Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-03-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
Looks like our own Chris Resnick will be in recovery mode this summer instead of rockin' the CWB. He had a bad crash in the desert this weekend leaving one ankle shattered and the other pretty badly tweaked as well. They'll know more when the swelling goes down, but he'll go in for surgery next week.

So say a prayer for him and hopefully he'll be back on the water before the year is out.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-03-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Man that sucks, get well Chris!

-Steve
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-03-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Ouch dude, fast healing to you.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-03-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
Man! That sucks Chris. Hope you are OK other than the ankle. Heal up and keep us updated on the surgery and progress. I will give you a call in a few days and see how you are doing. Keep your chin up bro!

Man that sucks!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-03-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
Ouch, that really sucks!

Looks like I'll have to give you a call soon...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-03-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
sorry to hear that chris. take care man. let's hope for a quick and full recovery and get your ass back out on the water!
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-03-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody, it's nice to hear from all of you. I'm pretty bummed right now..... it's funny this stuff always get's me when life just starts going good. I'm trying to be positive atleast i will ride and walk another day that's more then some of my other friends right now. Thanks everybody
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-03-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
Good to see you're up and about. Bummer timing man, hopefully you'll be riding again before you know it.

-Steve
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-03-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Get well soon!! Take care
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Hey everybody, I had a question regaurding CMS insurance has anyone ever applied for it. I've gotten myself into A pretty big financial burden. I have no health insurance. So I'm scrambling for options. I applied for the cms deal but i heard a rumor that they don't cover surgery. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-04-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
Can you make some kind of claim on the boat insurance? (if it was insured)

Sorry to hear of your injury. My aunt was the financial manager for a clinic for a long time. One thing that you can do is make an appointment to meet with the Hospital bill collectors and discuss your situation with them. Hospitals get burnt all of the time and they really do try to work with anyone who is willing to put forth the effort to make thing OK. There is a good chance they will write off part of your bill.

Good luck in your recovery and everything else.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-04-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
You ride dirt bikes with no health insurance?

Best of luck to you man.

Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-04-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Well put Jarrod. Hope you heal quickly and get some health insurance for the future. I'm having knee surgery next week and it's only costing me fifty bucks.

I would think anyone involved in any kind of activity that puts stress on the body would have coverage. Hope the cms works out.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
Thanks jon for the positive feedback the hospital where I'll be having my surgery is the same one i did my clinical time at during paramedic school. 1300 volunteer hours of doing IV's, intubations and med administration as well as pt care must be worth something. Thanks again.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-04-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Despite rising health care costs, insurance for guys our age is like $30 a month, thats half my cell phone bill and all my cell does is let douche bags I don't like get a hold of me. Insurance does much better things than that. Get some damn insurance next time dog!! Heal well.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
If it's not too late, look for a non-profit care provider. I work for one of the bigger ones in the western states and it breaks down like this. In order to stay non-profit, a care provider has to donate as much or more than their estimated tax liability in the form of medical services to the community they operate in. So, depending on your income level, you can apply for financial assistance. Or, you can do like Stephan advises and get some insurance. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Good luck with your recovery.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
30 try 200 a month for me, 23 with an active history. I couldn't agree more that i'm foolish for not having health insurance and riding and racing but that is something i can't change and now have to live with. I'm trying to get suggestions on how to deal with the expenses not a shoulda woulda coulda lecture.Thanks again
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-04-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I don't know where you're getting your health insurance for $30 but I'd like to know.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
heh, it's an age thing, too, i think. when i was 20 i competed as an amateur kickboxer with no health insurance. i got very lucky and never got hurt, but in retrospect realize how very careless that was.

i hope you get the best treatment possible, Chris, financial issues can be worked out, but unfortunately we only get one pair of ankles for life..
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-04-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
Chris,

I'm old enough, and you are young enough. Maybe I can adopt you, and add you to my insurance. Just an idea. Lemme know!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
Chris, I am not sure about the whole insurance after the accident thing, but I do know that if you work with the hospital they will usually work with you. I recently had to have surgery on my arm and the total bill was about 20G's. SJSU insurance has no out of pocket max, So I was left with a approx 20% bill,(which is a lot better than the whole thing). I called them and got on a payment plan, which they havent charged any interest on yet. Good luck.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-04-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yeah, I have never seen insurance for $30 a month either. Maybe $30 a pay period? I'm on a huge corporate plan through my wife and we pay $85 per person per month. When I was on my own at the age of 26, I paid about $180 a month. I'll tell you this though.....I'm a bad investment. My insurance company is loosing their ace on me. I cost them thousands a year.

