Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-09-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Well, my swim platform had always been loose, ie it knocked in the bracket slightly, and I hadn't payed too much attention to it. So after towing a couple hours to the lake it felt a little more loose than usual but again, didn't think too much of it. Until my wife pointed out the 1/4" gap between the top of the bracket and the stern.

The upper three screws had stripped out the holes. Thank god the bottom two were solid. I could have lost the damn thing driving down the freeway. Take the platform off for the ride home and pull the bracket off, it starts pissing water out of the lower two holes, that isn't good either.

I know the lower two holes are holding the screws and might just be open to the bilge, hence the water. I can't get to the backside of the middle upper screw and of course the upper two line up perfectly with the floorboard of the storage locker.

I would love some suggestions. Cut out the floorboard and bolt through, fill holes with epoxy resin and redrill, maybe sell and find a cheaper hobby?

Platformless in OK,
D

btw, 05 Supra 21V

Upload
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-09-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
Two thoughts after posting-

1- We haven't missed out on any riding because our local lake is closed due to flooding. No big rush to fix it.

2- This wasn't something I checked before launching each time. I usually check tower bolts, oil, battery charge, blower, bilge, belt etc. But now I wonder what else am I missing?
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-09-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
Since you're not in a hurry, i would fix it right the 1st time instead of just patching it up. IMO the platform brackets should be through bolted with an aluminum plate on the inside to distribute the load.

Are you saying the only thing attaching the brackets to the transom are self tapping wood screws?!? If so, thats pretty shoddy construction on the part of the mfr. IMO. Before the Supra guys attack me for saying this, please note my profile that I myself have a Supra, albeit an older one.

(Message edited by dkjbama92mariah on July 09, 2007)
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-09-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
Yep, self tapping wood screws. The two upper screws had been ground off so they wouldn't tear up the floor of the locker.

In order to put a plate in I would have to cut out a section of the floor in the locker...
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-09-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
I's say do it; aesthetics be damned. Otherwise, you'll end up having to come back and do it again in 3-5 years. Also. when those screws pull out, it exposes the core of your transom to water... not good.

You might fill the old holes with some sort of epoxy and drill new holes for the throughbolts.

Or you could use the existing holes and custom make an aluminum backing plate with that bolt pattern.

(Message edited by dkjbama92mariah on July 09, 2007)
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-09-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
And of course dont forget to seal everything back up with plenty 5200
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
Doug is it under warranty?
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-09-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
Carriage bolt that bad boy if it is teak, if fiberglass i recommend JB weld.
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-10-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
I have a supra 05 21v as well and my platform is super loose. When just parked in the water I can feel it shake the whole boat when bobbing in the water. I’ve used felt in the past to try and fill the gaps but now I wonder if it is the screws.

Anyone else have a loose platform?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-10-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Very common way to mount the brackets is using lag screws. Eventually they strip too. The holes need to be throughly dried, and the damage repaired with an epoxy resin.

Is there no way to reach around the locker? Big washers and some nuts is all you would really need on the inside.