Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-13-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
Ok... This might be a battle of opinions but I thought i would ask to see what everyone else has experienced.

I do half wakeboarding, half surfing. a bit of partying...

Wanted some opinions and possibly some shops experiences with both tower speakers.

Thanks in advance.,
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2013, 12:43 PM Reply   
Size matters in terms of output and mid-bass. The XM9 is an 8" HLCD (OK, its actually 8.375 for those sticklers with the rulers) and the Rev-10 is a 10" HLCD. Ive heard both, side by side. Both are loud. The larger driver clearly makes a difference in the mid-bass, no doubt about it. I have also heard the 8" XM9 HLCD side by side with the 8" Rev-8. Again, both are plenty loud. There was also a difference here in warmth and balance. The cross-over on the Wet Sounds Rev series really shines here. This horn just didnt have the aggressive nature like the older Pro series. The EX9 horn is still fairly aggressive near-field, even after removing the pods nose cover and flipping the switch to the "surf" mode. It made little difference. Comparing the two 8" HLCDs ia a more fair comparison, so if you can, get a demo of all 3 models.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-13-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
Thanks TigeMike,

I had a set of Rev 8's and decided I wanted to upgrade to Rev 10s...not after receiving a quote from my local dealer..I can get almost 2 pairs of XM9 or 1 pair of Rev 10 for the same cost....
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-13-2013, 1:19 PM Reply   
I went from a pair of rev 10's and just switched to 2 pair of XM9's. I love the Exile product. I think Wetsounds makes a good product, but when you compare pricing to the Exiles along with the customer service and performance of the product it was a no brainier for me.

Listen to both and make your decision. Just my $.02
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-13-2013, 1:28 PM Reply   
Here are the objective differences I see. They'll be disputed but can be substantiated.
The Wetsounds Rev10 is a true 10-inch midbass driver. The Exile XM9 is an 8-inch midbass driver. Does the Exile XM9 have a larger cone surface area than some 8's that is often argued? Yes. But also less than other 8's. There will be some variations in all size classes of speakers. So by the standards that the industry adheres to it is an 8-inch speaker. Not a 9-inch. Just like the Exile XM7 is truely a 6.5" speaker when compared to the rest of the industry. Speaker surface area translates to output. The Wetsounds Rev10 clearly has far more surface area as a matter of measurement.
The Wetsounds Rev10 has a much larger pod displacement. Pod displacement translates to more bass bandwidth and deeper midbass extension. That is why both Wetsounds and Exile make smaller and larger speaker options.
The Wetsounds Rev10 has a 1/2" larger voice coil diameter and that translates to greater power handling.
The Wetsounds Rev10 has a single piece horn, independent of the grill, with more of a continuous flare verses a straight tube with an abrupt flare at the end formed by the grill. For a horn tweeter to sound less peaky and sound less like a horn then the continuous flare is better.
The Wetsounds Rev10 has a more rigid midbass cone material less prone to break-up modes.

If you want a comparison within the same size class then compare the Wetsounds Rev8 to the Exile XM9. Both are 8-inch HLCDs. The Exile has .3125" (5/16") more cone diameter from center of surround to center of surround (which determines the 'Sd' effective radiating area) while the Wetsounds will produce more controlled excursion. The minor differences here in Sd and Xmax balance one another. While the pods are different in shape (the Wetsounds is deeper and the Exile is wider at the face) the actual pod displacements are vitually identical. So if you want a valid head to head comparison in size then these are the two tower speakers to compare.
This excludes many of the more subjective differences. Others can weigh in on those.

Once making a purchase, naturally the owners of each product feel strongly about their brand choice, their personal relationships, business ties, and the performance they are getting. Each camp has owners goggles. But it's nice to have choices.
In the past, if the opinion of someone differed from their own (especially when that person has industry experience and knowledge), the reaction has been to attack that person and their motives in an attempt to discredit those opinions, rather than to offer the merit of their choice. We'll see.

David
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
Didn't Exile just drop a new redesigned 10inch speaker? Or 9 and some change with a redesigned crossover and clamp? Could've sworn I saw that.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-13-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
Exile has a new Surf, non-hld, speaker I believe.

What also can be substantiated is that David from Earmark Marine never has a good thing to say about any Exile product AND is a dealer who sells Wetsounds products.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-13-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebu View Post

What also can be substantiated is that David from Earmark Marine never has a good thing to say about any Exile product AND is a dealer who sells Wetsounds products.
Not to be hung if I may be wrong, but don't they sell exile as well?
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-13-2013, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
Thanks TigeMike,

I had a set of Rev 8's and decided I wanted to upgrade to Rev 10s...not after receiving a quote from my local dealer..I can get almost 2 pairs of XM9 or 1 pair of Rev 10 for the same cost....
With the 10's out you could just add another pair of Rev 8's.

What isn't known is what tower and clamps you are currently running on the Rev 8's.

If you need to remove your speakers easily or want to rotate your tower speakers Exile has the trickest clamps on the market that are included with the XM9's at no extra cost. If that is a factor your current Rev 8's would bring good money on the used market to help with funding the purchase of four XM9's.

I think when people compare XM9's to Rev 10's they are simply looking at the flagship models offered by the perceived top two companies in the tower speaker game. When this happens the same two people chime in to clear up the size issue. Thanks again your your unprejudiced substantiated input.

