Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
A couple of people from the MU Wake/Ski team went out yesterday to Thomas Hill lake in Missouri, where the water was about 55-60 degrees and the air was 50. We were all a tad rusty after 3 months off, but the trip went great overall, and everyone had great sets. Everyone on the boat traded off taking pics, so I figured I would post em and see what you think.

note: also my first time on the roam (139, my 144 is on order currently...), and it was a blast.

This is what the ground looked like on the way there...Ice and snow.
Upload
Upload

It was cold.
Upload
Upload
Upload

There was a lot of fishing going on that day. We tried to steer clear as to not make enemies.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

My first set on a Roam 139...this board rocks
Upload

The obligitory "Such Is Life" style shot.
Upload

Tumble turn action
Upload

Peanut butter that is SAFE to eat
Upload
Upload
Upload

Overall, it was a great day. All we need now is more warm weather.

(Message edited by garret_s on February 23, 2007)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Forgot one of the coolest ones, Justin on a TS Indy...

(Message edited by garret_s on February 23, 2007)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Oops, here it is
Upload
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-23-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
Wow, I'm surprised that the water was 55 to 60 degrees . . . given that there was still snow on the ground.

Nice pics, though and thanks for posting.

I'm envious that you are able to get out there. . . still crummy weather here in the inland N.W.

Cheers.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Barrett

The reason that water is so warm is the cooling system or something from a local coal power plant has a hot water outlet on the arm that we ride on.

The side effect is that I probably can't have kids anymore, but its worth it to ride.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-23-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Very cool, nice pics!!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-23-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Garret,

Good job...that looks awesome. Now I am jealous. Water temps here will not be that warm until at least late April or early May. Got a new board that I am itchin to try too...:-(
Good thing that is Skippy peanut butter and not Peter Pan with poison. What is the scoop behind the peanut butter?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
The peanut butter went with some bread I had on the boat, but I ran out of bread, so I just started eating the peanut butter straight out of the container with a spoon. In that picture, its sitting on the dashboard of the Bu'
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-23-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Good times, I can't wait for some warm weather. Now we just need to get a cool dog, and bring it out with us.
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
man that pumps me up to ride!
nice pics Garret!
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-23-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
I really like how there are patches of snow all around
Old    mendo247            02-23-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
nice!
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
Garret- Nice pics! Makes me miss the days of hanging out and riding with my college wakeboard team.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-23-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
Great pics! And I'm jealous. When I was was reading your first post I was calling BS on the water temp. But then you mentioned why it's that warm. That's awesome to have a water heater to heat the lake water. Damn, wish we had that here!
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
good thing you guys stayed SAFE!! :-) that's how we do it in ATX!

cool pics ya'll...I was surprised as well on the water temps. Lake Austin is around 53 degrees right now....we'll bit hittin' it all weekend.
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-23-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
What lake are you on that's heated? I've heard of them before but never actually seen one or seen proof of one.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       02-23-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
Will,

There are quite a few "heated" lakes in Texas. Powerplant lakes. Yes, there are pleanty big to ski on and are pretty warm. Bastrop is one. Maybe Fayette Co. I was on Bastrop trying to kneeboard a few years back in July and it was so hot it was not even refreshing to jump in. I'd never thought I say water was too hot but it was!
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-23-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
Nice to see some riding. Not too bad with wet suits I guess? (yeah, I know it always helps to make your own personal "warm spot" in the water.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-23-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
Garret, get some of those pics up on the Missouri thread at MWW!

Nicolet, what college team did you ride on? Milwaukee?
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-24-2007, 2:13 AM Reply   
ok...i am stoked on that you guys are riding in MS but for christ sakes! wear some shorts over your wetsuit ....do you wear biking shorts on a daily basis?would you feel comfortable going to the mall shopping in that outfit>?

come on now

bash on me for "looking cool" but it is also about not lookin like a
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2007, 3:17 AM Reply   
Garret s. How do you load your LXI? We have one and getting the wake sorted is a pain.

cheers
toby
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-24-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
Will: The lake is Thomas Hill in North Missouri. It's held at a constant 60+ during the winter, so technically if we were all insane, we could ride through the winter. The only problem is the 1 hour tow to the lake from MU, so we really start going around early march.

Mike: I'll do that when I get a second, I am unpacking from going to the KC boat show.

Jonny - We are actually riding in Missouri, not Mississippi (MO). I had one pair of swim trunks, and I was borrowing a wetsuit, so unless you think it's legit to free-ball all up in someone else's wetsuit, I just had to make due with what I had. And, I don't think it looks like... "a," but I rather like how my ass looks in a wetsuit.

And yes, I wear biker shorts, every day, to the mall. That's how we roll in MO
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2007, 12:58 AM Reply   
Toby, sorry forgot your Q:

We have the wedge down in back, 700lb sack in the very back of the boat (take out seat), a 600lb on each side of the cowl, and about 300lbs in the nose, and we just sit everyone on that bench seat next to the driver.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-25-2007, 11:03 PM Reply   
haha whats up Garret.....
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2007, 12:00 AM Reply   
Adam,

Not a lot man, just trying to get the season off to a start. How's riding going for you this year?
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-26-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Haha yeah we went out for the first time this year the same as yall!! It started off pretty good...hear yall are heading to orlando for break, was hoping we could met up but i am going to be leaving when yall are heading down.....
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Adam,

We will be down there on the 24ish I think...when are you going to be there?
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-26-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
like they 18th -24th haha