Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-08-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
My 06 VLX this past weekend started running like a dog. Even with no ballast and only 7 people it took almost a minute to come up on plane? The prop is new and has no damage, while I'd like to blame the prop I don't think thats it. I replaced the prop with the same exact prop. One thing i did notice is the idle seems a tad rougher at times and I can smell raw gas in the exhaust? Any ideas? The shop can't look at it for 2 weeks!
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-08-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
Robert,

If you give me a call at 408 451 9596 we will see if we can help identify the issue you have.

Bill
Topside Marine
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-08-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Bill
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-08-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
had the same prob recently with a new 236, could smell gas, boat had half the power, culprit was 2 bad spark plugs, unburned gas in the cylinder was giving the gas smell.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-08-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
Could be a cracked plug.....or it could be some chicks top stuck in the air cleaner.....I'm jus sayin.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-08-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Have the plugs ever been changed? If not, throw in a new set yourself.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-08-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
My Supra has been doing the same thing. The power is still good, but I smell gas in the exhaust and it just doesn't sound like it used to. I've got 325 hours on it and have never changed the plugs or fuel filter. I picked up both today and will install them this weekend. I'm hoping this will do the trick.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-08-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Good idea guys, I haven't touched the motor other then oil changes. Guess it can't hurt and being i have two weeks before any shop can look at it it'll give me a chance to try something on the cheap!

I did find a top but it was hanging from the tower after the 4th! I'm jus sayin. lol

By the way I have like 300 hours on this motor, don't ask this is the third motor! lol But I haven't done anything except change oil and add gas and beer! Anything else i should service while i'm doing the plugs and fuel filter?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-08-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
Change the impellar also. I'm willing to bet it will run like a top once you change the plugs and fuel filter. Go with the NGK plugs for the monsoon they burn a little hotter and it will run like a top.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-09-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
um yea... fuel filter
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-09-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Nu Bu do you know the part number for thoose NGK plugs?
Old     (lilsumo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
Anyone competent auto parts store can cross reference the plug number from the one you got to any other brand of plug.
If they can't, just post what plug you have got and I can cross ref it for you to any brand.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-09-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
Robert your not alone, had a similar problem this past monday. No weight, but a few people (nothing out of ordinary) took for ever to get on plane. Made a popping noise somewhat like a backfire during acceleration. Once it was up on plane she ran great, maybe lost 2 to 3 MPH top speed. I've been told bad gas, bad plug.... Trying the plugs this weekend, current plugs have 250 hours on them, not sure if that's alot or not for the stock plugs.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Robert here you go.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=765
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I had an issue with mine running rich last year and I couldn't figure out the culprit. It ran okay initially, but then it would start surging and had power issues. It turned out to be a bad fuel pressure regulator. I had taken it to the dealer and on day one, I asked them to check the fuel pressure at the rail amongst other things that I thought it might be, but the dealer went through his checklist of things that he thought was wrong first before he finally checked the pressure at the rail and found out that the regulator was bad.
Check the above things mentioned as they are far more common and likely, but if that doesn't do it, check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-09-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
The stock plugs for my Indmar 320 EFI 5.7 liter were AC Delco 41-932. Apaparently these plugs have been replaced by AC Delco 41-993. So I search for them and find them at O'Reilly's for $5.99 each (some places on the web had them as high as $15 each). However, the fuel filter I need is over at Napa Autoparts.

I go to Napa first to get the fuel filter and it turns out that they have the plugs I need in stock. I ask how much they are and they're almost $8 each! I tell them that O'Reilly has then for $6 and ask if they will price match. They said nope, we do not price match. WTF?

Next door to Napa is an AC Delco auto parts store. I go in there and the best they will do is $7 per plug. Again WTF???? Why would these people rather have no sale at all rather than a sale at a bit less than their regular price? O'Reilly was about 3 miles away, but to save $16-$32 I was more than happy to go 2 minutes out of my way.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-09-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Our VLX has had/having the same issues. 06 as well.

We had the fuel pump replaced last year and it ran fine the rest of the summer. Same thing happened about 3 weeks into the summer this year, new fuel pump (on warranty again) and it ran fine. It's starting to do it again though. Replacing the filter this week, see what happens.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-10-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
bump... still happening. The malibu shop couldn't figure it out last year so they basically just gave us the new fuel pump.

How often do you guys change the filters? We took it out and it blew through easy???
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-10-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
I haven't had a chance to throw the new plugs and filter in yet but well this weekend and take it to anderson on tuesday and see if I got rid of that gremlin! I'll let you know what I find.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
This thread motivated me to throw a tune up on my rig this weekend. Cap and rotor and a new set of platinums! Idles much smoother, comes out of the hole stronger - along with a freshly reworked prop I put put on a couple fo weeks ago, it was like driving a new boat :-D
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-20-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
So finally got around to throwing new plugs in the boat and also replaced the fuel filter.

The filter seemed like it may have been a little plugged as air didn't blow as freely threw it as it did threw the new one.

The plugs were all a light shade of brown, they actually looked fine to me but I'm no pro at judging that. One question though. I did notice that all the plugs seemed to have a little bit of oil around the threads and two plugs seemed to have twice as much oil around the plug threads? Is this normal or should it be a sign for concern? Thanks!

P.S. Get to water test it tommorrow on the Dirty D, well let you know how she performed!
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-21-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Robert, I changed out my plugs last weekend, all have a brown tint on the ceramic, but only one had any oil, it was cylinder #6. I also added a bottle of injector cleaner and a full tank of premium gas. Boat ran great after that.... Good luck and enjoy your day.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Dan, I checked out your profile my buddy has an 02 SANTE exactly the same but black tower and he too rides an 06 fish 137 though. Kinda funny. He's pushing 900 hours, u?

(Message edited by hate&pain on July 21, 2009)
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
Oil on the threads is pretty normal. If you don;t see it on the electrode area I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Hate - I am closing in on 800 hrs on my rig. 650 since I bought it just under 3 yrs ago. I put the Fish away this year and switched to an 08 140 Shane. It is a little less forgiving, but pops great. I threw a pair of 08 Cab's on it and have been really happy with the set-up.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
I have another buddy that rides that 140 Shane its a damn nice board. I rode it but it was a little small for me I do the Fish 137 too.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-22-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
9 people, full ballast, and wedge, and she jumped out of the hole!

Wahoo! She's back to normal!

Thanks for the help guys, not sure if it was the plugs or fuel filter but she's running great now! Spent all day riding on the Dirty D and what a differance!