Having owned all of the Wetsounds offerings and having friends who own all of the Exile offerings I don't think either are lacking. Maybe that's why Exile hasn't jumped a XM11 to market? Maybe Brian could chime in on why he doesn't need to go bigger, if he thinks it would be better, or if maybe someday he will?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-13-2013, 4:18 PM Reply   
Word on the streets has it that Wet sounds may be releasing a "rev12" in the spring.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-13-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Not to be hung if I may be wrong, but don't they sell exile as well?
Try calling Earmark or Mike's Liquid Audio and purchasing an Exile product, while their websites give the perception they are Exile dealers they most certainly are not. I was new not long ago and you soon will see why that was a great question. Haha!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2013, 5:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
Try calling Earmark or Mike's Liquid Audio and purchasing an Exile product, while their websites give the perception they are Exile dealers they most certainly are not. I was new not long ago and you soon will see why that was a great question. Haha!
You need to check your facts before making these statements.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-13-2013, 5:02 PM Reply   
Earmark is no longer an Exile dealer. Side by side, on the same display, Exile simply didn't sell well against Wetsounds. There are many dealer accounts that are no longer Exile dealers, including Earmark, Mike's Liquid Audio, Custom Sounds (a very successful 16 store chain), including the local rep firm that parted ways with Exile. Your right, I don't have much to say good about Exile. It was a bad vendor experience for Earmark and with that you could also say that it was a bad Exile experience. That doesn't negate the fact that I know the Exile product inside and out.
While I still contribute on the forums, after 34 years I am retired from Earmark as of earlier this year. Not an employee. No paycheck. No stock. Nothing to gain or lose. So at this time my opinions come as an independent.
The fact remains that the information that I provided about both Wetsounds and Exile is accurate.

David
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-13-2013, 5:09 PM Reply   
I don't have a dog in this fight so i thought I would just do the adult thing and check both sites.

Mikes Liquid Audio does not list Exile as a brand and I have never heard or read anywhere where he claims to be.

Earmark does appear to be a dealer to my untrained eye. I am basing that on the fact that they have Exile product for sale on their web site. Do if they are not a dealer, I'm not sure why they are selling Exile products? Maybe they are closing out old product. So I'm confused as to what my perception should be??? Help us out Rob as I'm not versed in your interweb code...

Like someone said above people like their owners googles. Rob clearly likes Exile as much as some others like Wetsounds. Again that is what my untrained eye see's.

Lets remember JM asked a question if Mikes liquid audio and Earmark sold Exile, that question came out very much as a statement. It was JM and not either of the dealers that claimed to be Exile dealers.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2013, 5:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
Oh, and are you by chance the Rob that works @ Exile? Used to be one that worked in the shipping department.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-13-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
I do not own any Exile products nor am I or have I been affiliated with the company in any way. I like both companies products and have only owned Wetsounds. I love my Wetsounds. I have no brand goggles, when my friends play their Exile stuff, I do not feel superior to them.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-13-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
Oops, sorry Mike! You do not list Exile on your site!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-13-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
Mike and David help everyone out on the forums about audio for free. No commitment to purchase before they help out. I didnt see where David bashed Exile, rather just get facts? Im sure a ton of lurkers and other members appreciate the vast amount of knowledge they have and share here.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-13-2013, 7:40 PM Reply   
It's pretty difficult for these dealers to get behind a brand like Exile who will undercut them and sell directly to clients in their territory at discounted prices.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2013, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
Thanks TigeMike,

The 8" Rev-8 is smaller then the 10" Rev-10, so its expected that the price is less. Likewise with the 8" XM9. That is certainly a consideration for someone building from scratch. But, you already have a single pair of 8" Rev-8, so swapping to a single pair of XM9 is almost a lateral move in terms of driver size, pod size, power handling and output. It will sound different for sure, but that may not be the "upgrade" you are looking for.

What is it in terms of an upgrade are you looking for? If its deeper mid-bass extension, going with a different driver of the same size will not yield the results you seek. You need to go with a larger driver. This holds true with sub-woofers as well. If its more volume you want, then adding a 2nd pair will achieve this, but I would first look at the power to the existing pair.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       09-14-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
It's pretty difficult for these dealers to get behind a brand like Exile who will undercut them and sell directly to clients in their territory at discounted prices.
Well said TJ
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-14-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
Anyone else heard anything about a rev 12?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-14-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
A Rev12 would be a BIG boy. A traditional 12" basket is 12.5" rim to rim so that would make the pod about 13.5" O.D. with around a 15.5" hang height. The added surface area would certainly get you more output but you wouldn't get deeper midbass extension until you really increased the pod displacement too. Then you would have to sell enough of them to amortize the tooling costs and the size would limit the applications. It's hard enough for a 10-inch driver and a horn tweeter to close the gap in the midrange so a 12" would have to be a 3-way or use a massive horn. I see lots of challenges. Never say never.

David
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-14-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
On second thought, if you wanted something more than a 10-inch HLCD, look no farther than the Rev410. The dual sealed dustcap 10"s give you better than 45% more surface area versus a single proaxial 12" would, plus you already get the larger tweeter diaphram and horn, and less hang height than a Rev10.

