Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-27-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
If and you've read my other post about my subwoofer issues in my boat this season...you can tell I'm pretty fed up with dealing with tweaking my stereo. Last year I had an awesome sounding system with great bass and this year...same equipment new boat...sounds like garbage. I'm considering picking up a 13w7 off a friend but I wanted to hear what people thought about their output? Is a single sealed 13w7 with 1000w enough to keep up with well powered xs650'S and 4 rev 8's? I dont have the space to port it so I have to go sealed. The reason why I pick the w7 is the availability, sound quality and build quality from JL. But I want it to at least keep up without turning the rest way down!
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-27-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
Before somebody says to just borrow it and try it out...he's a ways away and not good enough of a friend to let me borrow it, build a box, and try it out for a bit.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-27-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
What is the brand/model of amplifier?
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-27-2014, 9:07 PM Reply   
Im gonna buy a new one of those too. Probably a jl 1000/1. I like that it provides max output at various volts and ohms. But I'm open to suggestions.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-27-2014, 9:30 PM Reply   
Yes it will be plenty. I have an arc1200.1 I'm selling cheap if you need an amp
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-27-2014, 10:50 PM Reply   
I had also considered a sealed 12 or 13w6 with a hd750 or equivalent if I didnt get the w7...but im guessing that would be significantly less output than a 13w7.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2014, 5:56 AM Reply   
they don't make the 1000/1 anymore, now it's a 1200/1.

I run it on my 12w7 and it's pretty awesome but I'm not sure it would be enough power for a 13w7
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-28-2014, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakesounds View Post
If and you've read my other post about my subwoofer issues in my boat this season...you can tell I'm pretty fed up with dealing with tweaking my stereo. Last year I had an awesome sounding system with great bass and this year...same equipment new boat...sounds like garbage. I'm considering picking up a 13w7 off a friend but I wanted to hear what people thought about their output? Is a single sealed 13w7 with 1000w enough to keep up with well powered xs650'S and 4 rev 8's? I dont have the space to port it so I have to go sealed. The reason why I pick the w7 is the availability, sound quality and build quality from JL. But I want it to at least keep up without turning the rest way down!
The JL Audio 13W7 is THE reference sub. One of the W7 benefits is the added 'under control' excursion. But you do not get extra excursion and the required control without lots of extra power. At 40 Hz a woofer in transition is incurring over 90 'G's of force. That is a lot of mass and inertia to control. IMO, you want to get as close as possible to the 1500 watt thermal rating in an open field environment. The JL Audio Slash 1200/1v3 would be the perfect choice (rather than the HD1200/1). Or, you could run twin HD750/1s, with one per each voice coil. When you add in the 1" baffle and the recommended internal bracing, the 13W7 sealed enclosure will be over 2.8 cu.ft. external displacement....if you have the space.
Btw, the Arc 1200.1 would not be enough power to properly drive a 13W7 in an open towboat as it would be under 800 watts into a 3-ohm load with a 12.5 volt supply.
The 13" W6 is disco. You could build a bass-reflex enclosure for the new 12W6 within the same external displacement as a sealed 13W7 and drive the 12W6 with an HD750/1. Not the same beast as the 13W7 but a competitive output for less cost.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-28-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
Did you check the polarity on the speaker wiring amps to speakers?... ( Pos and negs).. if not correct it will sound like ****..
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-28-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
I have tried literally every thing I can possibly think of with it! Ive tried different signal sources, wiring, enclosures etc. I think maybe its a combination of things and inefficient subs in open air. Either way...I have finally threw in the towell on that setup. So...on to the next!

David, are their major differences between the versions of subs and amps (ie...v2/v3's). I see some places still list the old versions discounted for sale but if there is a significant difference obviously its not worth the savings.
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-28-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
I have a ported 13w7 powered by a 1200/1...hands down it is awesome. To me it is more about how the whole system ties together and the musical accuracy of all the pieces. I love JL products and when properly executed they are tough to beat. Have lots of battery power though, big systems are thirsty!
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       08-12-2014, 6:16 PM Reply   
WLF- what size ported enclosure do you have it in? What frequency is your port tuned at?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-12-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
Ryan I have a ported 13w7 in my boat and it pounds. The first amp I had running it about 7 years ago was a JL amp an it didn't cut it. I know JL has made improvements, but I switched over to an ARC SE2300 awhile ago so I'm not sure on the new stuff. I've had it in both sealed and ported, facing back and sideways, and to me back ported sounds and feels the best. This SE2300 was programmed buy ARC audio to be stable and push 1300 watts to sub.

This is the correct sized ported enclosure JL calls for and tuned to low 30's Hz i believe, but don't quote me on the tune though.