teams they have bowl eligible allong with the USC sanctions. The PAC10 also plays only 3 OOC games and 9 in conference games. That right there makes their schedules tougher then any other conferences. The rankings and/or BCS need to quit rewarding teams that schedule a bunch of cupcakes. The PAC10 would of gotten 6 to 8 out of 10 teams into bowls if they played 4 OOC games and scheduled like the Big10, Big12 and SEC do.

In my completely bias opinion The Pac10 is the second best conference in the country this year and in general behind the SEC. The Big12 is a close 3rd and the ACC as a whole might actually be better then the Big 10. The Big East is absolutely terrible and is a borderline BCS conference. The MWC is better then the Big East.

Last edited by polarbill; 01-01-2011 at 8:06 PM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-02-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
Plus, don't forget newest member, Nebraska, got manhandled by UW.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-02-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
"They are living strictly off of history"
yap, have you heard of Oregon? pretty much the same guys that the Ohio State University BEAT last year, which are in the National Chamionship game this year.
here's a website where you can buy a video from the 2010 rose bowl where the best team of the big 10 beat the best of the PAC 10, LAST year
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vie...CLID=204864953
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-02-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
"They are living strictly off of history"
yap, have you heard of Oregon? pretty much the same guys that the Ohio State University BEAT last year, which are in the National Chamionship game this year.
here's a website where you can buy a video from the 2010 rose bowl where the best team of the big 10 beat the best of the PAC 10, LAST year
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vie...CLID=204864953
Good for you. You found one game to try and make your point. In the last 5 bowl seasons the Big 10/11/12(they still can't add) has had 10 teams in BCS bowls including the NC game. Because of their phony records they get 2 teams in every year. Guess how they have done in the last 5 years in those games. They are 2-7 with the tOSU/Arkansas game to come. That tells me that overall they are an overrated conference.

In comparison the PAC10 usually only gets 1 team in a year but are 3-1 in the last 5 years with 2 games to come this year. Even if they lose both they are still .500. If they scheduled a bunch of pansies OOC every year they could get an average of almost 2 a year into BCS games and lose most of their games.

The SEC is 7-1 with 2 more games this year, the Big12 is 3-4, the Big East is 2-3, the ACC is 1-3 with one game left this season.

Those results tell us that the SEC is by far the best conference, the PAC10 is stand alone 2nd best, the Big12 and Big East are pretty close(Big East is terrible this year) and the ACC and Big 10 are close to tied in the 5th or 6th position. It also shows that the Big 10 is by far the most overrated conference in the country and has zero business getting 2 teams in BCS bowls every year.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-02-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
Dang Brett.

Let’s talk first, ... about boat reviews. Your boat reviews. You can and do write some of the most tactful, useful, historically-informed boat reviews on about any brand and model your challenged to do so.

Whenever I see someone ask the forum how to compare x, y and z:-- (and if I know about, say, z only) I always admire and have no reason to contradict you when I see your measured comparisons and contrasts of the group, and your humility that all is subjective.

But then ... a switch flips.

The input signal is, Big 10, Big 10, Big 10 ...

Stimulus to you ... “Big 10”... reaction = berserk.

why so nuts against Upper Midwest universities?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-02-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
Jonathan, it probably has to do more with the peole that rank teams and how the bcs awards people points. The Big 10 may be smart as they get the most teams in BCS bowl games besides the SEC. They figured out that if you are a historically powerful conference you can play cupcake OOC schedules at home and the voters/BCS will reward you with a higher rankings then a team who has one loss but played a much tougher OOC schedule. They also went to 8 game in conference schedules so they don't have to risk cannibalizing one of there own and instead can schedule another "Sister of the Poor" as the tOSU president would say. Then these overrated teams go to BCS bowls and lose. By doing what the Big 10 teams do it destroys some great interconference rivalries. Unfortunately it seems to becoming the norm as most of the SEC and Big 12 seem to be doing the same. At least the SEC backs it up in bowl games.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-03-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
It seems like the Big 10 gets exposed every bowl season but people just keep on believing they are a legit power conference. I hope Arkansas beats OSU by 50 to complete the cycle.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-04-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Although I don't think a win by tOSU proves much, a loss will really hurt the Big10. The Big10 cannot continue with living off history. They are going to have to start proving themselves in OOC or no one is going to take them seriously anymore.