David
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-14-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
David, what amp(s) would one use on the rev 3some?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2013, 12:28 PM Reply   
SD-6 all day long for a Rev 3-Some
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-14-2013, 12:44 PM Reply   
3x385 is not too much power? Seems perfect for the 410, but 385 is not too much for the rev10's?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2013, 12:51 PM Reply   
585W rms is a ton of power for the Rev-10, but once the 410 is tuned, the Rev-10's get gain-matched to the 410. There are plenty of dual amp setups that will power it as well, but you cant beat the power from a single chassis that the SD-6 will deliver in 3 chnl mode.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-14-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
Sorry, 585* is what I meant. I'm a bit afraid of blowing these things to smithereens with that power.
If I decided to go back to 2 pair of rev10, this amp would power them as well?

Id like the least amount of amps possible.
Ideally, 1 for tower, 1 for subs, one for cabin speakers.
But I would like the versatility to change my mind between a rev 3some or 2 pair of rev10 should it be the case.

Last edited by Jmorlan; 09-14-2013 at 1:01 PM.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-14-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
David, what amp(s) would one use on the rev 3some?
Ideally you would want identical power to all four 10-inch drivers in a Wetsounds 3-Some. The single center Rev410 has the same 4-ohm impedance load as the two outside Rev10s, so managing this is not as straight forward as running four of the same speakers.
Certainly in a single amplifier chassis to drive the 3-Some, the Wetsounds SD6 is THE choice. With a good tuning technique you can safely balance the power. Having a multimeter helps get the perfectly matched power to all four 10s.
In a single chassis amplifier to drive two pair of Rev10s, the Wetsounds SD2 is a great starting point at 300 watts to each of four 10"s.
If running two amplifiers for a 3-Some then the options are a Wetsounds Syn4 bridged combined with a Wetsounds Syn2 bridged, or two JL Audio HD750/1s.
If running two amplifiers for two pair of Rev10s then the options are dual Wetsounds Syn4s bridged, or dual JL Audio HD750/1s.
Keep in mind that when powering two pair of Rev10s, most people will use two amplifiers to get the maximum performance, so the same can be applied to a 3-Some.
I like all the above choices because you get the proper summing configuration switches or L/R summing circuits. Many amplifier brands didn't engineer the amplifiers to be bridged fullrange or beyond a lowpass subwoofer application.

David
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-14-2013, 5:09 PM Reply   
Ill be running the Rev 10 3 some on my new Axis with a SD 6. Cant wait to hear it with that much power!!! Ill definitely be setting gains with a multi meter though!!
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-16-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Holy smokes - Looks like I'm late to the party. My apologies. I was ocean fishing this weekend for a much needed break

I'm not surprised to see the Earmark buss run over Exile in the internet streets, but the facts are really simple. I terminated business with this account last year for reasons that are private. They didnt feel supported, and neither did Exile. We've asked this retailer to remove our images from their website and they have refused. I wonder why?

I just wish he wouldn't work to throw Exile down to the gutter each time. Your post is guilty by omission: Fact is the rep you refer to got out of the mobile category completely. They are home reps now...you know this. Of course they are not our rep anymore. CSounds we haven't sold since 2005 and never carried our marine gear to begin with? At least MLA was kind enough to take our images down after he moved on. You are correct that we have withdrawn from internet sellers for the most part. The only retailers we authorize to carry our brand online is Bakesmarine and wakemakers. No sonicelectronics, no hifisoundworks, no earmark, no ebay. Case closed.

To the Op: I'm surprised you can pick up 2 pr of XM9's for the cost of one pair of Rev10's. If so, thats a great deal.

@mikebu; The speaker your referring to is the SXT9Q - Surf speaker. Yes it comes stock with a new stainless steel mount design. It launched about 3 weeks ago in the USA and Australia.

@david - Regardless of our past workings together, I wish you the best in retirement. Get off the boards and enjoy it.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-16-2013, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Sorry, 585* is what I meant. I'm a bit afraid of blowing these things to smithereens with that power.
If I decided to go back to 2 pair of rev10, this amp would power them as well?

Id like the least amount of amps possible.
Ideally, 1 for tower, 1 for subs, one for cabin speakers.
But I would like the versatility to change my mind between a rev 3some or 2 pair of rev10 should it be the case.
I have had the SD amps in my boat since they first came out. I have 585W to each of the 4 Rev10's between 2 SD6's. The other 4ch are bridged to 2 and power the inboat speakers.

If tuned properly and used responsibly, the sound is phenomenal.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-16-2013, 2:28 PM Reply   
We stock Exile product and have had a great experience with both the XM7's and XM9's. Great volume and sounds quality.

With this said I have personally had great experiences with both companies speakers aside.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-17-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
I purchased all of my Exile products from a retailer after having multiple conversations via email and phone with Brian and others at exile. I could not be happier with the XM7s I had and now my XM9s. My boat is full of exile product including amps in boat and sub. Everyone loves how good it sounds from wet sounds people to Bullet. I have nothing but good things to say about the people at Exile as well as their retailer. Too bad people like to air dirty laundry on stupid message boards. BTW Tim makes a really good product as well and always seems to be a nice guy.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
I do tend to notice David from Earmark pushing everyone in a certain direction based on his preference (or financial gain), but I think it is obvious to most on the board and people see through it. Certainly he is very knowledgeable and has a lot to add, but often it is just a blatant plug. Bottom line is it is obvious that both parties make an awesome product and have awesome service. We have both groups on our stretch of water and right now the best system I have heard on the water in our area has a system that starts with an E..... I think all of the folks agree that have compared. I would rather support Exile personally because they make a great product, have great service, and Brian is a great guy. I certainly won't fault someone for buying Wetsounds as they are clearly a great product as well.
Do you suppose we can ever get away without beating this topic to death once a week in a different thread????
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-17-2013, 7:39 AM Reply   
Diggs,
As clearly stated above in this thread, I am retired. I have no position with, paycheck from or stock with Earmark. There is no, zip, nada financial gain for me. I am just expressing an independent opinion at this point. I do give my preference just like everyone else now. I offer a lot of technical experience as well as product knowledge to this forum. And, as a hobbiest I will continue to contribute without any personal gain. Again, that's not about to change. The Exile camp goes out of their way to discredit my opinion. The reasons are obvious. I even called it out in advance. My initial post didn't bash Exile. I only offered hard facts that can be substantiated. So unless I have made a blatantly false statement, there is no reason for you to include my name or a past business assocoation in your post....unless you strongly feel that my opinion is threatening.

