Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
I am trying to figure out how to make my i phone a wireless modem, have any of you done this?
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-24-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
Yea, but I was cheap and bought PDA net from Cydia.

All you have to do is set up and Ad hoc network on your laptop. Connect to that network with your laptop. Then connect use the iphones wifi to that network. Start PDA net and it will take a few seconds to initialize and after that you have a wireless connection.

It has a 10 day trial to see if ya like it, but it was like $29 to buy it. Theres free way to do it by opening socks on terminal but i didnt have time to read about all that so i just bought a program that would be reliable.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-24-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Does this really work with an iPhone? That would be sweet if I could use it for a modem. Unfortunately, I don't even know what an ad hoc network is!
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
yea me neither. I went to Ziphone and accidently reset all my contacts and calander events. Suck for me. But If I figure it out Ill post it up
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-24-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
What does "jailbreaking" mean?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=jailbreak
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-25-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
i like that link
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-25-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
Its basically just a network that creates a wireless access point on your laptop that lets other computers see that wireless point and connect to it. Its like connecting to a wireless router accept its just connecting to another wireless card.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/edtech/presenter/doc/adhoc.html

Very easy to create one. On vista its like 3 clicks.

You have to jailbreak your iphone for it to work as a modem though. There are various programs once your jailbreak it that you can add through cydia (basically a jailbreak app store if you dont know what it is).

The iphone has some setting built in where if it cannot connect to the internet through its wifi connection it will kick back over to its 3G/Edge while keeping the wifi connection active.

Thats basically what it does the Iphone and computer get connected through the wireless network (you can use a usb cord too) and when the computer tries to use the wifi connection to connect to the internet the iphone tries to use the internet and when it cant find it kicks back over to 3G/Edge and keeps the wireless connection in the background. So the computer is still connected and can use the phones 3G connection as internet..... Atleast I think thats the basic premise behind it.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-25-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Heres PDA nets FAQ which has the step by step ways to set up a peer-to-peer network (ad hoc) for Mac, XP, and Vista.

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/wifi_setup.php
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-02-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
does anyone have any experince with programs for unlocking the iphone for use in other coutries?? im a little leary that it will wreck my phone but i am currently in the US and paying through the nose with roaming charges from canada. anyone have any solid feedback for me on the new 3G phone??
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-03-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
Id check out http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Thats the blog of the people who made the unlocking program (yellowsnow) is what i think its called. I didnt unlock mine because im on AT&T, but i think its just one extra step to unlock the sim card.