In other news. Stanford abosolutely crapped on VT last night. That makes the PAC10 10-5 in BCS bowls. The Big10 is under .500 but played in 22 and the Big 12 is under .500 as well. Not surprising but the SEC is 14-5 with 2 games left this season.
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       01-04-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
I have a feeling Brett was denied entry to big ten schools and had to settle for college in the Pac Ten.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
^^Name a school in the Big Ten that is more academically prestigious than Stanford.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-04-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
nice try Ryan. although I am not as emotionally invested in this as Brett seems to be, he is right on with what he is saying. too bad Stanford is losing their coach and qb this year. they would of had a good shot at the "national championship" next year.
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       01-04-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Northwestern
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-04-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
stanford #5
northwestern #12
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-04-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinsell View Post
Northwestern
I didn't even apply to any big 10 schools and I didn't attend any schools in the PAC10. I would have never even thought for a second to go to school in the Mid West.

Academics has absolutely nothing to do with what I have been saying this whole thread. We are talking about sports.

Like Joe said, Stanford is ranked ahead of NW.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ties-rankings/

Last edited by polarbill; 01-04-2011 at 2:40 PM.
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       01-04-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Its hard to argue that one conf is better than the other when we take a look at all of the powerhouses over the past years. Just a few:
-USC
-Oklahoma
-Miami
-Ohio State
-Alabama
-Notre Dame

To me it seems like someone else five years down the road is going to be pushing the same arguement Brett is having only with another conference.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
^No mention of LSU and Florida? Kind of weird considering UF has won 3 N.C. since Notre Dame won their last.
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       01-04-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to spark an arguement of who should be in my powerhouse list, just showing that great teams have come from several conferences
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2011, 4:05 PM Reply   
50% of the N.C. since the BCS began in 1998, came from the SEC, including the past 4. I think it is pretty safe to say that SEC has been dominating as of late.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-04-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
SEC! SEC! SEC!

why is it that most people root for their school/team, but people that went to/root for a school in the sec, root for the conference? you don't see people screamin' big 10, big 12, acc, pac10, etc.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-04-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
"50% of the N.C. since the BCS began in 1998, came from the SEC"

curious to know how many were split or at the very least controversial during this time period. I am too lazy to look them up myself.

and ND does NOT belong on that list.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-04-2011, 4:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
and ND does NOT belong on that list.
why not? their schedule's almost as tough as tOSU's.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-04-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
because I dont think of ND as a powerhouse program, and I have not thought that for years.
granted, after I re-read his comments he said "over the years" and I initally thought he was talking about the last 5 years or so.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-04-2011, 4:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
why not? their schedule's almost as tough as tOSU's.
ND hasn't really been relevant for 15-20 years. At least not the way they were before.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-04-2011, 4:31 PM Reply   
i guess i should've inserted [sarcasm][/sarcasm].
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
Honestly, I have loyalty to only one SEC team, Tennessee. I was glad to see UGA lose to UCF in their bowl game a few days ago. I honestly can't stand Alabama and my hatred for Florida is almost as bad. But nothing compared to the a-holes from the Big Ten, and not even the whole conference, I am speaking of the fans of OSU, Michigan, and Penn State (Wisconsin is almost on that list, give um a couple more seasons).

I may seem like an SEC homer, but imagine if the Big 10 went 5-0 this year on New Years, or if they had won the last four N.C....we'd be ready to nuke Ohio and Michigan from all the gloating.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-04-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
Dang, tOSU is taking the Razorbacks out to the woodshed.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-04-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Dang, tOSU is taking the Razorbacks out to the woodshed.
what does that say about the sec? they're overrated that they can't even beat the overrated state university?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-04-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
what a weird game. tOSU has that crazy play where Pryor fumbles and then it is basically in the arkansas guys hands but somehow tOSU guy ends up with it in the endzone. Arkansas really killed themselves with dropped passes. That was a bad decision by Mallett at the end but when you are down to the last minute with the pressure tOSU was putting on him sometimes you force stuff.

Even though they tried to give the game away in the second half good win by tOSU. You redeem some credibility tonight.