David
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-17-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
Hey easy "The Credible David".... Just a comment. No offense to you. It is just business for you
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-17-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
LOL, woah woah... Can't we all just get along..>Maybe ill buy one set of Rev 10s and 1 set of xm9s...

Good one Russ..ha ha..
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-17-2013, 7:31 PM Reply   
Hey David, Funny how you try and justify being retired and you have no dog in the fight, Believe me all of us have agendas, You try and disguise yours in so called facts, measurements X Times this equal what ever, And I'm sure some of that all makes sense, But the bottom line is you don't offer an objective opinion, it is well noted you have something against Exile and it shows up in just about everything you post, Nobody disputes Wet sounds and Exile are darn good company's and offer incredible products, And yes the Rev 10 is a we bit bigger then the XM9..OK we get it, But honestly that does not tell the whole story and puts doubt in consumers minds when they inquire about these 2 products, I have heard these side by side, And I would say toss up, Man they both sound good, And I may not be as educated as you are in all the workings of these products but Bigger is not always better, Most of us don't really care, Most of that crap go's right over my head, But when i'm on shore and hear this stuff live, I challenge you to really hear the difference, if you really did not have such animosity towards Exile Most of us would actually take you more serious, Like I said before , Get your butt out in a boat...Really tired of listening to you...
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-17-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
I chose my wet sounds because they look better. Lol
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-17-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
A true honest answer right there!! LOL
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-17-2013, 8:36 PM Reply   
So let me get this striaght David is no longer affiliated with Earmark? So he doesn't own it any more? He gave it away? Now he really has no reason to be on these forums.....Or one would think. He doesn't have a wakeboat, never has. Doesn't ride behind one, so he never really knows what all these speakers actually sound like in or BEHIND THE BOAT. But just take his word for it right?

Don't be fooled. Hes now just a spokesmodel for the guys that own the place now. Nice spin

What do you like to in your spare time "Mrs. Texas"?

It surely isn't wake sports. " I like to spend my evening with a nice glass of Cabernet ......a fully charged laptop..... A perfect broadband connection ... And if I am lucky I might even break one off in some Exile a$$.

We get it homeboy.

Really sucks car audio dead. These guys have no where else to go.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-17-2013, 8:36 PM Reply   
Send me a pair of Exiles as a sponsor deal. Ill give an un obliged review
Haven't even hung the wet sounds yet. Showed up today. Ill hang a pair of each!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
I think David is an asset to wakeworld. He tends to over explain things at times and doesnt dumb it down for the masses but that's okay. He's a professional with a lot of experience. He may be a tad overly supportive of the brands he used to sell but I also think we're all adults who can see through that when necessary. He never changed or steered my opinion of Exile. (full disclosure: I rock 4 Rev10's because I compared/heard them BEFORE I bought them).
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-17-2013, 10:24 PM Reply   
I'll second that. When questioning amps David explained and answered the questions I asked. If I asked a brand pertinent question, he answered appropriately. Never once recommended a particular brand. Just specs and working of the models.

However, I have not had much board interaction from Brian so I may have a bias being earmark is all I have known on wakeworld.

But. Brian seems like a legit dude from what I have gathered.

Exile I hadn't heard of until wake world. Wet sounds I was familiar with from people around with them. Being acme tops and tunes is my neck of the woods, everyone runs wet sounds. So I may have another bias being it is all I know.

I have called wet sounds many times asking questions about amp/speaker combos etc etc in the last few weeks, even questions about the polk MM line running on wet sounds amps. And polk isnt even their brand. Simon over at wet sounds is the man. Provided some good info even when it wasn't their stuff.

But again wet sounds is all I have known so far. I'm sure exile would provide the same answers and help.

