Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
What's up guys? Just wanted to give a heads up... I struggled with my ballast pumps on my '05 X2 pretty much from the time it was new. I never wanted to bring it to the dealer for that as everything else was good and I always got the pumps to work eventually.

I was informed recently that there are updated impellers available for the Jabsco pumps. The updated impellers are yellow and work flawlessly. I used to have to flip the switch 10-20 times to get the pumps to reverse directions. Now it only takes one try.

This may be the case for some of the other manufacturers that use the same ballast puppy pumps.

Anyway, just wanted to give the heads up. I've known so many people that have battled these pumps over the years. The job took me about an hour and I'm soo stoked I finally did it. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do it last year.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
BTW, the impellers are around $25 each and may or may not be covered under warranty. Check with your dealer.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       02-05-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
thanks for the info...I have been having the same prob.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-05-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
I only had a problem with the port pump. Turned out to be a bad pump. Dealer replaced under warranty and switched to the yellow impellers. Golden!!
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-05-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
The yellow self lubricating ones have been aroud for a little over a year. The manufactuer of the old impellers had a flaw where the impellers needed to be shaved to work properly. Yes MC has replaced many of them under there warranty system. It is a great system that does not allow any king of back flow. 2007 is even more unique A timed system that does not allow for burnout of the pumps if you foregt to turn them off. Also the ballast now exhausts out of the bottom of the boat vs. the side. Faster emtry, faster fill.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Never did understand why they went to the under-water exhaust. Now you don't know when they are done emptying other than perhaps to rely on the 'trusty' gauges.
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-05-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thanks Evan. I have had the same troubles with my 02 XStar but I always thought it was power issues. I will definalty check this out though!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
Glad to have helped Chris... I always thought it was a power issue with my boat, too. I even took apart the switches, cleaned the carbon from the contacts and tightened the terminals. All to no avail.

One of my friends has been struggling with his '01 since new. It's been to the dealer a bunch of times, after which it works only for a short time. I'm going to try to throw some new impellers in for him and see if it fixes the problem.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-05-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
yellow ones are put in if replaced under warrenty. the yellow ones were put in after one of the old ones shattered in the pump. have still had to take it to a dealer to have pieces taken out that get lodged in the pump and don't allow it to empty.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-05-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Where can you get them, besides a dealer? Is there a website?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-05-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
Ever since I put the yellow ones,my front ballast doesn't work.The pump turns on,the impeller spins and no water come in or out.The old one broke off and maybe getting stuck but I already pulled out like 5 broken blades.
The back one still work flawlessly,even tho I forgot them on for like hours at a time on the trailer going home.I guess I should change those before those break of and possibly get stuck.

And they charged me $39.95 for the impeller

Any good ideas for trying to get something out if possibly stuck??
Old     (x2rider)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-05-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
I also had the same problem with my 04 X2. Over here in Australia it took a little longer to get these new impellers. I completely rewired the ballast pumps with new cable that was about 3 times the size. It was really difficult to hide in behind the side panel. It has worked flawlessly since i did it 18 month ago.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-05-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
i am sure that there is a piece still stuck. that was exactly what happened to me. i could not empty the tank on the starboard side. the only thing with leaving them on will burn out the pump. shouldn't hurt the impellers.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
Our 06 has had zero problems with the pumps after 120 hours. That is even after accidentally leaving on one of the pumps several times after emptying. It just trips the breaker, you reset it, and you're good to go.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the 411 Evan...
I always got them to work by moving in reverse slowly and turning the pump on but I will bring this up at my next service/warranty trip.