Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    pointblank            01-18-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
Ok guys don't laugh at me but I don't exactly have the money for a x-star or a wakesetter like most of you so I as just wondering what the best jet ski for wakeboarding is. Im about 6' 4" and weigh 200lbs so I need something that I can use to pull and be pulled with. thanks
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-18-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
if a jet ski is the only thing you are looking for the i would say a new '05 yamaha gp1300r, i have an '04 model (few changes for 05) and it has tons of power (165hp) with a top speed of about 65-66mph. i havnt been able to board behind it yet (im going to use it for sliders/wakeskating) but there isnt a doubt in my mind that it doesnt have enough power. i would also suggest the sea doo gtx wakeboard edition (i think thats what its called) it has a ski pole and a lot of low end torque. but all these jet skis are new and cost 8-10 grand and for that price you could get an older ski boat that will be much better for wakeboarding so you make the call, as long as you are out there boarding
Old    stereor102            01-18-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
none
Old    sharrington            01-18-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
It doesn't matter how much horse power a ski has. The laws of physics prevent enjoyable boarding behind a jet ski. The skis do not have enough mass. At 210 lbs when I tried this I could practically stop a ski when I edged out hard. Driving the ski at a constant speed is impossible. If you want a jet ski fine; just don't expect to enjoy boarding behind it. Sorry. -me
Old     (munky_flip)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-18-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
i saw a new jet ski with board racks and pylon at a boat show last week but it cost as much as my 90 supra sunsport...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-18-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
The best jet ski for wakeboarding is one at the bottom of the lake.

Seriously even a old beat $500 outboard boat would make a better wakeboarding boat then a jet ski. Get a real boat, you won't be sorry.

I think they only use them to pull wakeskating events because they are sponsors.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-18-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
Hey now, jet skis can be an effective wakeboarding asset...when they are dumped into the back seat of a comp boat for ballast that is.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-18-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
This is by far the best jet ski for wakeboarding! This picture was taken a few years ago at lake shasta. My friend is riding behind my 1995 Kawasaki 550sx
application/mswordwakeboarding behind a stand up
Doc1.doc (57.3 k)
Old    byerly137pro            01-18-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Riding behind a jet-ski is the most aggrevating thing possible. Whenever you cut out it slows down and you end being angry at the driver because the speed is so inconsistent. Overall it just makes for a frustrating day out on the water.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-18-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
i agree wakeboarding can be frustrating behind a PWC but it can also be used as great teaching tool. I prefer teaching beginners behind my Sea Doo. Its quiet, takes less time and uses less gas than teaching with the boat. I also have a tip for keeping the PWC at a more consistent speed while wakeboarding... use something to pry the throttle open, preferably a wedged object. I just use the kill switch lantern clip, but I don't recommend it. Have fun!!

CDM
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-20-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
Youll regret getting a jet ski, any boat that you can get for the same amount of money would be better. I started on a ski, a big one, yamaha suv, Nothing but frustration, pull from side to side and so does the ski, Mainting speed is also impossible.
Old    clubjoeskier            01-20-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
Buy any boat b4 jetski...My first boat was an 84 mini-daycruiser, and made a nice little wake for havin' fun...at minimum you'll appreciate the torque you need to get up and hold speed. Stay away from flatbottom type boats. There are deals to be had if u r patient...Besides, PWC's can b finicky! I know firsthand!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-20-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
have you spent much time in boats and/or PWCs? if not, i suggest hooking up with a few pulls behind both, and then reconsider. IMO the advantages of a boat are almost innumerable. to me, PWCs are fun to charge around on for a hour or so, but that's about it.
Old    rere            01-21-2005, 5:12 AM Reply   
...On a similar note, what kind of compact car is best for pulling my Air Nautique?
Old    scooterx            01-21-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
An older Yugo would be best if you can still find one; otherwise, I'm afraid, you'll have to go with the Mini Cooper.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-16-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
I learned to wakeboard behind a GTX 4 tec. Was a great entrance to the wakeboarding world but the driver needs to be the nuts if you want a good pull!! I have upgraded to a 04 VLX now and needless to say there is a small difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Roach is still cool for wakeskating though!!
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-16-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
I don't recomend going behind a jetski... But thats how I learned (since I had a jetski and not a boat). BTW, my jetski is for sale (so I can buy a boat) if you are dead set on getting one.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-16-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
Joe, your brown boat that somewhat matches that truck looks similar to my dad's boat. what kind of boat is that?
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
My son, daughter and I learned to wakeboard behind our Yamaha Waverunners (1200XL three seaters 155HP). We didn't know anyone with a boat or for that matter anyone who wakeboarded. All we had was a Detention video and a wakeboard of course. The jet skies were good for learning wakeboarding basics. Once you are comfortable with the basics your going to want to wakeboard behind a boat. If I had a choice between never wakeboarding again or wakeboarding behind a jet ski, I would pick the jet ski. It beats nothing. However, it's just not the same. A boat is better. Your best bet may be to join a Wakeboarding club and hopefully get some pulls. Good luck.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-20-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
You most likely need to look at a 3 Seater depending on your state laws. I have a Sea Doo RXP but I don't use it for wakeboarding. Here's your best choices.

1) Sea Doo Wakeboard Edition
2) Sea Doo RXT
3) Kawasaki STX 15F