I'm sure they are both top tier brands no doubt and both will give you some bang for your buck. In the end. I felt the wet sounds looked better for my boat. Really a preference choice I would think. Neither can be wrong.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-18-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
*******************NEWS FLASH********************** NEWS FLASH**************************
Another Exile and Wetsounds thread that ended in Exile is a good brand and has good customer service and Wetsounds is a good brand and has good customer service. Top it off with a bunch of people stating the same thing they have in many other Exile and Wetsounds posts..... Hopefully this thread dies after this post cause I am not sure anyone learned anything new.....
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter672010 View Post
Hey David, Funny how you try and justify being retired and you have no dog in the fight, Believe me all of us have agendas, You try and disguise yours in so called facts, measurements X Times this equal what ever, And I'm sure some of that all makes sense, But the bottom line is you don't offer an objective opinion, it is well noted you have something against Exile and it shows up in just about everything you post, Nobody disputes Wet sounds and Exile are darn good company's and offer incredible products, And yes the Rev 10 is a we bit bigger then the XM9..OK we get it, But honestly that does not tell the whole story and puts doubt in consumers minds when they inquire about these 2 products, I have heard these side by side, And I would say toss up, Man they both sound good, And I may not be as educated as you are in all the workings of these products but Bigger is not always better, Most of us don't really care, Most of that crap go's right over my head, But when i'm on shore and hear this stuff live, I challenge you to really hear the difference, if you really did not have such animosity towards Exile Most of us would actually take you more serious, Like I said before , Get your butt out in a boat...Really tired of listening to you...
Vince,
What a giant amount of misinformation you are spreading here. Most of the Exile advocates in this thread make no audio contribution and only come out of the woodwork to attack any opinion contrary to Exile.
Suggesting this two speakers are in the same class is a wild deception.
The Exile XM9 pod is wide and shallow in shape. It only looks competitive in size from one perspective. There is a lot of plastic rim and pod around this 8" speaker. In contrast, the Wetsounds Rev10 pod is wider and yet much deeper. There is little extra plastic pod around the WS 10" speaker rim because the speaker extends to nearly the outside of the pod. There is a huge difference in cone surface area and pod displacement. Furthermore when you investigate inside you will find that the Exile XM9 has a thick plastic molded basket and plastic magnet cap that is extremely bulky as compared to a stamped steel basket. As a result there is very little internal displacement left in the Exile XM9 pod. The bottom line is....you must displace as much air in the pod as you displace outside of the pod. So size definitely does matter here. Everyone can grasp the difference in woofer/enclosure sizes related to both output and bass extension. All subjective opinions and owners goggles aside, this is simply fact. The Exile XM9 has a midbass bump (a classic symptom of too small of an enclosure) while the Wetsounds Rev10 has true and deeper midbass extension. A reasonable comparison of two speakers of the same size and pod displacement....would be the Exile XM9 and Wetsounds Rev8. If Exile created an XM11 10-inch speaker to compete with the Wetsounds Rev10 then it would be apples to apples. You should get your facts straight. In fact, you should come up with one single fact worth supporting. And this is what fuels my contention with Exile. Continued hype that is not based in reality. Like for example, totally bogus amplifier power specs on the xi series of amplifiers. Not one of them comes close to spec.

David

David
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-18-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
I knew he would get you to arise from your slumber, Enjoying that Retirement are you, I think you missed the point the only thing in question is your agenda. You will try to use numbers and facts and anything you can to discredit this company. That's what most of us on here have a problem with. Again it is stated both product's are pretty damn good but you will never admit that because of your animosity towards Exile again you hide behind many things and we all see through it. So to sum it up no matter how smart you are you cannot hide the fact that you will do anything you can to put doubt in consumers minds about Exile. And that my friend is the bottom line time to get out of the PJs now
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
Here is the result of an independent test report on the Exile xi800.4 amplifier.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xca...800.4Graph.jpg

With a 14.4V supply at 1% distortion it averages 84 watts per channel into a 4-ohm load and 110 watts per channel into a 2-ohm load. That's a far cry from the 4 X 200 watt rating at 2-ohms that Exile provides.
Originally there was an Exile x800.4 amplifier that was a legit 800 watt amplifier. With a model change the power was decidedly less yet Exile maintained the same model designation with the same power rating. How about that for a deception. So can you get a huge discount on this amplifier? Sure. But you better because you can get that type of power from another amplifier manufacturer for about half the price. Or, you can get a far superior amplifier for a fraction of the price. Over-state the product. Offer big discounts. One means to create the perception of value that I wouldn't be proud of.

David
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-18-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
David - Theres nothing independent about you. I think its pretty clear to people you have an agenda. You and I have spoke many times on the phone and you've made it clear your a merchant above all else. When things don't go your way... as was the case with Exile, Bullet, Boston... Its bad for biz. Just be honest about it. I think thats why these guys get in your face.

It's funny that you bring up power ratings and exile not making power. I've yet to hear from anyone... ever, that felt our gear isnt top notch. Exile Joined CEA and certified all our amplifiers. We even put birth certificates of authenticated power in the box so consumers can see for themselves real world data. Moreover, your arguing about a model that is no longer in production. It's been replaced by the XM15.4. Consider joining the CEA as a retailer member. It's the above board thing to do. They have a process by which you can be involved. You know this sir. Hell, consider, supporting wake world as an advertiser. The other merchants do. Oh ya, I forgot... your retired.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2013, 10:12 AM Reply   
Brain,
I have a great relationship with Jamie from Bullet HollowPoint. I still visit by phone with him and offer encouragement even after my retirement. Great relationship with Boston Acoustics right up until the time they pulled out of automotive. I just picked up some B.A. home gear. Some of Earmark's vendor relationships are over 30 years old. So lord only knows what you are implying Brian. It's another one of your shell games.
I sold 100% of my stock to Odin and Joe. I'm out. That doesn't mean that I'm less interested in home, car and marine electronics. And, I will continue to contribute to the forums in my area of specialty plus write training & technical drafts and do consulting for various retail companys. But I will never benefit by a penny in my present capacity by what Wetsounds, JL Audio, Exile, etc. etc. do.
Yes, you have a new amplifier line that has yet to be independently tested. Maybe it's legit. There is no governing body to enforce consumer mobile electronics spec. I recognize the platform also used by a series of Phoenix Gold although the power configurations are different. I have a 200 amp power supply with 2000 watts of load resistors and all the necessary test equipment. Send me a few amplifiers and I will test them with any supervision you want over my shoulder. Perhaps this series is legit. But, the fact remains that every unit in the previous amplifiers had totally bogus specs. No one else created those specs. You did. That's why I like facts. All these attempted distractions do not change the facts.

