Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       07-10-2009, 6:11 AM Reply   
So - I'm posting this here, as I rather not have anyone else experience down time on their boat in the middle of July....

Lost my fuel pump this past Saturday right around Noon - awesome time, given the 80 degree day - and Holiday weekend.... So mechanic came, looked at it, and yes it is a fuel pump. Never used the boat less than 1/4 tank... but don't know when the last time I changed my fuel filter? Possible cause - blocked fuel filter - causing the pump to burn up.

Apparently - MC - has extended the warranty of this pump to 3 years if you are the original owner - (unfortunatly I am not) - - but this has been a pretty common problem with this model year....

So - the question is to everyone - when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? I know I'll be changing mine every year when I winterize, as it's a simple $20 maintenance item.

The kicker - pump is $500 - and I can't find one in the state of Minnesota at the moment, so still trying to round one up.

Wish me luck as I try to dig up a fuel pump for a dead X1 sitting in my garage.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-10-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Tim.

I Finally replaced the fuel filter on my X2 this past Wed. It was pretty filthy. It took about 45 mins but I was using a a regular allen wrench. If you had one that would fit a drill that would cut the time in half I think. Getting that filter off is a bit of a pain, especially if you are doing it your self. If the tank is down to 1/4 full I would think it would be a little easier as the pump holds quite a bit of fuel.
Old     (noel_peterson)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-10-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Tim- I replaced my fuel pump in my 02 x-star last year. If you take just the pump out of the entire assembly to a auto parts store they can cross reference it to different brands. I was able to buy the same brand,(Carter) but as long as the pressure and gpm are the same there shouldn't be any problems. I also replaced the flex tubing inside because mine had some pretty serious kinks in it. Cost of just the pump was under $100.Don't trust somebody over the phone, take the pump with you so you get the identical one. There are hundreds of pumps that look the same so read the specs from the parts book. It took some time at the parts store, but I saved $400.Hoped this helped.
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       07-10-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
yeah - there are tons of posts on this topic on the Mastercraft forum -

ACDelco ep356
Advance Auto Parts E2044

I'm picking mine up today during lunch and should be able to get her in this weekend.... wish me luck.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-10-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Where is the Fuel filter. I have a 1999 X-star, and havent seen one.
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       07-10-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I believe in 99 - MC started putting them inside the fuel tank.... it might be worth calling your local shop and picking one up.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Our pump on our 06 X1 went out a few weeks ago. Just replaced it ourselves. Boy was it a pain getting those holes to line up properly...
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       07-10-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Did you use the Mastercraft pump direct - or did you use another one?

yeah - I pulled out the assembly out the other day to replace the filter, and yes - those 12 screw are a hassle...

mmm... another x1 with the issue - go figure...
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-10-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
I just replaced my fuel pump in my 06 X-Star this week. Couldn't get one anywhere near Nebraska, so I had to ship one in from TX. It wasn't that tough of a job. Just make sure you have the tool to disconnect the fuel line from the pump.

I wish I would have known that I could take the pump into an auto parts store and paid $400 less. I guess that is a lesson learned. Thanks to WakeWorld I will not make that mistake again!
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-10-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
Tim,

Sorry to hear the X1 let you down. For what it is worth I never ran the boat much less than half a tank and never to 1/4 of a tank due to this known issue with Mastercraft. Good luck with getting it back on the water.

Kevin
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
my fuel pump went out in my 05 x2 last year, it only had 200hrs on it, the tank never went below 1/4. Mastercraft of AZ would not sell me the pump because "its a safety issue and we cant sell pumps".
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Tim- we bought the whole assembly from our dealer. And I second boardcrazy, you don't need many tools but make sure you have the tool to get the fuel line clipped off the pump.

Seems like an extremely common problem with old X2's/X1's with about 2-300 hours on them. Ours had about 300 when it failed.

Oh and just a headsup, the way they design the fuel tank/guage, when it reads 1/4 full, your really pushing it close to empty...

(Message edited by wakeslife on July 10, 2009)
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-10-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Steve, mastercraft of AZ is good for just about nothing. Not suprised at that. They put the COR in Corporate.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
E10 gas is really taking a toll on all boats. I'm not saying thats the reason for failure but it is causing all sorts of fuel related problems in boats.
Now the Gov is talking about going to E15 gas. If they do that we are all in for troubled times.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-11-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Billy, I agree. Then the boat industry needs to change with the ridiculous government regs. Don't you think? How difficult is it to create a marine engine that is Ethanol compatible? If they are just GM based engines, then they should be able to make an ethanol marine based engine I would think. Just like the Flex Fuel engine in my Avalanche. Or, am I way off base? This ethanol stuff is not going away folks, for a while at least.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-11-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
AMO- most new[er] engines should be fine with E10, but a couple of big problems with ethanol in boats is 1)apparently some gas tanks will be eaten by the alcohol and 2)unlike a car, a boat's fuel system is open- there's a vent to the gas tank this means the alcohol can attract water, which means NOT GOOD.

If you're careful, you can probably get away with e10, but I wouldn't while we can get straight gasoline still (in Iowa, ironically enough).

If they mandate "flex fuel" someday I'm going to marine diesel if possible. More torque, less things to go wrong, imo.

EDIT: clarification

(Message edited by pwningjr on July 11, 2009)
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-12-2009, 4:45 AM Reply   
Haven't found any straight gas here in MN, and I'm not sure if the marinas on the lakes in AZ serve up straight gas or not either.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
I believe if you buy the premium fuel in MN it is ethanol free.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-13-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Tim, post back on how the repair went when you are done. Also post part number on the pump you ended up using. Would like that for future reference....all though I'm hoping I don't need it.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-14-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
well well...02 PS 209 with LTR 330hp never run teh boat under 1/4 never abuse it or even run it hard...Mine went a couple years ago around 200 hrs...then again last year @ 400 then again this year @ 455 then again @ 456...turns out the connectors...had some issues and were showing wear, inconsistant voltage to the pump..fried the motor...so after teh brand new installed pump went after 10mins..I took it to another mechanic...he diagnosed...low voltage...so I had my mechanic rewire everything from the block back...he mentioned that he had no idea why there were so many connectors in the wire to power the pump..regardless...I was down for 5 weeks...2 pumps sent up from tennessee and now she's running strong...no comment in regards to my dealers "rep" that installed the last 2 pumps that failed due to connection issues...
fingers crossed that she's all good...wife is not impressed..wants me to sell it and buy an new boat as she's not sold on the reliability of it now......so there's always an upside maybe I get a new toy out of it all!