Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-10-2013, 9:22 PM Reply   
Lol at J.B.'s answer to "what is the local wake scene like?"

.. A lot of the older guys seem to be disappearing and all the youngsters are getting into tubing and wakesurfing since they both require almost no skill to do....

Thanks for making me laugh, looking forward to your next video.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-11-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
It's funny 'cause it's true.. I've seen Lake Austin go from a dream to a nightmare in a instant. Imagine trying to wakeskate in the summer, on a river, with surfers and tubers around every bend... no bueno.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-11-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
Where are all the old guys disappearing to? Retirement communities??
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-11-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
all the old guys are buying real surfboards and paddling out.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-11-2013, 9:11 AM Reply   
^^because wake surfs are fake? lol just kidding man.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
Congrats J.B. Great interview, and great riding.

This was my favorite:

"The only things I don’t like are pre spinning on kickers and when riders are really penciled out and stiff legged."

Amen.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-11-2013, 9:17 AM Reply   
^^^^exactly!!! Good interview; add a little winching and JB is a "total package" rider.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-11-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
Jarrod... I agree, love that line

Bama... why are you talking about JB's "package"?
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-11-2013, 1:39 PM Reply   
^^^^lol^^^^
Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-11-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
love watching him ride. if you ever want a pull on lake lbj J.B. let me know
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-12-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
The kid can ride, but interviews aren't his specialty. He's not the only one though, I am a huge Vandall fan and the interview he did a couple months back was a little off Axis to (no pun intended) Ok maybe I did.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-12-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
What? That interview was just fine. JB came off as very positive and upbeat without being derogatory towards other riders/scenes and without trying to sound like he is better or more enlightened than others. He is clearly passionate about wakeboarding and thankful to be involved in the industry. How is that anything like Randy's recent interviews?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
I thought his interview was fine as well. I wasn't making fun of him for some of his comments, I just thought they were funny.... and true.
Old     (sledgehammer)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-12-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
J.B. is the real thing. A great representative of wakeboarding. He is always encouraging other riders, always upbeat, I've never heard him talk bad about anyone. He easily makes beginner riders feel like they are part of the sport. He represents Obrien well, and is an incredibly accomplished rider.

More power to you J.B.
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-13-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
While I agree that the wakeboarding scene has constricted a little over the past couple of years the wakeskating scene is actually really healthy in the area. There's no shortage of people to ride with (amateur and pro) with access to boat, winch spots, ski, and cable. JB's correct in saying there is a huge uptick in wake surfing on LA which used to be something you did after riding. But I see people out earlier on the lake just surfing...
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-14-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
I don't think the interview as a whole was bad, but there were definitely some bad parts that gave me a fairly negative impression the first time I read through the interview. For example, this question almost at the very beginning just about made me stop reading:
Quote:
WW: Why is wakeboarding so important to you?
JB: Wakeboarding is important to me because it is the best thing in the world!
Uhh....yeah. Now, it's not necessarily JB's fault the he doesn't have an amazingly interesting answer to every question, and I'm not even necessarily going to say the interviewer shouldn't have asked such a lame question (you never know, he might have had an unexpectedly interesting answer). But the question and answer both turned out to be totally lame and should have been edited out of the published version of the interview. There's no law that says you have to publish every question and answer without editing out ones that ended up being lame. When I read that one I groaned and almost stopped reading the interview right there. So even though I wouldn't say the interview as a whole was terrible, I can understand why some people came away with a negative impression.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-15-2013, 8:08 AM Reply   
YEAH BUDDY! Way to rep the sport and O'brien! Cant wait for the next video to drop!!!
Old     (holmes)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
Great interview! We always love having JB out to ride with us. Positivie, upbeat, and always pushing for everyone to advance....especially after a cat nap in the bow.

Almost time to hit Lake Belton, I know a secret spot! And thanks for the shout-out!
JHolmes
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-22-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
As an old guy, I can tell you where the old guys go: work, family, family activities. I think those are noble causes.

It is the younger riders that I worry about (at least for boat). I've been looking at the same dudes in the finals at our local tournaments for years. None of us really care about competing anymore and we are all looking old. I wish that a few young guys would step-up, bang out the kind of runs that makes me say, "Awesome, I'm going over to the beach to spectate for this one."

JB is an exception. Keep up the good work.