David
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-18-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
Here's an example of the our Birth certificates...Mind you its just a quick shot. All Exile current inline products mfg from Q4 2013 will have an actual tested Birth certificate inside. I know , I know... the CEA doesn't know what they are talking about either power ratings....rolls eyes.

Next time, involve us in the test as CEA does sir. If you want to return the amp, I'd be happy to replace the amp with one that makes power? For that matter why didnt you test all the products you carry? I think its because you got an axe to grind aint it....

We can talk all day long about credentials and test procedures.... but in reality, people need to know this is what the CEA is all about. We are a member largely in part because of stuff like this.

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-18-2013, 10:34 AM Reply   
OH DEAR GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHUT UP MAKE IT END!!!!!!!!!!! slamming head on desk throwing stuff off of it. Brian is a liar the exile crew is mean blah blah blah just stop please please.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2013, 10:44 AM Reply   
Here is another independent Exile amplifier test. It's the Harpoon which is rated at 500 watts per channel into a 2-ohm load according to CEA RMS standards (1% distortion, 14.4 V supply).
As tested, the amplifier averaged 370 watts per channel.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...000.2Graph.jpg

ALL the Exile xi amplifiers came up 25 to 45% short of spec. After I began to have concerns, I first tested them and then sent them off to Nikola Engineering Labs for an independent test.
So there is no doubt. And there is no way that a manufacturer/importer wouldn't know the truth about their own product performance. An absolute deception.

David
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-18-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-18-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
Hold on..... Lets try this again.....

*******************NEWS FLASH********************** NEWS FLASH**************************
Another Exile and Wetsounds thread that ended in Exile is a good brand and has good customer service and Wetsounds is a good brand and has good customer service. Top it off with a bunch of people stating the same thing they have in many other Exile and Wetsounds posts..... Hopefully this thread dies after this post cause I am not sure anyone learned anything new.....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-18-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
Dang, if I were one of David's former partners, I'd sure want him to stop using my business name. Regardless of whether you are right or wrong, David, your public erection for Exile doesn't reflect well on the business.

Unless maybe it was earmark's practice to test everything it sold and share similar test results? That would actually be pretty valuable info. How doe the wetsounds and JL amps do under similar tests, David?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Shawn,
That's a good point. Other amplifiers were tested when their was a question. Here is an independent Pasmag test of a JL Audio XD500/3 as an example. The 2-ohm power as 'rated' was 500 watts total. The 2-ohm power as 'tested' was 673 watts total. That means that the JL Audio amplifier produced 35% more power than its specifications. Another thing worth noting is that the unregulated JL Audio amplifiers would still make all their 14.4V power even with a lower 12.6V supply. This is common among JL Audio amplifiers. And there is a valid reason for the very conservative ratings. JL Audio gives you instructions as to how to set the gains at full power based on a voltage measurement. But what if you set the gains at rest with a 12.5 volt supply and then used the amplifiers while underway with a much higher supply voltage? You could drive the amplifier into hard clipping. But the conservative power specs and voltage settings already compensate for this. Just follow the instructions so that there is no risk to your speakers. Here's the review:

http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/repo...lifier-review-

Now, the flip side is when someone does the power/voltage equation according to the published specs and sets their gains with a multimeter on an amplifier that has bogus specs or won't come close to spec with a lower voltage supply. You can expect trouble.

As for Wetsounds power....the Class H amplifiers share a platform with the Arc Audio amplifiers also designed by Robert Zeff. There are plenty of Pasmag independent reviews on the Arc site to substantiate the Wetsounds specs. In every case the amplifiers meet or exceed spec, oftentimes producing their 14.4V specs at only a mid 13 volt supply. So both Wetsounds and JL Audio have a good history of proven, honest specs. Their buyers are better informed by their dealers and JL Audio and Wetsounds doesn't have to inflate specs to compete.

David
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-18-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
I can't believe David is the only one being scrutinized here... It takes two to tango... Let em get it out between them..... It pertains to the DOOMED asked question in the topic between two certain brands but never the less, let it all out guys.. I'm making popcorn... Above all else it is a forum and people here are definitly not shy of this behavior here... It's in almost every thread between someone...

Brian,
Do you have video of your CEA testing to rebuttle against David's? Just asking, not taking side yet...
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-18-2013, 11:59 AM Reply   
Sounds good David - I'll have a magazine test some exile product.

In other words... no you didn't test/tinker/ analyze/ dissemble anyone else's stuff. Least your honest about it. Kinda proves my point.

Agenda.

Case closed. I've nothing else to add to any of this.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-18-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
David is correct, comparing the Rev 10 to the XM9 is not a fair comparison. The Rev 10 has a larger driver and should have a different sound. As to the construction or what fits where, I cannot comment on that as I have not seen the insides of the Wet Sound's.