Sorry to get off topic.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
Thanks again guys this is all good stuff. I plan on talking with the hospital. I'm getting so many conflicting stories about this county medical services plan. Everyone at the hospital (MD, nurses, and admitting who deals with them) all say that they will pick up the bill. Then today I hear from a friend who went through something similar say that they don't cover surgery .... urrrgh Thanks again and buzz i always knew you were my long lost poppa lol
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
I am there with yah J-rod. Do the insurance companies have a credit type check where they know how many bills you have racked up? I am pretty confident that even having been insured since I was born I have come out ahead in the payments versus medical bills picked up. Then again I am pretty blessed to have not had worse injuries given the stuff I do (knocking on wood).
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-04-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
My corporate plan is only $36 a month, not too bad.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-05-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
Yea my corporate plan is free for me as an individual. They reimburse me for the deductable. The only thing that I have to pay for is Meds and I think I get a discount on that. I am basically donating my companies money to the insurance company because I havent been to the doctor in 3 years.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-05-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
I keep wondering when the insurance companies are going to get smart and not cover "extreme sports".

My son Chris is a great example, he wakeboarded for over 10 years with nary a scratch, One trick gone wrong and broken femur. Close to $100K when all was said and done with the rod removed. Luckily I have good insurance and it only cost him a grand. The real racket is what they charge you if you don't have insurance because the insurance companies usually end up getting about 40% of the charges written off.

Anyhow sorry to hear about your accident!

(Message edited by richd on April 05, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-05-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
yeah, fo sho. Someone is losing their arse on J-rod. Knock on wood for some better luck this year. Insurance is expensive, but totally worth it. Luckily my employer pays mine, but I wouldn't do what I do without it.

Cr- good luck bro. I had a friend in the same predicament. He went two weeks without getting his broken tibia fixed because he applied for insurance after injuring himself. It was pretty brutal, but his insurance ended up covering it. He then went on to blow his other knee months later. I'm sure his insurance company was stoked on him.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-05-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Nick, Your corporate plan only makes you pay $36 per month. The premium is probably $200+.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-05-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
We have a PPO with bc/bs 2 adults 2 children,cost
us 852.00 a month, but when my son had to have his ACL replaced and minicus repaired 6mos ago it somewhere around 46,ooo it cost us 150.00 plus 100.00 for physical therapy, hate paying it,
but glad we had it then. GOOD LUCK and hospitals
will make payment arrangements.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-05-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Chris, man sorry to hear about your accident.
Many wishes for a speedy recovery.
Hope to see you soon on the water.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-05-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Kev just wanted to say howdy to any WW heading to the spring ride, this time tomorrow Dave and I would have been starting the drive. Have fun Dave be safe
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       04-06-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Chris, long time no talk! Hope you're feeling better man!
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-06-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
Great news guys and gals I just got home from my County medical insurance appointment and i qualified for their coverage. So surgery and sunday's er visit will be covered. I'm so fortunate and thankful. This was def. a lesson i had to learn the hard way. Thanks for all the suggestions and wishes
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-06-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
that's great news, man!! good luck with the surgery and recovery..
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-06-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
I need to liven this thread it up. Here's a couple pics of CRRacer pre-injury. No sweat chris, you'll be out there again soon!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Good to hear you got qualified for insurance.

-Steve

PS Photo's by Mister Umali
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-06-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
Good to hear that you qualified for insurance.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-17-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
Chris,

I have the answer for both your financial concerns over your injury and what to do during the down months. It's called POKER!!! Even Dave Williams will attest to your luck and skillz in Holdem!

Seriously thou....take care and best of luck in your recovery.

-Tyler
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-17-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
That's funny cuz I was just talking to him about that this morning. I told him he's have to crawl up the stairs to Geoff's poker room! :-)