I guess the $1,000,000 question is: If Exile is inferior to Wet Sounds as some might casually suggest then why do they sell a lot of gear? I made this same point on TMC, if Exile sucked that bad their stuff would not sell given that they are in the same general price point. Who knows, maybe every person that owns an Exile setup is uneducated and everyone that owns a Wet Sounds setup is educated? The in-board boating community is very small and ones that will spend thousands of dollars on a boat system on top of a 70k+ boat are even less.

I also believe that price is a factor. Compare the Wet Sounds Icon 8 to the Exile SXT9Q:

Exile: $900.00 with swivel clamps and speaker socks

Wet Sounds: $1,024.98 with swivel clamps and speaker socks

Put 2-3 pairs on a tower and the Wet Sounds cost you $250.00-375.00 more than the same Exile setup. Granted, the Wet Sounds allow you to buy things a la carte so it is possible to buy the speakers and a fixed mount clamp for $200 less.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
There is a weird sense of logic with Brian in his attempt to turn the real issue around and place the blame on others. He acts as if it was discovered that the Exile amplifiers didn't meet spec because I had an agenda. But I had an agenda specifically because the Exile amplifiers did not meet spec. As a dealer I was being deceived and every consumer who bought one was also being deceived. Whether it was enough power to get the job done or not is completely secondary to the fact that the consumer deserved to have accurate information before making his selection and spending his money. I called these specs out several years ago.
When you are looking at an amplifier that was smaller, lighter, one power supply versus two, and half the fusing capacity as the previous model with the identical power rating, you have to stop and think WHAT IN THE WORLD? That is if you have the knowledge to know what to question. But this was painfully obvious in the case of the Exile 4-channel amplifier. So then you make your own tests. Once your fears where confirmed you send them off to an independent lab so that there can be no questioning of the results. I wouldn't want to go out on a limb without having an ironclad back-up because I already know that it will be denied. It wasn't that one model didn't meet spec. None of the amplifiers met spec. Btw, it is not uncommon for mobile electronics dealers to test the amplifiers they carry and even the ones they don't. I had local competitors who also did it.
Actually I had been taking every amplifier series carried apart forever, at minimum one amplifier from each model series, especially with the introduction of any new line. This began with the first industry DC to DC switching amplifiers from the '70s including Smegg, Audio Mobile, a/d/s, Zapco, and Rockford Fosgate to name a few. I was one of the first half dozen Phoenix Gold amplifier dealers in the nation and I can still tell you every detail of the internal construction. I have been on the inside of at least one of every series of amplifiers from Wetsounds, JL Audio, and many more.
Do I think the newest Exile amplifiers with the certifications will meet spec? They certainly should. Who would attempt the same deception twice after they've already been called on the carpet?

David
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-18-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
How does CEA do their testing?
I played around with my sub / amp with one of our fluke data loggers and was supprised to find it's quite under rated and how high the true impedance is across the playing range of my driver.

But seriously guys, go duke it out over the phone and not on here.
You both have helped out me and others. But this is doing nothing but make you look like mud slinging politicians.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-18-2013, 2:47 PM Reply   
WOW! This thread is down right AWESOME! I always love the Wet sounds Vs. Exile threads. reminds me of the Wet sounds Vs. Bullet threads. Or the Chevy Vs. Ford threads. Just because I want to say I was a part of this thread I am going to add some BS just to make all of you waste 30 more seconds of your life reading about an argument that is subjective. Meaning there is no right or wrong!

Wetsounds -SUCK
Exile- SUCK
Glad I got that ot of the way. Now I can enjoy my sucky ass speakers and amps.
I could add more to the list but trying to keep this thread on topic.

Lets just do a little comparison that actually matters.

Customer service- Exile Vs. Wetsounds? A+ for both we can all agree on this point. it has been stated over and over again.

Product -Exile Vs. Wetsounds ? A+ Everyone who has a PRO AUDIO set up on there boat loves it. It doesn't matter which one it is they love it with a passion.

What sounds better Exile Vs. Wetsounds ? ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE! My ears are different than yours. My Expectations are different than yours. ONLY YOU CAN KNOW THE ANSWER. Well your wife might know better than you but don't ever admit it.

I`ll stay away from the spec vs. reality etc conversation mainly because I don't care. I don't care if my amp puts out 5000 watts or 50 watts what I care about is how it sounds I really really wish when these threads pop up that people would all respond in kind and say " let your ears decide. I am located in _______ and I have ________ if you want to come take a listen feel free to hit me up." I know it seems like a novel Idea that will never come to light but it sure would be nice.

Brian/ David- Some advise from an old soul and youthful heart. IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY IT! It doesn't matter if your right or wrong keep your mouth shut! This is a public forum and is here for the public to converse our OPINIONS about anything we want. Not a forum for the business minded people carrying agendas. When you guys ( especially you David) get in here and have a little pissing match NO ONE wins. The earmark supporters get upset, The exile supporters get upset, The Wetsounds supporters get upset and for what? For nothing! I love that fact that both of you are here and can be helpful at times but the other times like this one it just sucks and you look like a little kid in the sand box who just had his bucket taken from him.

While nothing I wrote means anything more than what it is worth I hope that all of you stop and think for just one second. Personally I bought a boat to have fun. I come here to read the story's and come up with new ideas for cool things to do to my boat in the down time. I don't come here to argue or taught how mines better than yours. If you look thru your photos from summers past you will see this link. It is full of hot chicks, smiling kids, and sunset runs that you almost forgot about.

XOXOXOXOXO to all the boating peeps.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-18-2013, 2:55 PM Reply   
I find it interesting that the manufacturer of one brand is slugging it out with a retired dealer of another brand and the other manufacturer is silent...
Probably too busy taking orders..
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-18-2013, 4:12 PM Reply   
haha, holy shoot what did I start.......

Last edited by Greeko; 09-18-2013 at 4:16 PM. Reason: swear
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-18-2013, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
I find it interesting that the manufacturer of one brand is slugging it out with a retired dealer of another brand and the other manufacturer is silent...
Probably too busy taking orders..
I guess it is hard to post when you are growing your company and selling product at a tradeshow - by the boatload...
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-18-2013, 4:14 PM Reply   
Some of you guys need to quit trying to ruin the good thing we have going here!!!!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-18-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
LOL, I just figured the wetsounds guys were still too busy trying to figure out how exile (and audiocontrol and clarion and...) control two zones with only one knob....
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-18-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
Thats what their master volume knob is for isnt it
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-18-2013, 4:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
LOL, I just figured the wetsounds guys were still too busy trying to figure out how exile (and audiocontrol and clarion and...) control two zones with only one knob....
You just have so much love the for ws420 eh..

So funny story, my WS420 blew up this summer... Wet sounds said they wouldn't warranty it fully because it was 16 months old..they offered me a credit towards a new one... I am pretty disappointed with the offer ... Don't know what I am going to do about it...

What would you guys do?
Is the ZLD have enough tunability for tower/in boats being integrated into the same knob?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-18-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
Ha ha greeko I was kidding, don't try to drag me into this too!
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       09-18-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
evil laugh...
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-18-2013, 4:42 PM Reply   
Yes I've had both WS-420 and ZLD and the Exile is way more user friendly. ZLD will do everything you need it to do and more.

I've had both products now and they are both great. Ill give the customer service edge to Exile (just more personable). I personally invited the Wetsounds guys to come up to an event 1hr from their complex and support a group in Houston and they couldn't send one person to represent them. Brian K and another rep from Exile flew in from Oregon to support the event. How's that for company representation. If I'm not mistaken he sold 2 or 3 complete boat hookups that weekend. Just an FYI.

WS biggest deterrent are some of their people on these forums with their pompous attitudes pretending to not work for them and sway you to buy their product. I've Ben selling different products for the last 15 yrs and the worst thing you can do is bash someone else's product to sell yours. I'm sure if Tim knew this was happening he wouldn't be to happy.

MY $.02. Good Day.....
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-18-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Outside perspective from someone that doesn't know much or really care.

David is a scientist engineer type that is coming at everyone with facts. Facts are facts, and his facts seem to be relevant and accurate. He isn't saying exile products don't sound as good, he says they can't have as much amplitude, because of their size. Pretty straight foward, unless Exile operates under their own law of physics.

I tend to trust facts over opinions. Seems all the exile supporters are crawling out of the woodwork defending their products with opinions.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-18-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Shawn,

As for Wetsounds power....the Class H amplifiers share a platform with the Arc Audio amplifiers also designed by Robert Zeff. There are plenty of Pasmag independent reviews on the Arc site to substantiate the Wetsounds specs.

David
David,

Do you have links to the independent reviews of the Wetsounds amplifiers? Anything can "share a platform" with another product. Most firearms come to mind. Some are better replicas than others. I searched the PASMAG site (good one btw) for reviews of actual Wetsounds products but I didn't find any.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-18-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtech View Post
David,

Do you have links to the independent reviews of the Wetsounds amplifiers? Anything can "share a platform" with another product. Most firearms come to mind. Some are better replicas than others. I searched the PASMAG site (good one btw) for reviews of actual Wetsounds products but I didn't find any.
Now you are just fishing and sounding desperate...everyone knows that there is no difference b/t the WS Syn amps and Arc Audio KS amps. The links have been posted time and time again.

Syn 2: reviewed by PasMag: http://content.arcaudio.com/pdfs/rev...3002review.pdf

Syn 4 reviewed by PasMag:http://content.arcaudio.com/pdfs/rev...testreport.pdf

Look at the power numbers - not the 14.4 or the 12.6 but the mid 13's voltage

We all knew the Exile amps were way overrated year ago....PasMag did some testing on the same PG amps.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-18-2013, 5:38 PM Reply   
ha ha murphy, but then how come WS consistently claims higher wattage numbers than Arc?

Arc's specs on the KS 300.2
2 Channels @ 4 ohms 180 Watts
2 Channels @ 2 ohms 350 Watts
1 Channel @ 4 ohms (bridged) 700 Watts

Wetsounds specs on Syn 2
Stereo @ 4 Ohms 200 x 2 watts RMS
Stereo @ 2 Ohms 350 x 2 watts RMS
Mono @ 4 Ohms 700 x 1 watts RMS

There must be something different, right?

the gap is more pronounced on the syn 4.

Arc's specs for ks300.4:
4 Channels @ 4 ohms 90 Watts
4 Channels @ 2 ohms 175 Watts
2 Channels @ 4 ohms (Bridged) 350 Watts

Wetsounds specs for Syn 4:
Stereo @ 4 Ohms 125 x 4 watts RMS
Stereo @ 2 Ohms 200 x 4 watts RMS
Mono @ 4 Ohms 400 x 2 watts RMS